Sandro Tonali: charged by FA after alleged betting breaches / unlikely to serve additional ban (Hope)

The Prophet

5 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I would've kept him but he was the worst of the 3 on the ball, like, which was a smaller contributing factor to our waning control. Worst pass completion rate by a margin and it's not like he was consistently attempting really difficult ones either.

But the main difference between him and Longstaff is off the ball. Longstaff is very hard working but not exactly disciplined, he gets caught in bad spots quite often and has to make lung-busting recovery runs. Tonali is much more thoughtful and is a better athlete for when we're on the turn.

Their first goal comes from Jota doing what Foden did last weekend, drifting inside. Feel like if Tonali is there and that doesn't happen the same way.

Wild how many simple passes he gave away, I'm chalking it up to the pace of the league catching him out slightly, he certainly didn't do that for Milan. Off the ball though, yeah he's near perfect

10 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Wild how many simple passes he gave away, I'm chalking it up to the pace of the league catching him out slightly, he certainly didn't do that for Milan. Off the ball though, yeah he's near perfect

I think there was a moment where Tonali had some passes with Bruno then flicked it over someone's head to nobody. Feel like that was the moment Howe decided it was time to switch.

55 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

I didn’t notice this at all :lol:

2 hours ago, Kanji said:

Tonali is trying to play quickly though its often 1 touch stuff. 

Yep, seems like he's on another wavelength then the rest of the team. 

There are times I'm pleading with him to hold it and turn and look for a forward pass. Think as he gets more comfortable he'll be more adventurous. He definitely has the ability to pick incisive passes into the final third

Tonali has always been about taking high risk passes (with low success rates) in the opposition half and as a result has a very low pass completion stat in this area from his time in Milan. That is the type of player he is. His strength is carrying the ball upfield rather than passing it, that is why Howe replaces him with Longstaff. He is not a Bruno or a Maddison type player (nor is like Prlo which is the lazy comparison).

Edited by CaliMag

There was one pass he played that was a simple straight forward pass for Bruno, but it was Bruno who misread it and possession was given away. Don't think it's anything to do with Tonali not used to the pace of the game here but more to getting that click or being on the same wavelength with his teammates that is taking a bit of time.

44 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Not sure on that like. Thought maybe Botman or Schar.

It’s called helping a player settle in. TBF him and the two you mentioned not much in it along with Gordon.