Yankuba Minteh: Everton drop out of race, but Dortmund and Lyon remain interested (Various)

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Off the top of my head I’d go:

Kezman

Antony

van de Beek

Depay

Sanchez

Bergwijn

The Iranian fella at Brighton

De Jong (x2)

Jansson

Sure you could probably knock up a list of successes, and you’re quite right that all leagues have hits and misses.

Just does definitely feel like Eredivisie > PL has a bit more risk attached to it than other leagues.

De Bilde, SIbon and Van Gobbel were tragic at Sheffield Wed and Southampton

Really hope we see this lad in pre-season and he has a chance of staying with us next season. Howe could do something amazing with him potentially

6 hours ago, STM said:

Nobody knows how good this kid is.

He's obviously talented but we have no idea how far he can take it.

I'd like to think Eddie will have a look at him in training before making a judgement call. 

It's not even a priority issue of the summer, for me.

Let's just ask him then.:coat:

17 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Really hope we see this lad in pre-season and he has a chance of staying with us next season. Howe could do something amazing with him potentially

I think he'll replace Miggy in the squad. Wouldn't surprise me if the club fed Edwards the £40m valuation story as a benchmark so when Miggy goes to Saudi for £30m-£35m its easier to justify the price with the corrupt PL. 

23 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Really seems to be progressing quickly :thup:

6 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

Hazard, Countinho, Hleb, Woodgate, Anelka... All moved from PL to La Liga and flopped hard. Does that make them bad players or devalue the PL?

Look, of course the Dutch league is a lower level than the PL, La Liga, etc. It currently sits as the 6th strongest European league, just below Ligue 1 and above Portugal, Belgium, etc. It's still a fairly decent level and a good proving ground for young players. Therefore Minteh's stats at that level are far from meaningless, even if obviously they equally don't mean he will smash the PL.

The reason this is a bit of a bugbear for me is that the league's quality has been gradually and systematically eroded by, notably but not exclusively, Premier League teams that have consistently over decades taken the best youth products from our academies, often at an age before they've even had a chance of first team football. Back when I was young I'd argue the Eredivisie was not far if at all behind the PL in terms of quality of the top teams, and Dutch teams regularly won European competitions. Now Dutch teams find themselves competing for South American players in the hope of selling them on for a profit in order to survive. Also, ever since the influx of big money in English football, first with the formation of the PL increasing TV revenues and then with oligarch owners, the balance has gradually shifted more and more towards the PL being the far stronger league evidently. To me cherry picking a nation's best young players from youth academies and having ten times more to spend on your squads is comparable to how FFP has internally within English football served to solidify a status quo whereby only an entitled few can compete and everybody else is just making up the numbers. This kind of self sustaining imbalance is bad for football, plain and simple.

My post was in the context of people saying that Minteh should be given an opportunity next season and mustn’t be sold, reacting to the rumours that Howe isn't interested in him and we could cash in.

Personally, I'd like to see him in our squad next season, but that is ultimately the choice of our management.

Good stats in the Eredivisie don't always mean that a player will be a success in the Premier League, that's not being critical or condescending towards the Eredivisie.

Our management will be looking at more than just the stats. If they come to the conclusion that they don't fancy him then I trust them to make that decision.

OK I get that he is not Premier League proven - BUT he has performed in the Champions League and he represents his Country and scores goals at all levels. I believe he is the real deal and will save us 40-50 million in a search for a right wing - add to that he does not cry off with injuries and we are potentially looking at a lethal left and right wing combo with AG and YM on either side - this would free us up to get a top quality RCB and a back up striker without denting the awful FFP/FRP/big 6 cartel rules.  

Edited by cannybagoftudor

23 minutes ago, 500bhp said:

I think he'll replace Miggy in the squad. Wouldn't surprise me if the club fed Edwards the £40m valuation story as a benchmark so when Miggy goes to Saudi for £30m-£35m its easier to justify the price with the corrupt PL. 

wonder if it was “leaked” or “put out there” in a tone of a dig at the premier league and its whole forcing clubs to sell players they don’t want to sell due to ffp. Similar to what Villa have had to do and acted on today. 

Like no intention of selling but a kick at the league sort of thing. If that makes sense 

7 hours ago, TRon said:

Watched a compilation of Minteh from last season. He might be raw but he looks pretty damn good. Some of his finishes were class.

Stick your £40m up your arse Slot. You can have Almiron instead for a cool £15m.

£15m for a 'proven' PL scorer? £30m at least. Take them to the cleaners I say!

Give him a crack pre-season, fucking hell he cant be as bad as Miggy or Murphy.

He's already showing signs on fairly big stages.

Might not be the finished article but him, gordon and Isak looks rather tasty. Get Chiesa to alternate and keep Murphy as your local lad who's happy to sit on the bench.

48 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Might not be the finished article but him, gordon and Isak looks rather tasty. Get Chiesa to alternate and keep Murphy as your local lad who's happy to sit on the bench.

It's mad to think people would suggest he goes out on loan again when he's done the business, as you point out, Miggy and Murphy our options, there's no question in my mind.

Ease him in, and develop, it's what Howe loves, but we just need to be brave like Klopp was with all the Liverpool youth, just put them out there, and let them flourish. 

5 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

It's mad to think people would suggest he goes out on loan again when he's done the business, as you point out, Miggy and Murphy our options, there's no question in my mind.

Ease him in, and develop, it's what Howe loves, but we just need to be brave like Klopp was with all the Liverpool youth, just put them out there, and let them flourish. 

After Melbourne I don’t really think that’s an option.

17 hours ago, Andy said:

Possibly an element of that, but De Jong has 178 goals in 306 Eredivisie games, and only 22 goals in 138 games in the three other domestic leagues he's played in. 

Bloke had one of the most tame shots I've ever seen when he was here and clearly wasn't cut out for the PL. 

Only strong memory of him is coming on as a sub at home against Sunderland. I desperately wanted him to make a difference (and trying to get a chant going for him) . He played really poorly. It’s not like he was particularly young at the time (23-24). I guess some players develop/blossom later. 

15 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

In Melbourne we played the youth who had already been released. The youth we rated were in Hong Kong playing in a 7’s tournament

Getting knocked out by the behemoth that was Hong Kong Rangers…

7 hours ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

If he can match Murphy's goals/assists contribution from last season he will have had a good first PL season.

11 hours ago, gdm said:

A header no less 

He looks about 6ft. He could be a problem in the air with the right development.

With Minteh's time in Eredivisie - it's not just the goals. A lot of his underlying metrics are brilliant and he did that at 19. Then with the eye test he has good physicality - good size, quick, brave and confident on the ball, skilful, productive and excellent shooting technique.

Comparing him to a 24-year old Kezman, with no pace, size or skill because they've both played well in the Eredivisie is lazy.

8 hours ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

a lot of people on this thread forgetting about Harvey Barnes as well, we really have some decent attacking options

You either sell him for a big fee or keep him, loaning him out again seems a waste, even if he is young if he isn't good enough to get more game time ahead of Murphy or Miggy next season then he certainly isn't worth the 40 or 50 million we could sell him for.

Edited by Geogaddi

He does have the "impact sub" about him and that's how he was sometimes used at Feyenoord.

He doesn't seem much of a passer. He's getting on the ball, taking on his man and getting himself into dangerous positions. That might be too heltah skelter for Eddie rn. He seems to work pretty hard too.

A loan could help him develop and round his game. I do think we could peddle one of the RWs, buy a new RW and have Minteh as a bench option.