Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

5 hours ago, 54 said:

Worst video I've seen from him. Agree with his big point that people are writing off Spurs too quickly but the way he justifies it is mostly nonsense. Market value matters but it really shouldn't be used like that. I mean he's flashing a combined eleven that has Porro playing as RB over Trippier due to almost 4x bigger market value ffs and Kulusevski and Porro getting permanent transfers doesn't really make them stronger than they were last season as he implies. 

Edited by Pata

I dunno, besides Porro, I’d somewhat agree with that combined xi (maybe slightly harsh on Joelinton and you could easily shoehorn Isak in that  team as well though). We can all agree that a lot of our squad options aren’t great either.

Edited by McCormick

Just now, McCormick said:

I dunno, besides Porro, I’d somewhat agree with that combined xi (maybe slightly harsh on Joelinton though). We can all agree that a lot of our squad options aren’t great either.

Yeah but I don't think you can make a combined eleven just based on player's market value. Like I said, I agree with his general point but his arguments were IMO really poor.

Sickening that this thread is chatting poorly ran criminal enterprises that aren’t in Europe and not the fine work of Zalgiris Vilnius who held Galatasaray to a 2-2 this evening.

I still believe Spurs need the right signings to change the culture at the club and build a winning mentality under Ange Postecoglou. Eddie Howe is proof that you can build momentum quite quickly with the right ingredients, and he did a tremendous job of keeping us up in his first season.

I don't think that escape would have been possible without Kieran Trippier and Dan Burn. Both came from successful environments that placed a high demand on accountability. I think we had a group that was receptive to change before that, but sometimes you need one or two to show the way. 

As of right now, I don't know if their new signings fit that description. Perhaps he can drag that quality out of certain individuals, but I want to see how they react to their first setback under Ange. 

This Rakow vs Qarabag match on TNT Sports has been class, genuinely [emoji38], 3-2 to the hosts in injury time, but so many twists and turns, and finely poised heading into the return leg, especially with no away goals rule now.

21 hours ago, Pata said:

Worst video I've seen from him. Agree with his big point that people are writing off Spurs too quickly but the way he justifies it is mostly nonsense. Market value matters but it really shouldn't be used like that. I mean he's flashing a combined eleven that has Porro playing as RB over Trippier due to almost 4x bigger market value ffs and Kulusevski and Porro getting permanent transfers doesn't really make them stronger than they were last season as he implies. 

They could certainly finish ahead of us because they're not a terrible team and we may struggle with Europe, but I feel like I'm missing something with the amount of pundits and journalists who think Spurs are going to suddenly do well this season. Their transfers so far only improve them slightly, they have a manager who's never been in a league that's close in standard to the PL and the man who seems to win most games by himself is likely to leave. Seem to be a lot of assumptions that every single player who underperformed at Spurs (and Chelsea) last season will suddenly get back to normal next month.

22 hours ago, McCormick said:

I dunno, besides Porro, I’d somewhat agree with that combined xi (maybe slightly harsh on Joelinton and you could easily shoehorn Isak in that  team as well though). We can all agree that a lot of our squad options aren’t great either.

Can't not have Isak in the best 11

Edited by duo

2 hours ago, duo said:

Can't not have Isak in the best 11

Definitely, if the imaginary combined XI plays with two CFs.  He wouldn't get ahead of Kane, and while he's a superb footballer, I'm not convinced he walks into a position on the flanks.

Someone (probably @Paullow) is gonna have to explain to me how we end up getting six teams qualifying , from what’s left of the qualifying phase?

Realise there’s a ‘League Path’ and a ‘Champions Path’, but can’t work out what’s what?

28 minutes ago, SteV said:

Someone (probably @Paullow) is gonna have to explain to me how we end up getting six teams qualifying , from what’s left of the qualifying phase?

Realise there’s a ‘League Path’ and a ‘Champions Path’, but can’t work out what’s what?

I've no idea if this goes some way to explaining that or not, but here anyway. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023–24_UEFA_Champions_League#Distribution

Yeah, I would have just posted the same above wiki link. 6 places available, 4 via Champions route and 2 via League route. 2 teams get byes to the Champions route Play Off round, a one tie shoot out to get through, and will be joined by 6 other teams (still TBD, and still a while off), whereby the 4 winners will advance to the group stage proper.

No teams have Playoff round byes in the League route, but eventually 4 teams will make it to that round, possibly Rangers, and those 4 will compete for the 2 final spots.

5 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Yeah, I would have just posted the same above wiki link. 6 places available, 4 via Champions route and 2 via League route. 2 teams get byes to the Champions route Play Off round, a one tie shoot out to get through, and will be joined by 6 other teams (still TBD, and still a while off), whereby the 4 winners will advance to the group stage proper.

No teams have Playoff round byes in the League route, but eventually 4 teams will make it to that round, possibly Rangers, and those 4 will compete for the 2 final spots.

Will be tough for Rangers, as you'd likely expect them to need to beat PSV to progress to the group stage proper (according to that wiki page anyway)

Won't have to worry about Juventus at least. Lol. Sky sports say they're banned.

Correction. They are banned from the Europa Conferance league. Stupid abbreviations. Lol 😂.

Edited by Joe1984

On 23/05/2023 at 11:13, Disco said:

Shakhtar played in Warsaw and Kyiv in Krakow. Home fans are just the refugee lasses and kids so not loads.

Was thinking more along the lines of getting a lot of away tickets and being pretty easy to get too for the masses for that one. 

Shakhtar look to have agreed a deal to play their games in King Kevin’s Hamburg this season. Could be a very canny away day.

I have a habit of using about half a bottle of shower gel before opening something else, so I was sorting them out to make some kind of sense of the mess in the bathroom cupboard, and found this beauty. 

oe5lq1v2iv9o.jpg

I don't know where it's come from, what it's worth, how it tastes or owt. All I know is, I will save it for Champions League nights.

2 minutes ago, Ste said:

I have a habit of using about half a bottle of shower gel before opening something else, so I was sorting them out to make some kind of sense of the mess in the bathroom cupboard, and found this beauty. 

oe5lq1v2iv9o.jpg

I don't know where it's come from, what it's worth, how it tastes or owt. All I know is, I will save it for Champions League nights.

If we win our first game after you’ve used it you will have to use it for every CL match forever more. 

2 minutes ago, Ste said:

oe5lq1v2iv9o.jpg

how it tastes? :carverlick:

5 minutes ago, LV said:

If we win our first game after you’ve used it you will have to use it for every CL match forever more. 

2_94c71561-041e-484c-b2d3-02337b3133ca_5

Doubling up for the knockout stages, going to order some of this before it sells out (!)