NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

It wasn’t though, there was a number of winnable games that we struggled to break teams down and put it away.

A number of draws that were considered points dropped.

Didn’t our missed shots (with a high number of shots on target) let us down with dropped points? Creativity was there albeit with missed chances. Cue Harvey Barnes! [emoji38] 

2 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

It wasn’t though, there was a number of winnable games that we struggled to break teams down and put it away.

In open play games like Leeds away, Palace away, Bournemouth home and away I agree. But other games such as Chelsea away, Leicester at home, Leeds at home, Palace at home, West Ham at home; it was down to finishing and missing numerous chances (refereeing as well tut tut).

I think it's an issue but it's less of an issue than I probably first thought. 

3 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

In open play games like Leeds away, Palace away, Bournemouth home and away I agree. But other games such as Chelsea away, Leicester at home, Leeds at home, Palace at home, West Ham at home; it was down to finishing and missing numerous chances (refereeing as well tut tut).

I think it's an issue but it's less of an issue than I probably first thought. 

Hello Harvey Barnes

:tobey:

Edited by PauloGeordio

My guess is we have our eyes set on RCB, LB, RW and #6.  RCB seems to be the largest priority for Eddie Howe. If a deal is to be had for any of those positions, they'll switch the order and make an opportunistic purchase (see Gordon in Jan). I'd venture to say we will fill all of those positions come end of next summer. In 3 windows we'll have made those signings (Summer 2023, Jan 2023, Summer 2024)

Just watched the pre-match interview with Eddie, seems when answering to Keith I think it was, he kind of indicated there's another player, I think when they do this it won't be a random, I took from it they're looking at one more primary target after Livramento.

Could this be Joachim Andersen?

4 minutes ago, Kanji said:

My guess is we have our eyes set on RCB, LB, RW and #6.  RCB seems to be the largest priority for Eddie Howe. If a deal is to be had for any of those positions, they'll switch the order and make an opportunistic purchase (see Gordon in Jan). I'd venture to say we will fill all of those positions come end of next summer. In 3 windows we'll have made those signings (Summer 2023, Jan 2023, Summer 2024)

There’s been a bit of talk about wanting a centre forward too- no need this year given other priorities, but come next summer I think we’ll be looking at a Wilson replacement (he’ll be 32, I think). 

31 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Midway through the season, yes, but once we were in full flow, March onwards, we were awesome in attack.

4 minutes ago, Manxst said:

There’s been a bit of talk about wanting a centre forward too- no need this year given other priorities, but come next summer I think we’ll be looking at a Wilson replacement (he’ll be 32, I think). 

He’s out of contract I think so it may well be essential.

3 minutes ago, Manxst said:

I can see the reasoning and I'd like us to get another forward as in some games it could well be an idea to have Isak dropping that bit deeper with someone ahead of him.

FWIW I think we'll become a lot more fluid this season once Tonali is bedded in.

44 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I just don't think we were ever going to be realistically making more than 4-5 first team signings, 4 being the most likely number.

We've been pretty consistent now at limiting it to that each window, and I think it's right. There's an optimum level of of upheaval which works best in improving your squad without it becoming a problem in terms of integration. You also risk at spreading too thinly if you sign too many with our budget.

I think one more big signing at RCB, and probably just Manquillo to leave will be us done. I'd like a left back too but not sure that will happen if we get a CB.

This basically. Think a versatile defender coming in and that’s the window done.

And the obligatory loans out of Fraser, Haydn & Hendrick hopefully.

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

This basically. Think a versatile defender coming in and that’s the window done.

And the obligatory loans out of Fraser, Haydn & Hendrick hopefully.

I think, without any evidence whatsoever, we are very much trying for a RCB who is first team ready and would like, if a great deal came along ie Tierney on loan , a LB.

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

I still have concerns about our attacking ability and breaking teams down when they park the bus, which I would expect more of this season.

Barnes will help with that with his goals and ability from distance but I’m not sure how much of an attacking threat Tonali will offer in the circumstances described above, so I would have hoped for another to help unlock teams who would play down the right.

It's alright the opposition parking the bus ,the issue that arises is when they need to get into gear and the battery is flat, very difficult to regain momentum .

It was a finishing problem more than a creativity problem. 

I still have concerns about our attacking ability and breaking teams down when they park the bus, which I would expect more of this season.

Barnes will help with that with his goals and ability from distance but I’m not sure how much of an attacking threat Tonali will offer in the circumstances described above, so I would have hoped for another to help unlock teams who would play down the right.

That’s where Tonali come in. A half way point between Longstaff’s physicality and. Bruno’s technique meaning we aren’t forced to rely on him creating everything.

There's quite a bit of data that supports that we were pretty creative last year but wasteful. We were top of the charts, there or thereabouts, for hitting the woodwork & big chances missed last season and our chances created & xG were consistently strong too. We relied more on set piece opportunities than some of the other top sides but that's a very legitimate weapon for tight games if you don't have Dan Burn as your primary target.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

Just had a thought, what if Todibo has always been our first choice CB signing and that's why OGC Nice were one of the teams invited to play at the Sela Cup. And the real reason we didn't play against Nice is so Howe/Tindall could scout him effectively without distraction.

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

2 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

Suppose you look at the leicester game at home when we seemed to have 90% possession but ran out of ideas the last 20mins. However even in that game we hit the woodwork 3 times which suggests we don't take as many chances when they come compared to the top 6 maybe.

I think Barnes is a very important signing as in games like that he will be more direct rather than switching play continuously from right to left

Edited by Pancrate1892
Missing word

11 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Suppose you look at the leicester game at home when we seemed to have 90% possession but ran out of ideas the last 20mins. However even in that game we hit the woodwork 3 times which suggests we don't take as many chances when they come compared to the top 6 maybe.

I think Barnes is a very important signing as in games like that he will be more direct rather than switching play continuously from right to left

I think we hit the woodwork more than anyone else else last season.

I think both things are true.

Adding better finishers like Barnes will help us a lot but I do think our wingers are somewhat lacking in terms of that final ball.

I think when we do finally sign a RW it'll be someone who's more of a left footed AM than a Diaby type.

Guler would have been perfect for it. Also think we'd have gone back in for Raphinha if Barca had got Guler or Messi.

Going into the window I'd have said RW and LB were our biggest weaknesses. However, it's clear that if we can't get our primary targets then we don't go very far down the list.

Maybe they think this time next year we'll be able to buy an Alphonso Davies or Theo Hernandez for LB and don't want to settle for a small upgrade now.

Same for the RW spot.