Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

So Milan have played 2 home games in the Champions League this season, and each time the other team has a fan stabbed.

Just kick them out.

Apparently a police officer was hurt as well. Edit- in a clash with PSG fans. Smh.

Edited by Joe1984

I guess it's hope PSG beat or at least draw with Milan later which would mean that we at worst would have a winner takes all chance of 3rd against Milan on the final day. If Milan beat PSG then it will be fairly likely we finish bottom of the group, even on 7 points.

4 minutes ago, oldtype said:

I'm not sure I even want Europa at this point to be honest. I don't know if we can handle all those extra games.

We'll have a lot of our injured players back and maybe a signing or two in January. We have to get at least the EL, a run in that would be tremendous for the club and fanbase. It is also a route into the CL next season too of course. 

6 minutes ago, oldtype said:

I'm not sure I even want Europa at this point to be honest. I don't know if we can handle all those extra games.

Im in favour of having a good go at Europa, I think our group of death has been a big problem in how it has restricted us in rotating the squad and to stop this happening in future seasons we need to build up our coefficient.

On balance it would be a pisser to wear ourselves out and get injuries for nothing in these remaining two games when there's next to no chance of qualifying.

97/98 revisited. A narrow defeat in Paris followed by a dead-rubber against Milan to follow.

I'd rather qualify for the CL than get to the Europa league final, but I'd rather win the Europa league than qualify for the CL.  Theoretically almost all the players will be back by then which puts a different complexion on things.

Chances will still be slim so not much bothered what the outcome is now. There's virtue either way.

I'd take a Milan win tonight to keep us in it even if we go bottom.

Think before the match I'd have taken 3rd if we lost but fuck it, I want us to have every chance of going through. We can take Europa League as a consolation prize if we finish outside the top 5 in the league, let's do everything we can to try finishing top two still here. All it takes is a Milan win tonight and for us to pinch a win at Paris and we're in there still. 

I just can't see us winning in Paris at all, especially with the stretched squad. We'll realistically lose, in which case we'd definitely be out, so I'd rather put eggs in one basket and know that if we beat Milan stay in Europe a bit longer.

Prefer Milan to have less to play for than us by our meeting and a casual game and win ala Dynamo Kyiv to round things off on a positive note.

*also means we might get to enjoy and savour it for what it is as fans - Milan in the CL - with nothing/little to lose.

Edited by Jonas

I just can't make up my mind about Europa. :lol:  As I keep saying I really love it as a competition, I've got some really strong memories of it feeling like the one that would finally bring us silverware. And I think it's for that reason that I don't want it to feel like a consolation or, much worse, seen as an inconvenience. It should be a pleasure to be in, and something to be celebrated - an achievement, not a failure. Just being in Europe is class; it's not all about the bloody CL.

The bottom line is I want us to progress in 1st or 2nd of the group we're already in. But, if we do drop, I dearly hope it's not seen as uncool to suddenly be in a competition that we could actually win.

I’d love the Europa if I thought we had a chance in it but with our squad situation we’ll likely not be able to compete, not to the level where we could win it. I’d prefer to just bow out and focus our efforts on the national cups and trying for top five