Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

1 minute ago, RodneyCisse said:

Not a chance we give our record midfield signing number 20.

Need to shift our squad numbers around a bit. Gordon shouldn't have 8, Ritchie is not in the first team enough to warrant 11 and same with Lascelles having 6. 

Call me old fashioned but I couldn't give a shit what number he wears, what font his name is in or any other faux stylistic crap that the kids seem to think matter these days.

:cool:

Edited by madras

Just now, madras said:

Call me old fashioned but I couldn't give a shit what number he wears, what font his name is in or any order faux stylistic crap that the kids seem to think matter these days.

:cool:

Surely old fashioned want the best players 1-11 though...

Just now, oldtype said:

We're going to have this guy and Bruno in midfield together? Seriously? Criminal amounts of class.

Compared to 2 years ago when it was Hayden and Shelvey or Shelvey and Hendrick or Hayden and Hendrick.

Just now, Scoot said:

Compared to 2 years ago when it was Hayden and Shelvey or Shelvey and Hendrick or Hayden and Hendrick.

I vaguely recall writing some kind of teary-eyed post on here when Cabaye left about how we'd never employ a CM of that quality again.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Hope we actually do sign another Italian. Can any of our squad speak it? Perhaps Schar, Krafth was there. 

More to the point, can he speak much English ?

Edited by madras

50 minutes ago, madras said:

Has he been ? Hadn't seen anything about him but dont know why it would be a surprise for him to be involved.

Nickson is our Chief Scout so I'd imagine he'd have passed his thoughts on to Ashworth, Eddie, and the Board before we sent a bloody bid :lol: 

56 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

You admitted yourself you only watched Tonali in some you tube clips, yet you have the lad nailed on exactly how he plays. That’s some going. It’s amazing what some people can accomplish over 8 minutes of highlights. You Dennis Wise?

No doubt my view is limited to compilations from YouTube, stats from fbref sofascote and whoscored and articles from the likes of James Horncastle.

I’m not pretending to know the player inside out but with the above I have a decent picture of his strengths AND weaknesses. Based on what I’ve read and seen I think he’s going to be a big success here. His physical profile and supposed mentality is perfect for the league and Howeball in particular. I’m just not expecting that we’ve signed the next Pirlo and I personally like the skill profile of some other players more.  For the money i would expect some elite technical ability and all of the data I’ve seen so far doesn’t suggest that’s the case. However I think we’re getting all the intangibles and a player perfect for our manager and team so I’m happy. I’ve just tempered expectations. 

57 minutes ago, madras said:

That may be in part down to our speed of breaking. I'm sure there was a stat about how we were quickest from winning possession to creating a chance and given that our XGa was high, that's not a bad thing. So overall possession  stats isn't a great worry. More so is that when teams defended with a low block and broke well we struggled to break them down.

We’re not the best at controlling games with the ball. As a 50+ game season team we’ll need to develop that part of our game. Tonali adds that extra bit of class to help us out there and I expect another signing to contribute to us being able to keep the ball a bit better and control games a tad more.   

———

I had these same debates with people using the same method with Pope, Botman and Gordon. The data and YouTube suggested Pope was a more proactive goalie than Dubs and he would be a big improvement. People argued with me when I said Botman looked good but a bit slow.  Now we all agree that he’s brilliant but he IS slow etc.  

1 hour ago, McDog said:

Can you imagine Guimarães, Tonali and Maddison? Yea, would be insanely good.

That has it all. I think that turns a good few of our draws into wins. 

4 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Nickson is our Chief Scout so I'd imagine he'd have passed his thoughts on to Ashworth, Eddie, and the Board before we sent a bloody bid :lol: 

That's why I said I don't know why it would be a surprise.:pow:

Edited by madras

1 minute ago, madras said:

That's why I said I don't know why it would be a surprise.

Nah i know, 100% with you. 

Nickson was having to "sort" deals for Hamza Choudrey and gets to scout Tonali. I'm chuffed for him too!