Everton 1-4 Newcastle United (27/04/2023)

Disco

1 minute ago, Broadsword said:

I thought burn headed it to Shar? He’s up there where the ball lands for sure.

Like  I said, I need to see the whole move again, as the VAR just showed a still at the time (with burn in offsied position), and cant remember if the ball was in shot, but wasn't certain if the cross had cleared everyone or been headed.

People who claim it’s all down to investment or ‘blood money’ have emotionally deluded themselves and are crying salty, salty tears.

The recent success is 80% down to the management/coaching, how many examples can we give of teams spunking money only to flop badly? 

7 minutes ago, Nine said:

People who claim it’s all down to investment or ‘blood money’ have emotionally deluded themselves and are crying salty, salty tears.

The recent success is 80% down to the management/coaching, how many examples can we give of teams spunking money only to flop badly? 

Could easily give dozens of examples, but Chelsea are clearly the best one...biggest spend in history over a couple of windows and can't buy a win at the minute.

Possibly Man U too....1.5 billion spent and not a title for years

23 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Like  I said, I need to see the whole move again, as the VAR just showed a still at the time (with burn in offsied position), and cant remember if the ball was in shot, but wasn't certain if the cross had cleared everyone or been headed.

I think it was cleared away by the defender but Burn challenged for it so definitely interfering with play.

My problem with VAR is who flagged that up (it wasn't the lino) and do they scrutinise every goal as much as that. For example, if that's Liverpool or Man Utd does it get called back or just ignored, given that literally nobody else noticed it or suspected anything was amiss, no defenders appealled for it, nothing. And that's before we get onto "clear and obvious" ffs.

Not saying it is being abused but it's definitely open to it.

Edited by geordiesteve710
Pendantism

8 minutes ago, McCormick said:

So what do our players have to do to be considered “top 4 quality”? Keep hearing outsiders and pundits saying we don’t have a top 4 squad on paper. 

This is still a running theme from last January. 'They've spent loads of money' followed by 'wouldn't take any of their players in our XI' [emoji38]

10 minutes ago, McCormick said:

So what do our players have to do to be considered “top 4 quality”? Keep hearing outsiders and pundits saying we don’t have a top 4 squad on paper. 

Play for someone else probably. 

3 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

I think it was cleared away by the defender but Burn challenged for it so definitely interfering with play.

My problem with VAR is who flagged that up (it wasn't the lino) and do they scrutinise every goal as much as that. For example, if that's Liverpool or Man Utd does it get called back or just ignored, given that literally nobody else noticed it or suspected anything was amiss, no defenders appealled for it, nothing. And that's before we get onto "clear and obvious" ffs.

Not saying it is being abused but it's definitely open to it.

I'm sure they check every goal for possible offside to be fair. 

It's annoying because it doesn't matter if Burn was inside or off as I didn't impact the play. However if that goes against us and they ignored it, we would be calling it a corrupt decision.

Just disappointing for Schar as it was such a nice goal.

11 minutes ago, alexf said:

I'm sure they check every goal for possible offside to be fair. 

It's annoying because it doesn't matter if Burn was inside or off as I didn't impact the play. However if that goes against us and they ignored it, we would be calling it a corrupt decision.

Just disappointing for Schar as it was such a nice goal.

Or we would be none the wiser as it wouldn't be shown and we would just crack on.

I know it's the right decision, but just intuitively it seems wrong as the offside had fuck all to do with the build up and final strike which was a beauty.

31 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Everton themselves spent absolutely tons. That’s football, question is if you spend it well and have the right structure in place to get the max out of the players. 

£800m or something, not sure if that includes the stadium or not, which they need to find another £150m for to finish it off, or face a £350m bill to put the dock back to the way it was. 

27 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I don't think we do, but that's all to the credit of the manager and players. We're over-achieving on a massive scale, and it just shows how much can be achieved by team spirit, organisation and confidence.

The first half was an exercise in showing grit and managing the occasion. Of course we were a bit untidy and gave the ball away under pressure, but it was always going to be a scrappy game. 

I firmly believe we were fully prepared for that first half and it went pretty much as expected. 

Maybe when we're as good as Man City we can just play our way through those moments, but most teams have to just dig in and battle. Whenever we had the ball you could see we were still trying to play as much as we could. 

4 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I don't think we do, but that's all to the credit of the manager and players. We're over-achieving on a massive scale, and it just shows how much can be achieved by team spirit, organisation and confidence.

I don’t think we’re overachieving, our level is around 4th based on our play-style, synergy and first xi quality. Players like Joelinton and Wilock performing is seemingly being treated as a novelty, when they’re clearly quality.

Just now, McCormick said:

I don’t think we’re overachieving, our level is around 4th based on our play-style, synergy and first xi quality. Players like Joelinton and Wilock performing is seemingly being treated as a novelty, when they’re clearly quality.

I don’t think we’re overachieving either. Since January 2022 our level/points return is pretty solidly (Prem average wise)exactly were we are, third. 
:notbad: