Yankuba Minteh: joins Brighton & Hove Albion on a permanent deal (Official)

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We spent money on LW as the two options were outcast (Fraser) and the one sellable, disposable player who'd allow money to be spent elsewhere (Maxi).

If Murphy and Miggy had upset Howe, and been able to fetch £25-30m, I dare say we'd have spent similar on the right.

Easy to forget how good Miggy was 22/23 and Murphy hasn't let us down either.

I think there was still quite a few who thought that we still needed a RW over a LW though, because of the one swallow not making a summer wrt Miggy. Most of us didn't rate Murphy that highly either, and he actually had a decent season. Doesn't change the fact that neither of them should be considered more than squad players.

Just now, TRon said:

I think there was still quite a few who thought that we still needed a RW over a LW though, because of the one swallow not making a summer wrt Miggy. Most of us didn't rate Murphy that highly either, and he actually had a decent season. Doesn't change the fact that neither of them should be considered more than squad players.

We went into last season with no Willock for 3 months, and no certainty how good Gordon was going to progress so quickly. 

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

I always got the impression we pushed our boat out for Barnes because Howe really likes him. He wasn't an investment signing like Livramento, Minteh or Hall, we went for him because he would make an immediate difference. In the end because he got injured along with other key members of the squad, he didn't have enough impact and the gamble failed if you look at it from the investment view. Now it seems we are having to sacrifice other players to pay for it.

How has "the gamble failed"?

He still plays for us. All of the players we've signed still play for us.

This bit isn't aimed at you, Tron, but for all the flapping on here about us making an apparent balls of this whole situation, the money we've spent has left us with one of the best teams in the league. Even if we don't buy anyone for the rest of the window, the upgrades we've made each window are still there.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We went into last season with no Willock for 3 months, and no certainty how good Gordon was going to progress so quickly. 

I never really thought Gordon was any doubt tbh, pretty sure I backed him when we bought him, and thought he did more than well enough in his first season.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

How has "the gamble failed"?

He still plays for us. All of the players we've signed still play for us.

This bit isn't aimed at you, Tron, but for all the flapping on here about us making an apparent balls of this whole situation, the money we've spent has left us with one of the best teams in the league. Even if we don't buy anyone for the rest of the window, the upgrades we've made each window are still there.

That's why I specifically said it failed "from an investment " POV. As a player I still rate Barnes, but it was a gamble in the sense it gave us two top class LW options and no genuine class RW ones. If we had qualified for some form of Europe you could say it paid off. We didn't and in that sense it failed, and we are now having to sell players we'd rather have held onto. At least it looks that way.

29 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

So you’ve just ignored the signing of non prem players Bruno, isak and botman in that story. None of us have seen enough of Tonali yet so don’t close the score on him just yet.

I’ve read in a few places that he’s looked amazing on the training ground and is raring to go.

Your first signings were fantastic: the right players at the right prices. But then Howe started to make the market and you started to buy in the inflated PL market. If you had FFP problems, you never, never should spent 40m for Barnes, another LW very similar to Gordon. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

We needed a RW more than we needed a LW. Lots of us said that at the time. 

ASM barely played yet we spent £40m for his replacement to sit on the bench. That doesn’t make sense. 

From a PSR and footballing perspective. Committing £60m for Barnes over the next 5 years was a bad idea considering we don’t have a viable RW option. 

We needed a CM. We didn’t need to spend £50m on a CM though.  

Ultimately the ends justify the means. If we managed to finish 4th and got to the CL QF we wouldn’t need to sell and we would say spending so much on the squad got us there. That didn’t happen. And with the transfers we made imo that was unlikely.  So you have to say that was a misjudgment and poor decision making.  the decision making in January seems to be even worse.  Someone needed to go. 

1) We did need a RW and still do. I have absolutely no idea what that has to do with PSR compliance.

2) Was Barnes signed to sit on the bench? Or did Gordon make the position his own during his somewhat unfortunate injury layoff? I don't think we'll ever get an answer to that.

3) We needed to elevate the quality of the first team to compete in the Champions League and players like Isak and Tonali cost top dollar. Fans are absolutely gasping for us to chuck huge fees at players like Marmadashvili, Maddison, Szaboszlai and Paqueta, while alternatives are frequently sneered at. The club are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

4) A potent mix of hindsight and conjecture does a lot of heavy lifting here. If we breach PSR, it's a failing from those running the club, but blaming individual transfers and factors outside of our control when we've had August 2023 along with January 2024 and June 2024 to line up sales seems a bit daft.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

1) We did need a RW and still do. I have absolutely no idea what that has to do with PSR compliance.

2) Was Barnes signed to sit on the bench? Or did Gordon make the position his own during his somewhat unfortunate injury layoff? I don't think we'll ever get an answer to that.

3) We needed to elevate the quality of the first team to compete in the Champions League and players like Isak and Tonali cost top dollar. Fans are absolutely gasping for us to chuck huge fees at players like Marmadashvili, Maddison, Szaboszlai and Paqueta, while alternatives are frequently sneered at. The club are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

4) A potent mix of hindsight and conjecture does a lot of heavy lifting here. If we breach PSR, it's a failing from those running the club, but blaming individual transfers and factors outside of our control when we've had August 2023 along with January 2024 and June 2024 to line up sales seems a bit daft.

Great post. 

Point 3 is particularly infuriating to me.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Would be good news.

Need to move past all this noise now.

Brentford just forked out £35 million for Archie Gray. £30 million for Minteh is decent.

Need to sort this all out and start focusing on incomings.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

...and just like that everyone is gasping for him to go. 

Narrative masterclass from the club today. We can't be putting ourselves in this position again though.

I do feel a sporting director is necessary to help avoid a situation like this again.

Just now, The Prophet said:

...and just like that everyone is gasping for him to go. 

Narrative masterclass from the club today. We can't be putting ourselves in this position again though.

IF that's what the club have done... I'm almost impressed.:lol:

But yes, not a fucking ideal situation.

I want nothing more than for this whole episode over.