Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

Think we'll miss him a lot more than people think tbh. He's not started a single game against anyone out of the top 7. Some of our downfall last season was turning draws into wins against the lesser sides. I know we howked Sheff Utd but I think long term, his ability would have shone through more and helped to convert those. We'll see.

28 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Think we'll miss him a lot more than people think tbh. He's not started a single game against anyone out of the top 7. Some of our downfall last season was turning draws into wins against the lesser sides. I know we howked Sheff Utd but I think long term, his ability would have shone through more and helped to convert those. We'll see.

Yep, I thought his quality was there, his positional sense within needed time and obviously it takes time to get up to speed with the way Howe has us playing (Gordon is the classic example of this)

13 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Produced a medical note proving he has gambling addiction, why wasn't this shared before he signed. 

Perhaps it was. We don't know what the club knew when he signed here. Maybe they knew about the gambling addiction but DIDNT know about the fact he was betting on football.

Newcastle United have made an important behind-the-scenes appointment. Dr Ian Mitchell will join as the club’s Head of Psychology next month when he leaves his current role as Head of Performance Psychology at the Wales FA.

Tell Me Mr Tonali How was your childhood.

https://www.newcastleworld.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/exciting-ex-england-man-known-to-kieran-trippier-will-join-newcastle-united-next-month-4377100

Edited by prefabtoon

Same people demanding we get players to share all their personal information, vices and relationship history before signing would not doubt be fuming if they were asked the same before a job offer. Fair enough if you work in legal profession or police or something but howeh, he plays football. 

1 hour ago, STM said:

Yeah, thank god non of our fans like to get dramatic or over react. :lol:

I'm not one for overreacting but there's no way he couldn't be a contender for worst ever signing as it stands. I think others still hold the title as it stands but I'm amazed at how relaxed people are about being potentially massively swindled here.

3 minutes ago, 80 said:

I'm not one for overreacting but there's no way he couldn't be a contender for worst ever signing as it stands. I think others still hold the title as it stands but I'm amazed at how relaxed people are about being potentially massively swindled here.

Aye, it’s hard to argue that it might not go that way.  There is a chance if it’s a lengthy ban that he doesn’t play for us again.  I’m not trying to be melodramatic, but it’s hardly something which has a tiny chance of occurring.

Considered the size of the outlay, it’s up there at the moment.  Hopefully in a couple of years time this thread is a great big Tonali love-in.  But at the minute people are well within their rights to be fucking furious.  

He will be a big miss. That said, I still think he could contribute a lot next season. Just to think he has been playing with his mind have troubles - next season when everything’s clear he would be quality 

This season though…we can only hope for a lucky season with very few injuries

Wouldn't it make sense with these giant money signings to put in some clauses for the player getting banned for stuff they did before signing?

It might still be that we did that..

Just now, The College Dropout said:

He'll be a massive miss. Even just mentally for the squad. It keeps the other midfielders on their toes.

I know he's not a "like for like" for Bruno but I also think he's best suited to cover that role when he's out or needs a break. We missed him hugely last year whenever he was out, it's a big blow. 

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Just read the athletic article, more than anything this seems like it’s going to really fuck us in terms of FFP.

It doesn’t change our FFP position in the slightest. We aren’t going to release him. 

12 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Just read the athletic article, more than anything this seems like it’s going to really fuck us in terms of FFP.

How's that, surely we're in exactly the same position as when he signed? Just because he is banned won't have any effect on what we are paying out in FFP terms

4 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

How's that, surely we're in exactly the same position as when he signed? Just because he is banned won't have any effect on what we are paying out in FFP terms

It might actually be beneficial as I’m sure his contract will be renegotiated from £200k a week to far less 

6 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It doesn’t change our FFP position in the slightest. We aren’t going to release him. 

5 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

They are basically saying we can’t afford a replacement for him (if it’s a length ban), and we are already at the limit for FFP.

Just now, nufcnick said:

It might actually be beneficial as I’m sure his contract will be renegotiated from £200k a week to far less 

He isnt on that now though so we have already saved a good £60000 a week in the 2 mins since your post

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

They are basically saying we can’t afford a replacement for him (if it’s a length ban), and we are already at the limit for FFP.

Yeah but we know this anyway, it has no bearing upon our FFP position, we can’t magic away the transfer and get our money back so it’s the status quo.