Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

21 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

A little more info here from TalkSPORT who claim to have spoken to someone from the club 

Sandro Tonali's agent has commented about the Newcastle star's betting probe.

The Italy international was sent home over an investigation into reported illegal gambling, which could result in a lengthy ban.

Speaking at an event at the Italian embassy, Tonali’s agent, Giuseppe Riso, said: "He is playing his most important game - against betting addiction. He’s in shock, he’s very sad.

"He has to face this situation. He is training at the moment (at Newcastle). He told me he trained very well. He can play Saturday.”

talkSPORT's football correspondent Alex Crook joined White and Jordan this afternoon to give us an update on the betting storm surrounding Italian players - including Newcastle's Sandro Tonali.

Tonali has been sent home from international duty over an investigation into reported illegal gambling, which could lead to a lengthy ban if proven guilty.

However, there is seemingly good news for Newcastle, as club sources have indicated to talkSPORT that Tonali insists he has NOT been betting on football.

"Three Italian players have been named in this ongoing investigation into so-called illegal betting. Another of them also plays in the Premier League in the form of Nicolo Zaniolo at Aston Villa. We've got the Juventus midfielder, Nicolo Fagioli, who's been named as well by authorities in Italy.

"Interesting to hear the comments from the Italian coach, Luciano Spalletti, this morning, saying that Tonali is, "absolutely distraught" that he's been caught up in this investigation and that it has had a negative effect on Italy ahead of their preparations for what is a huge game in terms of qualifying for the next Euros. So this could be advantage England tonight.

"There were reports circulating in Italy yesterday that Tonali possibly was going to plead guilty in order to lessen his sentence. Now, the key to this in terms of a ban is whether or not these players were actually betting on their own sport. Italian authorities take a very dim view of that and the punishment is a worldwide ban of up to three years.

"Slightly more positive, my conversations with sources close to Newcastle this morning, they're suggesting to me that actually Tonali denies betting on football.

"So, therefore, the worldwide ban would be taken off the table, seemingly.

"I think we need some clarity on this from the Italian authorities. Certainly, Newcastle and Aston Villa are trying to seek that clarity, as I understand it.

"Tonali returns to training at Newcastle on Monday and I think Eddie Howe and his coaching staff have been quite sympathetic so far to the situation that he finds himself embroiled in, and there's no suggestion at this stage that Tonali won't be eligible for selection for Newcastle against Crystal Palace on Saturday.

"Then why would the Italian squad feel the necessity to send him back? That's interesting. I think they were suggesting they were almost doing it for the player's own protection, to get them away from Italy and get them away from the spotlight. But it's a big call, isn't it? Because as big as this game is for England tonight, in terms of reaching the Euros, it's massive for Italy as well."

So Tonali himself is insisting he didn't bet on football, according to this.

No idea what to believe at this point  really, just so much speculation. If he hasn't been betting on football then how could there be any recourse from any footballing authority?

Hope the refs can leave him alone regarding cards.Also, there’s an even bigger reason for Gordon and Bruno to stop picking up silly cards. 

Edited by Ikon

Just now, GeordieDazzler said:

If it’s none football betting I can’t see him getting any sort of ban here.

Was Fagioli betting on football ? Just says illegal betting platforms on the tweet, which I’m sure Tonali has been accused of ?

28 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Hope the refs can leave him alone regarding cards.Also, there’s an even bigger reason for Gordon and Bruno to stop picking up silly cards. 

Another 2 of our players players and a fucking referee with a poker problem?

1 minute ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Jesus that's harsh. If it's not on football, you'd think it would be a private matter like drink driving. A similar ban for Tonali seems almost inevitable.

If that's true about Fagioli, and given Tonali's agent's comments, it is looking a bit ominous. 

Hopefully not, like. Christ knows what to think or believe with all this.