Yankuba Minteh

6 hours ago, Thumbheed said:

£40m is magnificent business. 

If the profile of player we're after is Olise level then Minteh is unlikely to ever be worth this much again playing for us. 

DCL over the line means the rest of the window will likely be first teamers only and we'll have barely spent anything so far in the process of creating the squad that allows us to do that. 

RW

CD

CM?

Olise has had one good season (in which he was injured for half of). His two seasons before that were not really impressive, and at Mintehs age he was struggling to get into Readings squad and ended the season with 1 assist, 0 goals in 19 appearances.

Was this his Almiron/Lingaard season? There's no guarantee he would massively improve us either. Bigger probability yes, but would still have been a huge gamble due to his high price, while we already have Minteh on our books. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We really need a PSR sticky thread that just has the rules and how it impacts us. 

We have the same conversations daily because most don’t understand how it works. 

———

Probably not a bad idea to be fair.

Although, even spelled out its quite tricky to understand. I think I have a grasp on it but I'm not overly confident.

Olise is class and has looked to have real quality for years. But aye this is the first season he’s hooked it up consistently and produced goals and assists regularly. 

Minteh at 19 is way ahead of Olise at the same age. His output and underlying stats (at 19) has him on an elite trajectory.  He’s the type of player Dortmund sign and look to flip for £50m+.  

IF (major IF) he continues to develop the way he should, he’s going to be a v. good player. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see him go for more money than Olise has in a few years.  Physically he’s big and fast - and should only get stronger and quicker. One footed but a great left foot with great dribbling ability.  And he’s already proven he can score a lot of goals at a fairly high level. He even did in the other professional league too. He built on that promising trajectory.  

it’s just early for him.

On Minteh, I can absolutely see why a raft of European clubs are keen. He's a much safer bet for a Lyon, a Dortmund etc. I'm not sure Everton are making a sound investment at 40m though.

I'd really like to think Newcastle are sticking in a sell on clause or a buy back clause. We need to protect against the possibility of him moving on to bigger or better things.

I also hope Newcastle are prioritising Minteh going abroad, rather than selling to the PL.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Olise is class and has looked to have real quality for years. But aye this is the first season he’s hooked it up consistently and produced goals and assists regularly. 

Minteh at 19 is way ahead of Olise at the same age. His output and underlying stats (at 19) has him on an elite trajectory.  He’s the type of player Dortmund sign and look to flip for £50m+.  

IF (major IF) he continues to develop the way he should, he’s going to be a v. good player. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see him go for more money than Olise has in a few years.  Physically he’s big and fast - and should only get stronger and quicker. One footed but a great left foot with great dribbling ability.  And he’s already proven he can score a lot of goals at a fairly high level. He even did in the other professional league too. He built on that promising trajectory.  

it’s just early for him.

Don't take this as a "only in the Dutch league" comment but when looking at stats, shouldn't there be an asterix against stats when a player is playing at a lower level.

This isn't a slight on Minteh, just a general question as to how stats are viewed.

The rate at which this Minteh stuff us going suggests to me that we want to sell him before the end of the month.

Would that be right and would it aide us from an FFP perspective? 

I could just about entertain selling on so quickly if he didn't play in the EXACT position we've got a massive, gaping hole in the first XI. If he was another CM and we were already stacked there then it's an easy decision to sell him for pure profit. But that's not the situation - if he's anywhere near as good as lots of people think he is then keeping him and filling that gap would solve an even bigger problem in the actual first team. 

Either way, I'm not sure this decision needs to be made before he's even pulled a Newcastle training shirt on. I'm half tempted to just take the hit of 2 or 3 points and keep him. He makes an impact early days then he'll grab us far more than that over the 38 games we'd play with something threatening on the right AND left 

1 minute ago, midds said:

I could just about entertain selling on so quickly if he didn't play in the EXACT position we've got a massive, gaping hole in the first XI. If he was another CM and we were already stacked there then it's an easy decision to sell him for pure profit. But that's not the situation - if he's anywhere near as good as lots of people think he is then keeping him and filling that gap would solve an even bigger problem in the actual first team. 

Either way, I'm not sure this decision needs to be made before he's even pulled a Newcastle training shirt on. I'm half tempted to just take the hit of 2 or 3 points and keep him. He makes an impact early days then he'll grab us far more than that over the 38 games we'd play with something threatening on the right AND left 

Agree with all of this 

3 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

Kylian Mbappe is not PL proven whereas Paul Dummett is. Surely you can't hold it against a 19-year old who has not been part of a PL squad that he isn't PL proven if you can also consider his stats on their own merit?

Mbappe had won the World Cup as a no.9 by the age of 19.  I reckon he’d proven himself as an elite player, PL or not. 

2 hours ago, Fezzle said:

Yeah thats bollocks. It's not separate 3 year cycles it's rolling. Guess the obscure Romanian bloggers you count as journalists didn't explain that one

What he’s saying is it’s three years from July since we spent £144 million in first January transfer window so that comes back into play.

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

Olise has had one good season (in which he was injured for half of). His two seasons before that were not really impressive, and at Mintehs age he was struggling to get into Readings squad and ended the season with 1 assist, 0 goals in 19 appearances.

45 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Olise was 19 in the 20/21 season for Reading and had 7 goals and 12 assists that season in the Championship and played 44 games.

I think the Championship is a much more rugged and tougher league than the Eredivise, and him doing that at 19 in that competition trumps what Minteh did for Feyenoord last season IMO.

Edited by KaKa

5 minutes ago, midds said:

What happens if we go with this and plug him into the first team as our right winger option, and he goes out there and performs poorly? Massive risk to take, no?

5 minutes ago, midds said:

There’s a lot of assumptions in this - what makes you think it will be 2 - 3 points, they’ve been waiting for us to trip up since the takeover and we’ll have deliberately decided to go over. Also “he makes an impact early days then he’ll grab us far more than that”. This isn’t a Hollywood movie - if it took Eddie Howe three quarters of a season with our crazy injuries to get regular time then I see a flaw in your thinking.

I like the look of Minteh but certainly wouldn't be taking a points hit to keep him or having him be the first RW option in a side looking to finish top 4, mind. 

Ideal scenario would be signing a top RW and having him as backup but that doesn't seem likely with how things are going. 

Minteh played 200 minutes in CL and 100 in the Europa against Roma (CL level opposition). I didn't watch them but they may be a better yardstick than Eredivise.

If he's not going for big bucks and simply for the accounting shenanigans, I hope there is a sell on or buyback.