NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, Manxst said:

I laughed when I read his wiki page and then saw the goal stat ?

“Tapsoba has been compared to Jérôme Boateng for his speed, strength, passing ability, and composure. He is also known for his ability to score goals, especially from the penalty spot”

He does score a few cracking pens in the video I've just watched tbf

He's a funny one to watch actually. It looks like everything is quite effortless - doesn't seem to be running particularly fast but then you see how much ground he's made up, or he just sort of flicks his leg out and makes what is objectively a really difficult challenge. Reminds me a bit of Yaya Toure in the sense that he never seemed to be really trying but just did everything so effectively.

Not the finished article just yet, but superb man-marking skills. Sees the ball being passed, onto his man like a shot, not afraid to commit to a standing tackle with his long legs. Would really put us at ease next to Botman.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

As always, wouldn’t read to much into what Howe says publicly about transfers. It’s usually smoke and mirrors as we’ve seen time and time again.

3 minutes ago, Nine said:

As always, wouldn’t read to much into what Howe says publicly about transfers. It’s usually smoke and mirrors as we’ve seen time and time again.

As it should be! Used to despise the way Pardew would talk about the sale of our better players with alarming regularity.

Howe noticeably shifting around in his seat when talking about how we weren't close to signing anyone. I'm not an expert in body language but that usually means someone is not telling the truth. A new signing by the end of next week doesn't seem so farfetched.

3 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Howe noticeably shifting around in his seat when talking about how we weren't close to signing anyone. I'm not an expert in body language but that usually means someone is not telling the truth. A new signing by the end of next week doesn't seem so farfetched.

I’m an expert n body language and I can assert that that was a case of piles giving him gyp   

Get that cheap young LB Barco/similar and a quality CB and it's been an AMAZING window. I'd say it's been a 9/10 in that case with onlý a RW missing. If (most likely) we "only" get a CB then it's still been a very very good window 8/10. So looking forward to the new season ahead!

Edited by Ikon

Still want us to use the loan market for a big attacking signing, a Felix or a Chiesa or even a Zaniolo. Still feel like something is missing up top in terms of dribbling and unpredictability. Ironically if ASM wasn't sold, we'd be pretty decent all over, providing we got the CB / LB. 

But now it does seem a tiny bit short of quality up front on the right. Almiron / Murphy is ok but not on the level of Saka, Diaby, Salah, Sterling, Foden/Grealish, Kulusevski, etc. I like Almiron but feels like he should be competing for that spot with someone on a higher level with Almiron pushing them/breathing down their neck for competition. 

Tabsoba and Tierney on loan would be awesome too and would genuinely make us bona fide top 4 contenders just on strength of squad alone (last season we overperformed). 

1 minute ago, kingxlnc said:

Still want us to use the loan market for a big attacking signing, a Felix or a Chiesa or even a Zaniolo. Still feel like something is missing up top in terms of dribbling and unpredictability. Ironically if ASM wasn't sold, we'd be pretty decent all over, providing we got the CB / LB. 

But now it does seem a tiny bit short of quality up front on the right. Almiron / Murphy is ok but not on the level of Saka, Diaby, Salah, Sterling, Foden/Grealish, Kulusevski, etc. I like Almiron but feels like he should be competing for that spot with someone on a higher level with Almiron pushing them/breathing down their neck for competition. 

Tabsoba and Tierney on loan would be awesome too and would genuinely make us bona fide top 4 contenders just on strength of squad alone (last season we overperformed). 

I could absolutely see us making a loan signing in the last few days of the window and of the exact calibre you mentioned. A player is wanting to leave but hasn't found a club willing to buy him yet is desperate to continue playing UCL football. Chiesa would be the obvious fit, I suppose it would depend on the wages through. Felix is the wrong type of player for us I think, however brilliant technically he is.

To be realistic speaking of trouble with ffp will mean sales, but starting next season i expect us to start some reasonable sales too bring in better. With market as it is miggy, willock even murphy could raise reasonable amounts. Equally if we don't make champions League (and I am on the doubt we will side) we will still have hopefully made steps up in commercial income from other avenues. 

2 hours ago, Mazzy said:

not necessarily - i do this a lot and it just means my underpants have rode up in my arse as i've put my too tight ones on again. 

17 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

not necessarily - i do this a lot and it just means my underpants have rode up in my arse as i've put my too tight ones on again. 

The truth being you keep buying the size you want to be not the size you are. 

I still have concerns about our attacking ability and breaking teams down when they park the bus, which I would expect more of this season.

Barnes will help with that with his goals and ability from distance but I’m not sure how much of an attacking threat Tonali will offer in the circumstances described above, so I would have hoped for another to help unlock teams who would play down the right.

I just don't think we were ever going to be realistically making more than 4-5 first team signings, 4 being the most likely number.

We've been pretty consistent now at limiting it to that each window, and I think it's right. There's an optimum level of of upheaval which works best in improving your squad without it becoming a problem in terms of integration. You also risk at spreading too thinly if you sign too many with our budget.

I think one more big signing at RCB, and probably just Manquillo to leave will be us done. I'd like a left back too but not sure that will happen if we get a CB.

Edited by ponsaelius

2 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

Although statistically we didn’t! O0

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Our creativity was fine last season.

It wasn’t though, there was a number of winnable games that we struggled to break teams down and put it away.

A number of draws that were considered points dropped.

Beca

5 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

It wasn’t though, there was a number of winnable games that we struggled to break teams down and put it away.

A number of draws that were considered points dropped.

Because we didn't create enough or because we didn't finish well enough? 

Longstaff alone could have had 10 last season.