West Ham United 1-5 Newcastle United (05/04/2023)

BlueStar

1 minute ago, Pata said:

Last post on this subject but VAR 100% rescued us and your logic doesn't make much sense. Lino raised his flag because he thought it was offside, he keeps it down if he thinks Joelinton is onside. It gets checked in any case so the 'please check this' doesn't make sense.

Makes one wonder why we have linesmen at all any more!

I can accept the counterargument re the linesman's flag on this occasion but, again, my main gripe is about the loss of spontaneous emotion, regardless of the outcome. I know we're absolutely miles apart on VAR though so pointless going on, like you say. My view for a while is that it should just be binned from offsides.

Fab Schar's pass was delicious. Great run from big Jo aswell. 

So proud of this team. Every one of them now are playing great. 

Burn despite playing to his maximum is still a worry each game though. Part of me is still convinced Targett would improve us further if he gets back in. 

But it's getting increasingly difficult to say what our best lineup is anymore. 

So many players in form.

Edited by alexf

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I can accept the counterargument re the linesman's flag on this occasion but, again, my main gripe is about the loss of spontaneous emotion, regardless of the outcome. I know we're absolutely miles apart on VAR though so pointless going on, like you say. My view for a while is that it should just be binned from offsides.

Then if it's binned just for offsides then tonight a perfectly good goal would have been wrongly disallowed.  That's why VAR is good.  You get the CORRECT decision.

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah, that's true but IMO it's essential for especially offsides. I didn't really celebrate that goal either because everyone seemed to think he was off and you couldn't see him on TV when the ball was played.

Just try to celebrate every goal in any case, it's pointless to worry that it might get chalked off. It's still closer to goal than when the ball is not in the net.

Edited by Pata

1 minute ago, Pata said:

Yeah, that's true and IMO it's essential for especially offsides. I didn't really celebrate that goal either because everyone seemed to think he was off and you couldn't see him on TV when the ball was played.

Just try to celebrate every goal in any case, it's pointless to worry that it might get chalked off. It's still closer to goal than when the ball is not in the net.

I was actually had the opposite feelings.  I thought "oh well, it's offside".  Then I totally exploded when VAR intervened.

4 minutes ago, Rod said:

Then if it's binned just for offsides then tonight a perfectly good goal would have been wrongly disallowed.  That's why VAR is good.  You get the CORRECT decision.

Yea, the guy that played him on was out of the camera angle  so not sure what he saw live. Linesman should keep the flag down. VAR did a job today.

Edited by McDog

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

:lol: that's one way of overcoming it. I might start celebrating through balls now n'all; it's more goaly than a throw-in after all.

(just being a dick x)

32 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Gabby's just referenced the Coventry away game in 98, also 1-5.

iirc much like this it wasn't as sublime as it lookied, though we thought it was the start of 'sexy football' under Gullit.

also iirc we played better the following season and lost 4-1

Was at that 4-1 game, we created loads and couldn't score, Dyer ran them ragged believe it or not

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

:lol: that's one way of overcoming it. I might start celebrating through balls now n'all; it's more goaly than a throw-in after all.

(just being a dick x)

:ben:

12 minutes ago, Rod said:

Agree with this but think they should go to the system used in the champions league where it’s fully automated with a hawk eye type system.

The current system is to easy to be manipulated by our dodgy officials for the likes of Man Reds and Liverpool 

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Feel bad for Fabianski like, I generally think he's been one of the most underrated 'keepers in Premier league history 

Made two absolutely brilliant saves as well from Maxi and Murph.

49 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Gabby's just referenced the Coventry away game in 98, also 1-5.

iirc much like this it wasn't as sublime as it lookied, though we thought it was the start of 'sexy football' under Gullit.

also iirc we played better the following season and lost 4-1

I was at both games however drink blurs the merits of our performances.

1 minute ago, Disco said:

Made two absolutely brilliant saves as well from Maxi and Murph.

Was a decent bit of keeping for when Wilson probably should've shot first time too.

'kin hell, we could've had 8 and we were sub-par :lol: