Aston Villa 3-0 Newcastle United (15/04/2023)

Disco

Burn should not have started after being rinsed for the last games against pace. Big Joe on the right side was just not working. Gordon should not have started and it showed. Bruno G was marked all game with two players tightly, we never tried to punish them for that. Trippier got rinsed again and again on the right when pushing up. Same with Schar, he got smacked on the pace. But our midfield in general was so fucking bad. The space we were giving them was never adressed, even after the half-time. Isak did the best he could with the few scraps he could manage to get and Murphy didnt help out back either. Terrible game, late subs, very bad tactical choices and not changing in half time. Poor managment from Howe this game. But please please please do not start fucking Burn with Gordon next game, they dont help each other and Burn just needs to be benched.

In the pre match thread I literally bigged up how good we would be with Bruno and Joelinton paired up, and Willock as the carrier, couldn't have been more wrong. 

Before the goal we got an early warning when Watkins hit the post in the first few minutes, from then on we constantly left huge gaps between the centre backs, and Watkins chose to expose Trippier. 

Once they scored it was perfect to go down at every opportunity, the ref played right into it, gave them everything they wanted.

Although that left side looked atrocious in the first half, Gordon not interested, and Burn looking clumsy, nothing really altered in the second, other than Almiron looking like he could score, should he stay composed.

No problem with losing like that, it's a bit humiliating, but, it was going to happen again, the only slight issue I did have, was quite a few were nowhere near their usual levels. We looked stressed or something? Was a bizarre turnout considering our recent excellent run.

Guess we need to galvanise for the Spurs game, get Saint-Maximin back on the left and Miggy on the right.

Edited by mighty__mag

Just now, hakka said:

Poor from us and good from Villa. We've barely lost all season, all teams are vulnerable to the occasional defeat. We can do better for sure, but demanding perfection and not to lose away to teams like Villa, who are doing well and 6th late in the season, is bit unrealistic and unfair.

I don't think anyone was demanding perfection, always thought this was a tough fixture. In the end it wasn't though, it was a rout.

Just now, ASaltyMag said:

SOB ON THE TYNE!!!! 

3-0 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA NEWCASTLE UNITED, YOU'LL ALWAYS BE SHIT

It’s a Saturday, it’s nice outside, your team just won 3-0, go touch some grass 

I think (hope) we can put that one down to a very bad day at the office. Pretty much every player had a stinker, particularly in midfield. Those games thankfully are few and far between these days!

Only real positive was seeing Miggy back.

Villa were excellent ? 

Edited by Shadow Puppets

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Watkins played very well but there were far too many speculative balls that ended up being laser-guided passes to him. 

Swear if we had dropped off into more of a lower block, they would have not had any answers.

It was just balls over the top that they were able to play after beating our press, which was struggling with the number of players they had creating triangles with their narrow 4-2-2-2 setup.

On top of that their forward two running the channels against our slower full backs was an added headache. Made Watkins look like he was amazing, but it wasn't exactly difficult for him.

It's a unique setup they play. They did well. Howe will review and adjust for next time. 

Wolves (H)

Forest (A)

Man Utd (H)

West Ham (A)

Brentford (A)

Villa (A)

15 points from that run of games is fantastic.

This result has come at the right time IMO and will fire us up for Spurs, absolutely no doubt in my mind after this that we will win next week. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I don't think anyone was demanding perfection, always thought this was a tough fixture. In the end it wasn't though, it was a rout.

There's plenty quite unhappy. I think it's unrealistic to think we wouldn't occasionally slip up like we've done today. I can write it off and still believe we have excellent chance for top 4.