Aston Villa 3-0 Newcastle United (15/04/2023)

Disco

34 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think a few England careers will have suffered from yesterday's defeat mind. Southgate was there, and maybe Pope was the only one who didn't come out badly, although he looked very second best to Martinez on the day, which is no suprise.

Same goes for Wilson who didn't really do all that much wrong, but Watkins scoring a hatrick should see him leapfrog above Callum into the squad I reckon. Especially given how hard a time he gave our back four.

Which brings me on to Trippier. He's still a class player but he got owned yesterday. And the calls for Dan Burn to be called up should probably be quietly rested now. No harm done.

I thought Pope was awful, man. Didn’t come out to claim and 2 of those goals were right at him. The disallowed he had his hand on. Re: England, I wouldn’t take much stock in yesterdays performance on the main. Everyone is allowed a bad day, the favorites especially 

4 hours ago, Rich said:

I was pissy that he turned us down, but he’s some boy. And his good morning/good afternoon/good ebening crack is five star.

I was a bit gutted when he turned us down. Thought he would be good for us and he has proven his class at Villa. 

All that said. It worked out alright in the end, didn’t it?! I’m glad he did turn us down and we got Howe, in hindsight. Just a shame he went to Villa and now have even more competition for the European places. 

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

And surely no one was serious about Burn for England. :lol:

Slightly unfair I think. At the time going into the WC, he was doing ok and part of the same back five that (I think) still has the best defensive record in the league.

England (if I remenber rightly) didn't have a fit left back, so he would have gave Southgate versatility too, in being able to play LB and CB. Was definitely worth a shout at the time.

But lately, I think he's been found out somewhat that pacy players can have a go at and rattle him, and think maybe Targett is worth his place back.

Edited by TK-421

5 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Slightly unfair I think. At the time going into the WC, he was doing ok and part of the same back five that still has the best defensive record in the league.

England (if I remenber rightly) didn't have a fit left back, so he would have gave Southgate versaitility too, in being ablr to play LB and CB. Was defintiely worth a shout at the time.

But lately, I think he's been found out somewhat that pacy players can have a go at and rattle him, and think maybe Targetet is worth his place back.

England had Shaw and Trippier after Chillwell got injured

Burn is simply not an England international level footballer. He is effective in the role he’s doing for Newcastle though. His limitations are well known and have been there all season (Man Utd away game for example), just when there’s a defeat it’s re-examined, when it’s a win it’s glossed over. Howe has accepted these weaknesses as part of his team selection as Howe sees the benefits of having Burns strengths as more important.

There is no sudden realisation from opponents that a massive CB playing at LB is going to be exposed against pace 

I don't think there's too much wrong with his defending even now, it often looks awkward but he's no liability and talented wingers will always go past fullbacks at times. The bigger problem IMO is that he's not getting as much time on the ball and is really struggling in possession. 

I have full faith in Howe, if he thinks what Burn brings to the team outweighs the negatives I trust he's right.

Too many of our players showed their limits yesterday, we've been getting great results from the likes of Murphy, Willock and such, but it was a comedown to realise that Villa spent money on some decent players under Gerrard, he was just too thick to get much out of them.

2 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Main criticisms over the last decade of him are being overly pragmatic in league campaigns (but that's part of why he's been the king of the Europa), lacking a consistent philosophy, and he struggled with man management of the 'bigger clubs' and players. 

They whooped us yesterday but I'm still not worried about them going after CL next season, weirdly. 

I believe that's where Howe will distinguish himself from him in years to come.

37 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I was a bit gutted when he turned us down. Thought he would be good for us and he has proven his class at Villa. 

All that said. It worked out alright in the end, didn’t it?! I’m glad he did turn us down and we got Howe, in hindsight. Just a shame he went to Villa and now have even more competition for the European places. 

Well, it's for the good of keeping things interesting at least. It's hard to imagine but it must be boring being a Manchester City fan or Celtic during Rangers' wilderness years.

Ankle issue is knacking Bruno. Certainly did yesterday in hindsight, thought it was just an well below subpar performance like the entire team but if he's unable to keep up with the press then that's an issue, especially against better sides. As soon as we can afford to we need to get him under the knife.

17 hours ago, Miercoles said:

Am I crazy or was it offside before the throw in on their second goal? Like they didn't bother with the flag because it ended up in touch, but then Villa scored from the throw in.

I might just be crazy though.

really pissed me off that one.

still should have been able to prevent the goal though.

56 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Ankle issue is knacking Bruno. Certainly did yesterday in hindsight, thought it was just an well below subpar performance like the entire team but if he's unable to keep up with the press then that's an issue, especially against better sides. As soon as we can afford to we need to get him under the knife.

If the season was a dead rubber now then I wouldn’t be surprised if they rested him and he had some kind of surgery. They’re clearly trying to manage it as best they can because he can still be effective and we need him for the top four push even if he’s not 100%.

We've done brilliantly this season and perspective needed with yesterdays loss but it’s fairly clear where we need to strengthen to go up another level. A proper left back with pace who can help the attack, probably a number 6 type midfielder to help control games, and a top class goal scoring winger. We could probably also do with an attacking midfielder and a right sided centre half who is quick and physical too. 

Like SAF once said (and i'm pretty sure it was after we pasted them 5-0), sometimes you just have to take your medicine and go home. EH will undoubtedly have learned a metric fuck ton from this. A true, though painful, learning experience for us and Howe will analyze the fuck out of it and come out better for it.

Edited by LionOfGosforth

46 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Like SAF once said (and i'm pretty sure it was after we pasted them 5-0), sometimes you just have to take your medicine and go home. EH will undoubtedly have learned a metric fuck ton from this. A true, though painful, learning experience for us and Howe will analyze the fuck out of it and come out better for it.