Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

9 minutes ago, Shak said:

Nice video that, cheers.

As the season went on last year I became more and more against the idea of moving Bruno from the #6 role. It's just so important to how we play having him as the base, dictating our passing. Thought adding a more traditional DM to push Bruno up would be a mistake given what we'd likely lose from that position.

Watching Tonali though, if this guy is the new #6 I no longer have those concerns. Looks very smooth on the ball.

Honestly, he looks like he'd be dynamite as a #8 too. Wouldn't be surprised to see him and Bruno swapping positions at times to keep opponents guessing. I'd guess this ultimately knocks Longstaff out of our strongest eleven but he'll still play an awful lot in the spot he was last year with either Bruno or Tonali as the #6.

I think the two will be interchangeable.

2 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

Tonali, Bruno and Jo is going to be outrageous. Imagine those 3 hunting you down.

If they also add the Turkish Messi, it will be pure entertainment. Even neutrals will watch them.

7 minutes ago, cranna said:

If they also add the Turkish Messi, it will be pure entertainment. Even neutrals will watch them.

We’ve got Willockinho to do that job and also Elliot Anderson to cover in there too. With Longstaff as another back up. Champions League may take a lot out of us but crucial to find someone to compete at the back with Schar and a left back (Tierney please). Tonali be a quality signing plenty of height in the middle to compete and can be considered an elite player.

Edited by ToonScotman

28 minutes ago, Shak said:

Nice video that, cheers.

As the season went on last year I became more and more against the idea of moving Bruno from the #6 role. It's just so important to how we play having him as the base, dictating our passing. Thought adding a more traditional DM to push Bruno up would be a mistake given what we'd likely lose from that position.

Watching Tonali though, if this guy is the new #6 I no longer have those concerns. Looks very smooth on the ball.

Honestly, he looks like he'd be dynamite as a #8 too. Wouldn't be surprised to see him and Bruno swapping positions at times to keep opponents guessing. I'd guess this ultimately knocks Longstaff out of our strongest eleven but he'll still play an awful lot in the spot he was last year with either Bruno or Tonali as the #6.

Yeah, that's where my thinking is too.  In terms of Longstaff - a successful season going forwards will mean 50+ games played per season.  I'm a fan of Willock and Longstaff - they'll definitely get minutes (and I prefer Willock in the centre to big Joe)

24 minutes ago, cranna said:

The Newcastle revolution is starting to take shape: Botman, Bruno, Tonali and Isak. 

Imagine all of them are going to be cloae to their peak around the same time, plus whoever else we get. We're setting ourselves up so nicely for the future!

1 hour ago, Shak said:

Nice video that, cheers.

Completely agree with this

Although Barella I think is a better player (obviously slightly different roles) but Tonali would work better for us due to the reason you mentioned, that ability to interchange from game to game and during games too 

2 hours ago, Shak said:

Nice video that, cheers.

I was with you man. I was vehemently against Bruno moving further up fearing whoever we signed to play the base role to really not be up to it to dictate play AND I have question marks over Bruno’s engine and fitness as a swarming 8 in Howe’s system. However, Tonali changes that for me. He’s able to dictate tempo, is quick, and is good at processing forward. If he’s a 6 or 8 or interchanging with Bruno…sign me up. 

7 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Screenshot_20230621_231135_Reddit.thumb.jpg.bc1b934b43065c41806b1549090dfab5.jpg

Um Well, there’s good news and bad news. The bad news is Tonali will be leaving and joining Newcastle. On a more positive note, the good news is we are going for Christian Pulisic. So every cloud. You’re still thinking about the bad news aren't you? 

Fuck sake. Is there even any point in us signing Tonali if they go after Pulisic? We're basically giving Chelsea free money to nab Weghorst and relegate us. Stupid business from us.

8 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

Are taxes so simple in the UK / Europe that that's easy to figure? 

Or is that just some crude math on the top tax rate? If so, isn't that 45% in the UK? There's no way we are paying him over £250k/wk. Refuse to believe it.

That was the point I was making, if it is going up by €2 million every year as well then he would be on over £400k a week by 2029 which just isn’t a believable figure.

28 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

To the chorus of The Weight by Bob Dylan and The Band. 

Take the ball, Tonali

Play the ball to feet

Take the ball, Tonali

Aaaaaaaand you play for the Toon Army 

My pedantic self can’t help but to point out that The Weight was written by Robbie Robertson and that The Band hadn’t backed Dylan for years at that point. I am terrible.