Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

It wasn't one of our speculative low ball youth punts. It's annoying and frustrating as 1. Newcastle's name gets dragged in the muck by association. 2. We lose a player for a period of time we weren't at fault for. 3. The money allocated/spent on reflection he was our marquee signing of the summer seemingly passing up other viable targets for this man. Spending which we can't just spend again due to ffp even if its 6 months as a % of his overall contract length its a big chunk. Possibly long term devalue his actual worth in the future or limiting it due to the nature of the charge.

I know its not a shop and there are no refunds but in hindsight its obviously been a big mistake he may never recover from. We are a forgiving bunch of supporters and have signed players with a history of less than glorious behaviour but had hoped that was times of old.  Plus the fact he's hardly been here very long and made an immediate impact adds to the feeling the signing has been a failure before its even really begun. 

16 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Will be very interesting to see what Howe is allowed say about it on Friday.

It’s highly unlikely he’ll be involved at the weekend in any case but it will be reassuring if we hear him say “Sandro has our full support”

The club has already said that he has their full support.  Can't imagine Howe would contradict that.

Just now, dcmk said:

The club has already said that he has their full support.  Can't imagine Howe would contradict that.

Club statement said he has our full support and that we and Tonali won’t comment further whilst it’s being investigated.

Just now, dcmk said:

I just saw that. Fairly smart to get ahead of it. Gives Eddie a standard response now as he can say that he can’t talk about it.

When they say full support I very much believe them.

Even if Milan didn’t know, Tonali and his agent did.  Of course the club should work with him, and I know you can’t expect perfection from all people at all the times, but he signed the NUFC contract knowing full well what he’d been up to.

Some level of personal agency and responsibility has to come into this. 

28 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Even if Milan didn’t know, Tonali and his agent did.  Of course the club should work with him, and I know you can’t expect perfection from all people at all the times, but he signed the NUFC contract knowing full well what he’d been up to.

Some level of personal agency and responsibility has to come into this. 

Oh absolutely, I was thinking this earlier, he would have known at some point the shit was going to hit the fan, Milan would have known and the obvious agent who will know their players inside out, the fact he knowingly signed and this shit would follow him regardless is enough to let you know he's obviously a selfish fucker, otherwise he'd have stayed put and handled the shit himself.

Kind of explains his body language, many saying he appears to look a miserable fucker, some people's guilt and anxiety are on display as its constantly going around in their heads.

I don't feel sorry for Tonali at all, I feel sorry for Eddie, he's the one who's done so much, prepared this team and deserves so much credit, then this circus has landed on him, I'm sure he'll handle it like he always does like an absolute professional, I did wonder if integrity and trust will be on Eddie's mind, but like with Ryan Fraser, we know Eddie gives people a chance.

Edited by mighty__mag

2 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Oh absolutely, I was thinking this earlier, he would have known at some point the shit was going to hit the fan, Milan would have known and the obvious agent who will know their players inside out, the fact he knowingly signed and this shit would follow him regardless is enough to let you know he's obviously a selfish fucker, otherwise he'd have stayed put and handled the shit himself.

Kind of explains his body language, many saying he appears to look a miserable fucker, some people's guilt and anxiety are on display as its constantly going around in their heads.

I don't feel sorry for Tonali at all, I feel sorry for Eddie, he's the one who's done so much, prepared this team and deserves so much credit, then this circus has landed on him, I'm sure he'll handle it like he always does like an absolute professional, I did wonder if integrity and trust will be on Eddie's mind, but like with Ryan Fraser, we know Eddie gives people a chance.

Completely agree - I’d also completely back Howe in his approach to handling this.  Like you say though, Howe strikes very much as a man who demands the same high standards of integrity as he demands of himself.  I get the impression you get one chance with him, then *boot*

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

Let's just hope the investigation takes a little longer than expected and he can play a few more games before its done and dusted.

The case of Fagioli was concluded pretty quickly. Why would Tonali’s investigation take longer? 

2 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

The case of Fagioli was concluded pretty quickly. Why would Tonali’s investigation take longer? 

Because its already taken longer than his did. We heard about Fagiolis 7 month ban the same day that he came out from the investigation interview. Tonalis was over 24hrs ago and we've heard nothing yet, so you've got to assume it's not quite as cut and dry and Fagiolis.

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

Let's just hope the investigation takes a little longer than expected and he can play a few more games before its done and dusted.

Question being if he gets a game can he be trusted , a non tackle here, miss pass there, a shot missed, would have the troops wondering.

8 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Question being if he gets a game can he be trusted , a non tackle here, miss pass there, a shot missed, would have the troops wondering.

That would certainly be up for debate. All depends on his mentality. Difficult decision will need to be made by Howe and the club if he is still available to play against Palace. 

35 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Wondering what? That he's bet against us days after all this has come out? :lol:

Come on man.

His mental state given all that's gone on is a different matter though and one only he and probably Howe will be able to make the call on collectively. 

Might go down as the worst transfer of ours of all time or become a massive redemption arc to rival Jow. 

He's been very disappointing, but at least this has context for his frankly subpar performances. He's lucky Sean Longstaff exists because he'd be absolutely torn to shreds if he was our only hope. 

Edited by La Parka

Just now, La Parka said:

Might go down as the worst transfer of ours of all time or become a massive redemption arc to rival Jow. 

He's been very disappointed, but at least this has context for his frankly subpar performances. He's lucky Sean Longstaff exists because he'd be absolutely torn to shreds if he was our only hope. 

Yeah, thank god non of our fans like to get dramatic or over react. :lol:

Just saw Hope’s tweet saying the length of ban could be announced next week so Palace could be his last game for a while. 

I guess with Willock coming back and Tonali’s mixed performances I guess it’s as you were for us really. 

Hopefully he’s allowed to train with the team at least and should be fully up to speed and immersed in the squad by the time he’s cleared to play. 

13 minutes ago, La Parka said:

I'm one of the worst I'll not lie, but head be on the list with Michael Owen in an instant in the old days.

Michael Owen pales next to Marcelino, Luque, Thauvin etc - no matter how much of a little wanker he was / is.  Just in terms of output for cost.