OFFICIAL: Joelinton - Player of the Season 2022/23

Big River

OFFICIAL: Player of the Season 2022/23  

604 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your player of the season?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/05/23 at 11:00

I voted for Bruno, probably due to the fact that when he doesn't play, we look toothless. Add to that, he's been playing below 100% towards the end of the season.

Trippier would have got my second vote.

21 hours ago, Displayname said:

Ended up with Wilson.

Honorable mentions:

Pope, Tripper, Schär, Botman, Almiron, Bruno, Joelinton, Isak, Willock :D Hard year to choose.

I've gone for Murphy, as he always seems to give 100%, he's not a household name - but deserves credit for persistence and if there were a stat for the number of times someone had hit the post/bar - i'm sure he'd not be far of the top spot.

Hope he remains with us - as not certain what Howe will do to the squad - but here's to him - get's my vote.

Burn deserves a big mention this season.

When Howe first put him in at LB I was confused as fuck. Thought it was obvious that he was just going to get targeted over and over with pace and we'd end up fucked. Then we had that great run and I understood that you don't wanna take him out in the middle of it when he's playing well, but in the back of my head I was always thinking the hot streak would end at some point and teams would work him out. They never did though. 

Even when Target was back to whatever full fitness is for him, I consistently expected to see Burn dropped yet it never happened because he never deserved it.

I've spent pretty much the entire season expecting/wanting him dropped but now that we're at the end I've just got to hold my hands up and say fair play to him. 43 games later and he's still smashing it.

(Side note, how the fuck is he only on 6 yellows for the whole season?!?!)

In terms of ranking the players' performances this season, as a top 10 I'd go:

1. Trippier

2. Schar

3. Wilson

4. Joelinton

5. Longstaff

6. Almiron

7. Botman

8. Willock

9. Bruno

10. Isak

Feels harsh on the likes Big Dan and Pope, and even Murphy who've been good and important too. Pope would be up there but I reckon we'd have probably won a cup if he hadn't done a derp. 

Surprised Wilson has only got a few votes, been immense this season in front of goal, and his off the ball work has been exceptional, constantly pestering the CB's and pressing them. Plus he's been basically injury free. 

He got my vote but it was a tough choice, so many stand out players. Also think Botman has been superb, young lad in his first season in the PL and he's been absolutely solid. So good in fact that in often goes unnoticed imo. (not on here but by the general media) 

6 hours ago, Scotty66 said:

Surprised Wilson has only got a few votes, been immense this season in front of goal, and his off the ball work has been exceptional, constantly pestering the CB's and pressing them. Plus he's been basically injury free. 

He got my vote but it was a tough choice, so many stand out players. Also think Botman has been superb, young lad in his first season in the PL and he's been absolutely solid. So good in fact that in often goes unnoticed imo. (not on here but by the general media) 

Eh? The general media overrate him if anything. He’s been very good for his first season admittedly.

I went Schar. Best season for us by a mile. Botman wasn't far behind mind bearing in mind his age and first season in a new league. Could just as easily have picked Joelinton, Trippier, Longstaff, Almiron or Wilson.

8 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Pope, difference between Champions League place and possibly missing out on Europe altogether imo.

Howay man, I love Pope but we're at worst making EL with Dubravka in goal this season. We would probably have still qualified for the conference league with Alnwick in goal this season. 

Just now, Nobody said:
8 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Pope, difference between Champions League place and possibly missing out on Europe altogether imo.

Howay man, I love Pope but we're at worst making EL with Dubravka in goal this season. We would probably have still qualified for the conference league with Alnwick in goal this season. 

Oof, not sure I agree with that, like! Pope has saved our bacon in several tight games and he also makes a big tactical contribution in how far, how quickly and how effectively he comes out. There's also the Palace penalties.

I don't think Tsunami's reason is enough to make him player of the year though, because if you take out any one of the key figures, you get the same non-CL result.