Yankuba Minteh (on loan at Feyenoord)

[emoji38] it sounded different in my head compared to how it came across written down. 

Iirc, the only evidence given around his supposed attitude problems was that he was seen at a club on the eve of a game once and had some handbags in training. Both of these are standard fare across football, especially for teenagers, so it seemed an unfair characterisation at the time for what seems like normal behaviour for his age.

His on-pitch attitude has always been fine, apparently.

7 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

[emoji38] it sounded different in my head compared to how it came across written down. 

Iirc, the only evidence given around his supposed attitude problems was that he was seen at a club on the eve of a game once and had some handbags in training. Both of these are standard fare across football, especially for teenagers, so it seemed an unfair characterisation at the time for what seems like normal behaviour for his age.

His on-pitch attitude has always been fine, apparently.

“Initially, he lived in a form of elite college, where the club paid for him to stay in a block of flats alongside other sportspeople, including footballers, handballers, and ballet dancers. However, Minteh did not enjoy living on his own, and found acclimatising to the Danish lifestyle an extreme change. He now lives with his agent, while his family are more regular visitors.

“My first six months at the club have been hard, but when you work hard, things also come easier,” Minteh said in February.

Those around Odense point to a sense of dislocation, as well as his age, as mitigation for the subsequent disciplinary issues he endured.

The first of these was relatively minor — he broke team curfew rules after being spotted in a nightclub on the Friday evening before a Sunday game. OB subsequently dropped him from the squad for the weekend, while he had to temporarily train with the reserves as punishment.

However, the public backlash was fierce, with fans also upset at some forthright opinions from Minteh and his agent regarding his long-term future. After being harassed both online and in person, Minteh was granted a short time away from the club with stress.

On his return, Minteh started against then-league leaders Nordsjaelland. After being substituted in the 68th minute of an eventual 4-2 defeat, he kicked a corner flag to pieces. The Danish FA banned him for the next two matches.

In training, four days after that game, a frustrated Minteh fought with senior team-mate Mads Frokjaer-Jensen, witnessed by Rasmussen.

“Minteh tried to tackle Frokjaer-Jensen from behind after being dispossessed, as revenge,” Rasmussen remembers. “And so he came after him; they didn’t actually hit, but four or five players had to separate them, and calm Minteh down. They moved on, but this is very uncommon for Odense.”

Despite suspensions, things were still going well for Minteh on the pitch. He started every remaining game he was eligible for, and was prolific in April, managing a goal and three assists in one two-week spell.

“He’s actually a very introverted person,” said Wesstrom on the issues. “If he comes into my office, he’s very quiet, and just says yes. But it’s a complex situation.

“He’s very driven by making his family proud. They have their expectations, not just now, but for his future. And when his family isn’t there, communication with them is not always the easiest, so that has been one of the harder things to handle. The next stage for him is to mature as a person, to not be so affected by his feelings. By gaining composure, he can be more professional.”

“He has great ambitions and almost has a kind of desperation in his life,” Alm said in February, “He wants to show everything he can.

One thing Odense’s staff have been impressed by is Minteh’s willingness to work hard…”

https://theathletic.com/4585933/2023/06/07/yankuba-minteh-newcastle-transfer/

18 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

Our boy played the second half of a friendly vs Villarreal and won Feyenoord a penalty, which was converted to make the final score 1-1

edit: based on a quick scan on Twitter/X he played as a striker second half, was tireless and really impressed some Feyenoord fans.

Not surprised tbh. I know you aren't supposed to hold much store by youtube videos, but it's impossible to look that good without some serious talent.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Not surprised tbh. I know you aren't supposed to hold much store by youtube videos, but it's impossible to look that good without some serious talent.

Aye this lad certainly looks like our first proper Ashworth signing in the mould of the Brighton lot they seem to pluck out of thin air with real talent. 

Just watched this lad in Feyenoord's 2-1 win against Benfica, came on at half time when they were 2-0 up. If that's anything to go by he's not afraid to put hard work in, pressed well. Played mostly centrally in attack but drifted wide. Had a couple of moments in possession out wide where he picked out a teammate with a decent pass in the box. His one big moment came in injury time when he was played through on goal between the left back and centre back and slid the ball the wrong side of the post when one-on-one with the keeper. 

Having watched Kuol in a few matches last year Minteh looks further along in his development, but I guess the fee reflects that.

1 minute ago, wyn davies said:

Based on what I've seen so far, think he's gonna get a lot of game time for Feyenoord this season, excuse the pun looks Mint !.

Not what the Dutch think 🙂

1 minute ago, wyn davies said:

Well if he's getting panned god help the rest of that team , my impression is they're not that good, PSV 1-0, Dutch commentator mentioning him a lot

He might be begging for him to be replaced [emoji38]

• 3 weeks later...