Yankuba Minteh

9 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

Can't get my head around us loaning kids to a club as big as Feyernord

I wonder if feyenoord were interested in him initially, but didn't want to compete with Newcastle with the fee? Maybe the loan move was a compromise.

Either way he's doing well 

I think one thing people need to remember with players like Minteh and Kuol, is that they where more than likely bought with profit in mind as a way of navigating FFP, so their is a chance they never play for us.

Buy young up and coming players, send them to clubs that will improve them and allow them to impress, sell to a European club or Championship club for double the money (Admittedly that may be hard for Minteh). It's what Man City have done for years that allowed them to grow their revenue.

There is obviously a chance that they may play for us, but I don't think that was the exact reason they where signed. Going forward, I expect us to make 2/3 players of Mintehs Ilk most summers.

55 minutes ago, 54 said:

I think one thing people need to remember with players like Minteh and Kuol, is that they where more than likely bought with profit in mind as a way of navigating FFP, so their is a chance they never play for us.

Buy young up and coming players, send them to clubs that will improve them and allow them to impress, sell to a European club or Championship club for double the money (Admittedly that may be hard for Minteh). It's what Man City have done for years that allowed them to grow their revenue.

There is obviously a chance that they may play for us, but I don't think that was the exact reason they where signed. Going forward, I expect us to make 2/3 players of Mintehs Ilk most summers.

I think he’ll get half a season to play his way into Eddie’s thinking next year. If he hasn’t made headway by end of Jan then he can get another loan.

On 01/10/2023 at 09:45, 54 said:

It's more of a Chelsea thing (KDB, Lukaku). City's are from the academy proper.

While I agree this is the approach. RW is a position that is up for grabs in the squad. There's only Murphy & Almiron ahead. If we are heavily restricted by FFP next summer and he continues to impress Minteh could stay in the squad. If he's the real deal, surely he could bump Murphy into Manquillo status? Knock him down from "squad player / impact sub" to "fringe player" like on FM.

1 hour ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Got a very good feeling about this lad. His stats are more than good and running more tha twice that of other players...goals are the icing ?

Yeah, he's looking good. This is what we need to do. Get players. Give them a year or 2 on loan then let them compete for a place.

25 minutes ago, Kanji said:

If he continues this form, I'd highly consider another year on loan there where he's playing most if not all matches, likely in a title winning side and back in CL. 

Genuine question - if he's doing that now and there's a first-team squad position open.. why not keep him next season? Say he replaces Murphy's role. That's a lot of minutes.

Obviously it's a big step between Eredivisie and PL but the same can be said for League 2 and Anderson was exceptional on his loan and has proven himself this year, so there's no reason to think Minteh can't come back in the summer with intentions of trying to get into the first team squad.

Really pleased for him, just a shame Kuol hasn't hit the same kind of form yet.

Howe will want to see him in friendlies and in training before making a decision to keep him around next season and even then, politics might play a part.

The lad might want another year playing for Feyernoord and keeping him happy can only be a good thing. Feyernoord may want him back, in which case its hard to say no when they can offer him first team football. After all, we want strong relations across Europe.

You never know, Feyernoord might have a gem of their own that we fancy, not the worst thing to have friends abroad etc.

He’s already starting for them no? Is that due to injuries or has he made a spot his own? If he starts for most of the season and performs well, he should be with us next season unless Howe doesn’t want him for some reason

Not sure what being said here, judging by the comments it lets me translate they are all talking about how fast he is and one calling Slot a bald meatball :lol:

Some quotes from a different interview with Slot.

“Our scouts were also impressed by his year at Odense.

”Then (Feyenoord General Manager) Dennis te Kloese came to the technical staff.

“Minteh went to Newcastle United and the English were looking for a club to loan him to. That’s how he came to us.

”He certainly doesn’t lack self-confidence. 

“His willingness to give everything is enormous.

“When we see his statistics, it is really impressive. 

“Minteh runs more sprint metres against Ajax in an hour (in the recent 4-0 Feyenoord win) than many other boys do in two games.

”He is incredibly fast. And he wants it so badly. 

“For the remainder against Ajax we substituted him for Ramiz Zerrouki. He immediately accepts that.

”He recently shot Gambia (Yankuba Minteh scoring a vital goal in the final group game on his international debut) to a ticket for the Africa Cup next winter.

“Newcastle United has not made any requirements regarding minimum playing time or anything like that.”

15 hours ago, gbandit said:

He’s already starting for them no? Is that due to injuries or has he made a spot his own? If he starts for most of the season and performs well, he should be with us next season unless Howe doesn’t want him for some reason

Bit of both. He has played a few games due to others being injured or suspended, mainly in the center forward area. I think he’s competing for the winger positions with two or three other players of similar quality and stature.

1 hour ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Not sure what being said here, judging by the comments it lets me translate they are all talking about how fast he is and one calling Slot a bald meatball :lol:

Some quotes from a different interview with Slot.

The interviewer asks Slot if Minteh is heading in the right direction (i.e. doing well), which he confirms. They then talk about how he will be doing post match interviews for the first time since he was officially MOTM, to which Slot says he’s asked Minteh if he’s nervous about it, to which the lad replied not to worry because he was MOTM every week in Denmark. Then the interviewer asks if it is correct that Minteh does not speak English, to which Slot replies he does speak English, but probably not the English the interviewer speaks (implying the interviewer’s English is really bad).