West Ham United 1-5 Newcastle United (05/04/2023)

BlueStar

They started well, we looked shell shocked at their start then they gifted us two goals. We were shite from then until half time, way off it then they gifted us a third and that was that really.

I think Sunday was a better performance and West Ham troubled us more than Man Utd, despite us scoring 5 tonight. Some of the West Ham defending, my word.  Particularly Zouma, absolutely hopeless for both of Joelintons goals.

Not taking anything away from us though. Maxis cross for the first and a well taken header, Schars pass for our second, Joelintons well taken second.

Next two games make our season for me. Villa away being the tougher of the two. 

What a season though.

Weird game, in retrospect.

Felt like we could so easily have been in a real game today but everything just happened for us at the right time.

Balances out a few of those games at the start of the year where we should have won but the ball just wouldn't fucking bounce our way.

20 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Sorry, edited since then cos of a crucial typo. :bluestar:

It might've been a goal *without VAR, is what I meant to say. 

I don't think we necessarily got the goal because of VAR. I think if VAR doesn't exist, the linesman maybe keeps his flag down and that's that. 

My initial point was that I didn't celebrate because I could sense the intervention coming one way or the other. That being one of the cornerstones of my hatred of it. 

I meant more this tbh. VAR checks regardless of whether the linesman puts their flag up, so it makes no sense to say that without VAR he wouldn't flag.

I take your last point though, it happens to me sometimes as well 

Another great win, even though it was by a bigger margin it didn’t feel as dominant as Sunday but to get back to back wins is great.

Bruno was MOTM for me again just running the show again and Soucek failed to put any pressure on him like Mctominay on Sunday.

Longstaff put his usual shift and Big Joe got 2 goals though being honest I think he looked rusty at times. Willock came on and continued his brilliant form as well.

Defensively I think Bowen gave Burn a hard time and Pope looked a little shaky by his high standards. Schar was defensively excellent with some key interceptions and if TAA had played that ball for the second Jamie Redknapp would have jacked it over it in the sky studio.

Big Sven had a pretty solid game but Zouma was his man on the corner and he tried a few high risk passes which didn’t come off but it’s more a sign of how good he has been and how high his standards are that I’m even mentioning that.

Tripps was top notch again, he’s like a metronome just linking the play up so well and he always seems to be available and always in the right place. 

Out wide it’s great to see Maxi looking such a threat, hopefully he keeps it up and more goals and assists will come. Murphy did his job well and pressed great for the third goal. Gordon worked great defensively when he came on.

Now to the cream of our performance the forwards. Wilson looked back to his pre World Cup self with a performance leading the line well, holding up the ball, linking up play and of course 2 goals.

I really feel for him though as he had a great game but then Isak comes on and just exudes class from the first minute and shows why he’s a cut above with his touches and movements. 

Everything is coming up roses, Brentford will be a battle on Saturday hopefully we have more in the tank if the 2 of us. Their open style might suit our game 

We were due to give someone a hammering with the way we've been playing, should have been Sunday tbh. Ironic that it happens when we don't play anywhere near our best. Also first time we've scored 5 away from home since 1998!