Yankuba Minteh: joins Brighton & Hove Albion on a permanent deal (Official)

18 minutes ago, Holloway said:

mental we let this lad go without giving him an induction with the squad imo,he's showing huge potential. take the hit

It's not mental at all though is it? Do we say that about all the young players that Chelsea buy and flip for profit? I mean, maybe sometimes but the idea with these players is always to invest a little and get money back at some point. 

25 minutes ago, Elric said:

It's gonna be laughs when Brighton flip him for 60 mil in a few years time. 

There’s no guarantee that he’d get the game time here to build his value that high so it’s pointless worrying about what he might be worth at another club.

we either think he can be first or second choice rw here and then should look to keep him or we just see potential and then probably should sell him when the fee feels high to what he has delivered so far

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Producing and buying youngsters and flipping them for profit will become the norm.

Off the top of my head Chelsea have moved on Tomori, Guehi, Zouma, Hall, Loftus-Cheek, Mount and Abraham.

City Harwood-Bellis, Zinchenko, Angelino, Luiz, Nmecha and Palmer.

Villa are at it now too.

Some hellishly ‘slow flips’ in there. Zinchenko played a load of games for Man City. 

23 minutes ago, Dokko said:

it's not down to him though, it's down to previous spending. Signing Barnes was the issue, not selling minteh. What would happen had he been another Kuol? Where is the money coming from then? Have we hit lucky and he's saved us selling isak or Bruno? 

It's all crazy really, how we could be so stupid going this far over if we're determined not to fight psr and the PL in court, and that our saviour was a punt and loan. 

Why do people keep specifically mentioning the Barnes transfer? I've read it a couple of times now.

24 minutes ago, gdm said:

Aye must be shite being 19 and wanted by clubs all across europe. Poor bastard 

You know what I mean. We bought him and probably sold him the chance to make a name for himself in the PL and now due to these horrendous PSR restrictions we're looking to cash in on him. You have to feel a little sorry for him.

10 minutes ago, Magpie said:

You know what I mean. We bought him and probably sold him the chance to make a name for himself in the PL and now due to these horrendous PSR restrictions we're looking to cash in on him. You have to feel a little sorry for him.

I can see what your saying but he has a promising future I don’t think he’ll be too down heartened 

52 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Why do people keep specifically mentioning the Barnes transfer? I've read it a couple of times now.

Brexit Eddie WASTED our budget on a player who isnt good enough despite scoring loads of goals and being generally very good in this league and now we cant keep the guy no one has even really seen play! Our future is dead!

2 hours ago, simonsays said:

The idea they haven't looked at him already is nonsense though- they will have been monitoring every game has played in meticulously.  I have confidence they they know his current and prospective ability and will have set the asking price and any future clauses accordingly

This is where I kind of agree and don’t. 

We may think he’s ace. All the indications are that he’s ace.  That’s why a lot of the smartest clubs in Europe are after him.  

But our PSR position is FUCKED. Risking a points deduction is a non starter. We need to sell. We’ve don’t have many options. Willock, Wilson, Anderson, Targett, Almiron etc. nobody wants them for the money we need.  So it’s the fine china in Isak or Bruno or the young wonder kid. So it’s the wonder kid.  

A club like Brighton will ensure terms are favourable to them. No buyback.  Low/no sell on. 

This is even a lucky escape.  Isak would’ve been next. 

I would’ve rather sold big Joe personally. 

Puts into perspective what PIF are willing to do. And the fact they’ve not got everything right and are perfectly measured in the transfer market. Which is ok. But we can stop that ‘we have the smartest people in thr world running the club, they wouldn’t put the club in such a position’. They just did. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We may think he’s ace. All the indications are that he’s ace.  That’s why a lot of the smartest clubs in Europe are after him.  

But our PSR position is FUCKED. Risking a points deduction is a non starter. We need to sell. We’ve don’t have many options. Willock, Wilson, Anderson, Targett, Almiron etc. nobody wants them for the money we need.  So it’s the fine china in Isak or Bruno or the young wonder kid. So it’s the wonder kid.  

A club like Brighton will ensure terms are favourable to them. No buyback.  Low/no sell on. 

Puts into perspective what PIF are willing to do. And the fact they’ve not got everything right and are perfectly measured in the transfer market. Which is ok. But we can stop that ‘we have the smartest people in thr world running the club, they wouldn’t put the club in such a position’. They just did. 

I think there are calculated risks. If they are in a bad position, they either seriously miscalculated or had plans that fell through and you cannot 100% know everything that will happen, right?

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

We paid a lot of money for a player whose value is unlikely to increase, in a position we were well stacked in. 

At the time it seemed a luxury transfer. If he was a RW people wouldn’t be complaining. We spent 40m on a LW in Jan, then another 40m for another LW in the summer. Joe’s also impressing at LW. 0 RWs. Except a wee lad, who excelled out on loan.  He’ll never play for us though - in part because we bought a backup LW who is 4 years older than the first choice. 

Between the fee, wages, sign on fee, agent fees , bonuses. Barnes squad cost likely to be 12-15m - that’s a lot of the PSR gap.  

Similalry with Tonali - why so expensive?

It does make you question the transfer activities.  Should we have cashed in on Trippier and Wilson in the winter? Lots of questions.  

Had we had European football in 2024 and qualified for Europa - we might not have been in this position. So there a lot of moving parts.  Nothing perfect. Nothing disastrous. Although this transfer is gutting.  

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Who would you sell Big Joe to ? I think he's a player who's a fit for us, but not for many others who can pay that fee and wages.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

We paid a lot of money for a player whose value is unlikely to increase, in a position we were well stacked in. 

At the time it seemed a luxury transfer. If he was a RW people wouldn’t be complaining. We spent 40m on a LW in Jan, then another 40m for another LW in the summer. Joe’s also impressing at LW. 0 RWs. Except a wee lad, who excelled out on loan.  He’ll never play for us though - in part because we bought a backup LW who is 4 years older than the first choice. 

Between the fee, wages, sign on fee, agent fees , bonuses. Barnes squad cost likely to be 12-15m - that’s a lot of the PSR gap.  

Similalry with Tonali - why so expensive?

It does make you question the transfer activities.  Should we have cashed in on Trippier and Wilson in the winter? Lots of questions.  

Had we had European football in 2024 and qualified for Europa - we might not have been in this position. So there a lot of moving parts.  Nothing perfect. Nothing disastrous. Although this transfer is gutting.  

Gordon a LW when we bought him ? he'd played as much on the right for Everton. Gordon is the ideal Howe player as he can play both sides so we can rotate like you wanted.

2 minutes ago, McDog said:

I think there are calculated risks. If they are in a bad position, they either seriously miscalculated or had plans that fell through and you cannot 100% know everything that will happen, right?

Aye. The best light is we took calculated risks.  Needed a better league finish. A better CL or Europa run. Miscalculated and need to sell our most promising young player. Bad but not a total disaster. 

It does show (potentially) PIF are happy to abide by the rules. No raft of boogey sponsorships. No court battles. We need to recalibrate our own expectations a bit. 

Maybe Minteh leaving and becoming a big success might vex PIF and get them active. ATM they are passive to PSR and letting other clubs lead the fight. IMO we should be fighting stronger. 

As mentioned a quarter of the league have fallen foul. Publicly we are pushing back the least. 

5 minutes ago, madras said:

Who would you sell Big Joe to ? I think he's a player who's a fit for us, but not for many others who can pay that fee and wages.

Pre new contract he would’ve been an easy sell for £30m-£40m to a rival PL club. Modest wages.  Proven performer.  Decent age. 

Not now with the new contract. I was with Dan Ashworth being tight on his contract. 

4 minutes ago, madras said:

Gordon a LW when we bought him ? he'd played as much on the right for Everton. Gordon is the ideal Howe player as he can play both sides so we can rotate like you wanted.

Gordon’s minutes at NUFC have come predominantly on the left. In his first half season - only left. And straight away this season last season. He’s only started RW once under Howe iiirc. Howe would rather play Murphy at RW than Gordon. 

We’ve spent £80m+ at LW.  £8m at RW and we’re selling him for 3/4x.  That doesn’t smell right.