Yankuba Minteh

10 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The two seasons he played in Holland, the Eredivisie could boast the European Cup winners and the European Cup runners-up.

Completely different world. 

My opinion is that if PSG won the CL and came runners up the following season, I wouldn't suddenly regard the rest of the teams in the french league as being top quality.

Ajax were quite a bit ahead of their competition at that time. Ronaldo put 30 in for PSV and they weren't even close.

17 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

It's not like he's alone, there's a long list of players who have looked world beaters in the Dutch league and gone on to do nothing.

Hopefully Minteh will be an exception to that (if we keep him) but statistics from the Dutch league have to be taken in the context of how weak most of the league is.

I’d be interested to hear who’s on this long list.

Also, show me a league, foreign or lower, that doesn’t have its fair share of failures. Sometimes good players adapt badly to new surroundings, it happens.

12 hours ago, Pata said:

Luuk de Jong scored 29 goals and had 15 assists last season in the Eredivisie.

Luuk de Jong also scored 3 in 7 CL games, 8 in 11 if you include CL qualifiers. He also scored twice for Sevilla in a won Europa league final vs Inter, and played for Barcelona and the Dutch national team. Could it be he’s not entirely shit and NUFC completely mismanaged him, as we did to so many players at the time..?

2 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

Luuk de Jong also scored 3 in 7 CL games, 8 in 11 if you include CL qualifiers. He also scored twice for Sevilla in a won Europa league final vs Inter, and played for Barcelona and the Dutch national team. Could it be he’s not entirely shit and NUFC completely mismanaged him, as we did to so many players at the time..?

This generation’s Jon Dahl Tomasson.

Possibly an element of that, but De Jong has 178 goals in 306 Eredivisie games, and only 22 goals in 138 games in the three other domestic leagues he's played in. 

Bloke had one of the most tame shots I've ever seen when he was here and clearly wasn't cut out for the PL. 

I think people also just have a hard time admitting players have renaissances - up years and down years. Just how football goes. Barca was a very small sample size for de Jong but he was still extremely efficient with his output there. Very (very) obviously would have had a very successful career in the prem.

But anyway, to point to de Jong like that somehow impeaches the quality of dutch league is just, silly? No one is saying its Serie A levels. Fact is a 19 year old dominated a European top flight of grown ass men with 99th percentile output across a range of relevant metrics. You don't have to like that fact (not sure why you wouldn't), but it happened.

3 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

I’d be interested to hear who’s on this long list.

Also, show me a league, foreign or lower, that doesn’t have its fair share of failures. Sometimes good players adapt badly to new surroundings, it happens.

Off the top of my head I’d go:

Kezman

Antony

van de Beek

Depay

Sanchez

Bergwijn

The Iranian fella at Brighton

De Jong (x2)

Jansson

Sure you could probably knock up a list of successes, and you’re quite right that all leagues have hits and misses.

Just does definitely feel like Eredivisie > PL has a bit more risk attached to it than other leagues.

8 minutes ago, SteV said:

Kezman

Antony

van de Beek

Depay

Sanchez

Bergwijn

De Jong (x2)

Jansson

Sure you could probably knock up a list of successes, and you’re quite right that all leagues have hits and misses.

Just does definitely feel like Eredivisie > PL has a bit more risk attached to it than other leagues.

Sure, and that is why we only paid 6m. Low risk, high reward.

Watched a compilation of Minteh from last season. He might be raw but he looks pretty damn good. Some of his finishes were class.

Stick your £40m up your arse Slot. You can have Almiron instead for a cool £15m.

9 minutes ago, TRon said:

Watched a compilation of Minteh from last season. He might be raw but he looks pretty damn good. Some of his finishes were class.

Stick your £40m up your arse Slot. You can have Almiron instead for a cool £15m.

Imagine when Eddie gets him improving with some of his final 3rd decisions. The speed on the wings with Gordon and Minteh (maybe he’ll be back up to our priority 1 RW buy) Imagine him on v tired legs! 

39 minutes ago, SteV said:

Kezman

Antony

van de Beek

Depay

Sanchez

Bergwijn

De Jong (x2)

Jansson

Alfonso Alves is another massive failure went from 45 goals in 39 appearances in eredivisie to being woeful at Boro.

26 minutes ago, SteV said:

Kezman

Antony

van de Beek

Depay

Sanchez

Bergwijn

De Jong (x2)

Jansson

Hazard, Countinho, Hleb, Woodgate, Anelka... All moved from PL to La Liga and flopped hard. Does that make them bad players or devalue the PL?

Look, of course the Dutch league is a lower level than the PL, La Liga, etc. It currently sits as the 6th strongest European league, just below Ligue 1 and above Portugal, Belgium, etc. It's still a fairly decent level and a good proving ground for young players. Therefore Minteh's stats at that level are far from meaningless, even if obviously they equally don't mean he will smash the PL.

The reason this is a bit of a bugbear for me is that the league's quality has been gradually and systematically eroded by, notably but not exclusively, Premier League teams that have consistently over decades taken the best youth products from our academies, often at an age before they've even had a chance of first team football. Back when I was young I'd argue the Eredivisie was not far if at all behind the PL in terms of quality of the top teams, and Dutch teams regularly won European competitions. Now Dutch teams find themselves competing for South American players in the hope of selling them on for a profit in order to survive. Also, ever since the influx of big money in English football, first with the formation of the PL increasing TV revenues and then with oligarch owners, the balance has gradually shifted more and more towards the PL being the far stronger league evidently. To me cherry picking a nation's best young players from youth academies and having ten times more to spend on your squads is comparable to how FFP has internally within English football served to solidify a status quo whereby only an entitled few can compete and everybody else is just making up the numbers. This kind of self sustaining imbalance is bad for football, plain and simple.

Nobody knows how good this kid is.

He's obviously talented but we have no idea how far he can take it.

I'd like to think Eddie will have a look at him in training before making a judgement call. 

It's not even a priority issue of the summer, for me.

56 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Sure, and that is why we only paid 6m. Low risk, high reward.

We bought Minteh from Odense, Denmark.

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

We bought Minteh from Odense, Denmark.

I know, so who knows if he'll make it but so far he was very good in both the Danish and Dutch Leagues and played very well in the Champions League and I think the Europa League.

4 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

I didn’t really make any point, just corrected a little mistake by a fellow poster who didn’t know Luuk was a massive hit last season.

We did a good job identifying a real talent and now there are no bad options. If someone wants to pay £30-40m for him after last season, it’s a massive win. Or we can keep him and see how he does here. In any case the £6m was a steal so well done us for scouting him.

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

I didn’t really make any point, just corrected a little mistake by a fellow poster who didn’t know Luuk was a massive hit last season.

We did a good job identifying a real talent and now there are no bad options. If someone wants to pay £30-40m for him after last season, it’s a massive win. Or we can keep him and see how he does here. In any case the £6m was a steal so well done us for scouting him.

Exactly how I see it regarding Minteh :thup:

Edited by Unbelievable

26 minutes ago, STM said:

Nobody knows how good this kid is.

He's obviously talented but we have no idea how far he can take it.

I'd like to think Eddie will have a look at him in training before making a judgement call. 

It's not even a priority issue of the summer, for me.

I've only seen a few clips of him, but I appreciate the vote of confidence 

19 minutes ago, Pata said:

I'd be intrigued to know who (or what system) was responsible for finding him. It gets mentioned as a typical Ashworth signing, but I'm crossing my fingers he was as dumb to it as we were :lol:

2 minutes ago, 80 said:

I'd be intrigued to know who (or what system) was responsible for finding him. It gets mentioned as a typical Ashworth signing, but I'm crossing my fingers he was as dumb to it as we were :lol:

IMG_2702.thumb.png.324fa269c8206d8190726488738b47d1.png

1 minute ago, PauloGeordio said:

IMG_2702.thumb.png.324fa269c8206d8190726488738b47d1.png

Hopefully so :thup: From what gets said, we should be doing our best to hang onto him.