Yankuba Minteh (now playing for Brighton & Hove Albion)

Just now, KaKa said:

Oh God!

I thought it was some schtick you'd been running the past few days! :lol:

Mate, we're not going to be starting Almiron on the right man. 

Why are you so convinced of this?! :lol:

I feel unless he is sold he's going to start - I hope I am wrong.  Often am :yao: 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

We haven’t managed to get rid of Miggy and Murphy yet. I’m not confident we’ll be able to move them along for decent fees. I expect 1 to still be here in August. 

I think we need to sell further to spend big money. 

And remember - Hall transaction will now be on the books

We haven’t managed to get rid of Miggy and Murphy yet. I’m not confident we’ll be able to move them along for decent fees. I expect 1 to still be here in August. 

Murphy as a back up is perfectly fine. rarely let us down when he's filled in the last 2 seasons

The fact we tried for Olise suggests we have a decent chunk to spend.

32 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Do people really believe the club put out stories of Gordon being offered about to soften the blow of Minteh leaving?!😂

Hopefully this is enough, Swiss Ramble’s guess was we needed £40 million in sales.

It’s the biggest lot of shit ever. Not a chance the club did that to ‘soften the blow’ there has been an air of desperation around this whole thing

with the minteh sale it makes it easier to sell the others. we're in a position to accept moe reasonable fees rather than trying to get £20m for players who are clearly not worth it.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

What about the confirmed interest in Olise (from ornstein) that doesn't suggest we've got fuck all to spend does it

Seems a crazy outlay. Actually a bit shocked clubs are bidding over 30m. Huge gamble. Guess we shall see next year how good or bad a decision it was. 

I'm imagining while he might be half decent, that money will enable us to bring in someone at least as good. Not sure that is Elanga but it might be good money balling.

In all honesty, I'm a bit dubious that we've planted fake news stories about Isak and Gordon to stave off any angst about selling Minteh. Do the non-nerds even know about him? 

Seems more likely that we anticipated getting business done in the form of the DCL thing (or peddling Bruno?) That fell through, we panicked, but Brighton saved the day. 

It's amazing how many people have been hoodwinked by the club into thinking this is a good idea. 

One of europes hottest properties sold without a game played so we could overspend on players like Barnes. Tragic in every sense. 

7 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

Probably in the future when this becomes the norm, filling up our academy with players who are there solely to make us a profit with no actual view of them playing for us, then it won’t be so gut wrenching.

This isn’t the norm for us, we’re not used to it. We get good players and hold onto them like precious diamonds. You sign for us, you’re one of us. This just feels cold and alien.

£33m is a very good price. We’ve made back more than 5x what we paid for him. I can stomach watching him tear it up at Brighton if bring in the 2-3 we need to push on. Anyway I hate this, I hate football and I hate June. July comes around and we’re going for it. 

I think the aim is to have a thriving academy with quality players coming through. 

Those good enough to impact the first team will be brought through, and those that aren't, should hopefully then still get us a fee from other clubs.

I don't think we'll be as crass as the likes of Chelsea with this whole model. They are spending insane amounts of money on players, and don't really have the patience to bring through players and so it's a different mindset with them.

We're very early into the restructuring of the club and had to spend loads to play catch-up just after the takeover. At the same time there are hardly any assets we can move to make money, and the financial deals are still being built up. That's the main reason we've had to move Minteh.

6 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

Probably in the future when this becomes the norm, filling up our academy with players who are there solely to make us a profit with no actual view of them playing for us, then it won’t be so gut wrenching.

This isn’t the norm for us, we’re not used to it. We get good players and hold onto them like precious diamonds. You sign for us, you’re one of us. This just feels cold and alien.

£33m is a very good price. We’ve made back more than 5x what we paid for him. I can stomach watching him tear it up at Brighton if bring in the 2-3 we need to push on. Anyway I hate this, I hate football and I hate June. July comes around and we’re going for it. 

This sums up my feelings too, it's such an odd one.

Gross in a way that this is what you need to do to be a successful team at a proper level, although I guess for a lot of clubs (Man City etc) it's been like that for a while.

We're so used to being buzzing at signing anyone with discernable talent, them being immediately into to the starting line up or at least match day squads and that's that.

It's going to take a while for me personally to get used to this new way of working where we sign players who are entirely assets as such and never really intended for the team (even if Minteh originally was meant to impact the first eleven).

This iteration of modern football is wank

Just now, toontownman said:

Seems a crazy outlay. Actually a bit shocked clubs are bidding over 30m. Huge gamble. Guess we shall see next year how good or bad a decision it was. 

I'm imagining while he might be half decent, that money will enable us to bring in someone at least as good. Not sure that is Elanga but it might be good money balling.

Actually the money he brought in has been expended well in advance of his leaving - this is why some posters are (rightfully) criticizing the strange Barnes acquisition when we had needs on the RW.

This move was to cover a shortfall, not to spend now.

Just now, Dokko said:

It's amazing how many people have been hoodwinked by the club into thinking this is a good idea. 

One of europes hottest properties sold without a game played so we could overspend on players like Barnes. Tragic in every sense. 

Yeah the ASM 25 million for Barnes 40 has been a weak trade.

Just now, Dokko said:

Eh? We signed Barnes a year ago, what's that got to do with it?

We were never seeing Minteh in a Newcastle shirt. Take the incredible windfall and forget him. 

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

You are definitely trolling man, a number of you have to be :lol:

5 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

Admittedly I haven't bothered learning owt about PSR. Does us having to sell Minteh to balance the books, equate to us having more money to spend in July? I thought it was purely to avoid punishment.

Tbh I don’t know. £33m has come into the club account. Idk if we were in the red then presumably this money will now cover those losses, or if this money can go towards new signings. Someone smarter than me will know.

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

Bang on - unbecoming of Staveley's (stated) aspirations

1 minute ago, Jaqen said:

How is a player leaving for £26m profit who's never played for us a mini catastrophe? [emoji38]

He’s the most talented RW we have in the squad. His ceiling is a £60m+ player in the weakest position we have in the squad. We could’ve sorted our weakest position in the squad with a £8m transfer. Instead we are likely to sell another player to fund a £30m+ RW that will be a significant FFP burden for another 4-5 years. Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul type stuff. 

It’s the best result all things considered. But it does suck.  Had we sold a player we were happy to sell, everyone would be happy. If Minteh was a CM, less people would care. We have lots of options there. We don’t at RW. 

31 minutes ago, STM said:

33m is a belting sale. Even if he turns out class, we can't complain.

One of our biggest sales ever.

As it says worth £33m it's nailed on a nice sell on clauses when Chelsea buy him for £200m in 12 months