NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Just now, ponsaelius said:

True but his stats are genuinely awful otherwise. I think Maxi is a far more talented player who offers more creatively and unsettling teams defensively.

I don't mind Barnes as a player but he's the ultimate one trick pony. 

That one trick just happens to be end product. :lol:

Guest reefatoon
Just now, gdm said:

Aye he’s not at all an upgrade on ASM. Ridiculous how easily people forget how much he carried the whole team for 2 seasons. He’s had injuries and trying to change the way he plays that shouldn’t devalue him as a player

You say carried. He stood out in an absolutely horrific team and set up. He was a shining light when there was absolutely fuck all to watch and enjoy. We are a completely different team now, and we have surpassed him totally, in our style of play and quality, where he has become a bit part player.

Think it would do him the world of good to go back to being a big fish in a little pond, he really thrives on that.

1 minute ago, gdm said:

So what? How much did maxi drive us up the pitch pretty much all on his own. Let’s not forget Joelinton was missing sitters and longstaff could barely pass the ball and Almiron was almost useless. 

Yeah but we're not that team anymore, surely?

I think anyone who doesn't have a soft spot for Maxi is a bit weird and I'd be sad to see him go... but we shouldn't keep a player who doesn't fit into the current team style around just because he was good when we were shit.

3 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

(Very) loosely speaking choosing Barnes over Maxi is like choosing Lampard over Zidane.

The games more than just the numbers. 

Barnes isn't gonna worry the best right backs out there but Maxi will have gameplans made specifically for him - that's the difference.

Having said that, Barnes will be a good signing should he come.

Those right backs wouldn’t worry much when ASM is lying on the threatment table though.

Out of Barnes and ASM, it surprises me that Barnes is the one being labelled a one trick pony.

If Barnes got 13 goals at Leicester, how many would he have got for us? 15? If he'd got 15 goals, all of a sudden he would have been a world beater.

Any winger getting double figures is worthy of at least being labelled a very good player. I suspect he'd thrive with us.

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

Aye he’s not at all an upgrade on ASM. Ridiculous how easily people forget how much he carried the whole team for 2 seasons. He’s had injuries and trying to change the way he plays that shouldn’t devalue him as a player

Easy to carry a team when the tactic is defend and give the ball to Maxi to do something. We're way past an individual now. 

ASM has end product like, especially now. His xA even last season was top tier. Similar to Willock's xA, it's not his fault that other players missed chances he put on a plate for them.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, STM said:

Out of Barnes and ASM, it surprises me that Barnes is the one being labelled a one trick pony.

If Barnes got 13 goals at Leicester, how many would he have got for us? 15? If he'd got 15 goals, all of a sudden he would have been a world beater.

Any winger getting double figures is worthy of at least being labelled a very good player. I suspect he'd thrive with us.

I would take a one trick pony with those amount of goals any day.

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

You say carried. He stood out in an absolutely horrific team and set up. He was a shining light when there was absolutely fuck all to watch and enjoy. We are a completely different team now, and we have surpassed him totally, in our style of play and quality, where he has become a bit part player.

Think it would do him the world of good to go back to being a big fish in a little pond, he really thrives on that.

That wasn’t the point I was replying about tho. Point is Barnes isn’t a better player than him imo. I’m not sure Maxi will be able to adapt to play the way howe wants him to. I think he deserves some time 

3 minutes ago, BeloEmre said:

Those right backs wouldn’t worry much when ASM is lying on the threatment table though.

Was more in reference to people saying Barnes is a clear step up to Maxi when he's not. 

But yes, fitness will always be his major flaw but that's not a reflection on the quality he has as a player.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Literally a Leicester fan in that thread saying he's a one trick pony tbf :lol:

Ffs [emoji38] definitely sour grapes after relegation.

Still, just can't see a player who bags all types of goals and assists is one trick. Sure, he probs cuts inside a lot, but so does Maxi.

Exactly. As soon as Barnes bangs a few goals, which he will, then these people defending ASM will quickly forget him. It’s how football works. Fickle.

Loved ASM for us, but 12 goals in 112 games for his position is an awful return, hence why the club are upgrading on him.

Maxi is a much more talented player than Barnes, in the traditional sense. His quickness of feet is only bettered by players like Salah.

Sadly, football is played on a pitch and not in a circus. You wouldn't argue that ASM is better than say Martinelli? But there are things Maxi can do that Martinelli couldn't.

It's about the whole package. Barnes represents a much better package than ASM. He's more productive, more reliable, more malleable. He's very much an Eddie Howe player.

I don't want it to turn too much into a maxi bashing session because we all have a soft spot for him but the writing is on the wall IMO.

The only wide players from the top six sides with more goals than him last season are Salah, Rashford, Martinelli and Saka.

If he gets in to double figures with us next season and we finish top six he will be raved about.

4 minutes ago, Toon88 said:

Exactly. As soon as Barnes bangs a few goals, which he will, then these people defending ASM will quickly forget him. It’s how football works. Fickle.

Loved ASM for us, but 12 goals in 112 games for his position is an awful return, hence why the club are upgrading on him.

The irony of this post being Maxi's single handedly saved us from relegation twice and this has been forgotten after one sketchy season.

18 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

True but his stats are genuinely awful otherwise. I think Maxi is a far more talented player who offers more creatively and unsettling teams defensively.

I don't mind Barnes as a player but he's the ultimate one trick pony. 

And could it not be argued that in about 85% of his games for us, ASM has been an ineffectual Show Pony?

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

These journalists really do need new headline writers mind.

That’s half the problem. They regularly say they’re not writing the headline just the content.

9 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Ffs [emoji38] definitely sour grapes after relegation.

Still, just can't see a player who bags all types of goals and assists is one trick. Sure, he probs cuts inside a lot, but so does Maxi.

Remember Newcastle fans about Wijnaldum, can only play at home, etc. Amazing for Liverpool under a top manager.