NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Maybe not title rival.  But I’d think Howe should get us back into the top 4. As it stands I don’t expect top 4 again. 

Top 5… Top 5 this season 🙂

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Depends on coefficient for the season isn’t it?

Which you think is in the bag with Man City & West Ham winning both finals. I’ll be honest I’m no expert on how it works and you are correct it is based on coefficient but from what I’ve heard it’s practically guaranteed 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by LFEE

Difficult to predict what the final arrival will be. They operate on an "if there's a deal to be done" sorta basis so it honestly wouldn't surprise me that much if another CM randomly turned up, for instance. That's probably not likely obviously, but their long-termist approach is why we got Gordon in January and why we got Livramento before an orthodox LB.

Personal preference would be a CB but it's exciting going into the rest of the window with the pressure more-or-less off, and with the squad in pretty formidable nick.

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Which you think is in the bag with Man City & West Ham winning both finals. I’ll be honest I’m no expert on how it works and you are correct it is based on coefficient but from what I’ve heard it’s practically guaranteed 🤷‍♂️ 

I believe it’s based on THIS years standalone coefficient. So the top 2 performing nations in Europe this season get an extra CL place next season.  

Edited by The College Dropout

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I believe it’s based on THIS years standalone coefficient. So the top 2 performing nations in Europe this season get an extra CL place next season.  

Interesting. Not going to disagree as I don’t know for sure but surely a bit odd as Rangers are benefiting from possible seeding in this years ECL if they qualify based on their final appearance a few years ago 🙂

If it is how you say then it’s up to us to get as far as we can (along with the other English teams obviously which you’d like to think they will?).

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

it is. But is fairly likely we get that spot, all the same. 

“But the UEFA Champions League has a new format for the 2024/25 season, with an expanded 36 participating teams in a “Swiss league” format. This also allows for an additional place to be each allocated to two countries whose clubs collectively performed the best in UEFA competitions the season before. 

So, if the Premier League clubs provide one of the top two performances for a nation in the 2023/24 UCL, UEFA Europa League and UEFA Europa Conference League the team finishing fifth this season will earn a UCL spot.  

Last season, Manchester City won the Champions League while West Ham United claimed the UECL with a 2-1 victory over Fiorentina. Indeed, in five of the past six seasons – and seven of the past 11 – the Premier League would have merited this extra spot.  

We will likely only know when that fifth spot will come into play for the UCL towards the end of the season, when the geographical spread of the participating clubs in the latter stages UEFA competitions is known.”

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3620004

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

“But the UEFA Champions League has a new format for the 2024/25 season, with an expanded 36 participating teams in a “Swiss league” format. This also allows for an additional place to be each allocated to two countries whose clubs collectively performed the best in UEFA competitions the season before. 

So, if the Premier League clubs provide one of the top two performances for a nation in the 2023/24 UCL, UEFA Europa League and UEFA Europa Conference League the team finishing fifth this season will earn a UCL spot.  

Last season, Manchester City won the Champions League while West Ham United claimed the UECL with a 2-1 victory over Fiorentina. Indeed, in five of the past six seasons – and seven of the past 11 – the Premier League would have merited this extra spot.  

We will likely only know when that fifth spot will come into play for the UCL towards the end of the season, when the geographical spread of the participating clubs in the latter stages UEFA competitions is known.”

Thanks for clarifying 👍🏻

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Aye. But for now I would consider it the top 4. If 5th is CL that’s a bonus. While more than likely it’s not a given.  

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Interesting. Not going to disagree as I don’t know for sure but surely a bit odd as Rangers are benefiting from possible seeding in this years ECL if they qualify based on their final appearance a few years ago 🙂

If it is how you say then it’s up to us to get as far as we can (along with the other English teams obviously which you’d like to think they will?).

You're right that it's a departure from the standard 5 year rolling system from previous years which dictates not only league ranking (and how many places they get) but also each team's coefficient score.

It's an oddity in this sense because it is based exclusively off the country's performance during the season in play to determine these two bonus places. Not a fan personally as it means that you don't really know whether that place will exist until late in the season (kind of how Fair Play places in the Intertoto used to appear randomly at the end of the season).

32 minutes ago, Toonjam88 said:

We are a right centre half, left back and another attacking midfielder/right winger away from being a genuine title rival for me 

I actually agree, as crazy as that sounds.  We have two very strong 11’s with a few good extras like Murphy and Miley. 

Chiesa and then Almiron, great impact sub, like Barnes

Schar to Lascelles drop off slightly too big, so a Tapsoba or Todibo to bridge the gap. 

Tierney to play LB with Targett back up.

It actually completes a very solid even title challenging squad.

Let Manquillo, Krafth, Hayden, Hendrick and Fraser leave.

Next season the first window splurge drops off so we can address the aging Wilson. 

It really feels closer than ever to a spectacular squad which is weird as with FFP two years is impossible from the position we were in.

This extra spot thing seems slightly flawed, surely whoever gets that extra spot (Especially if its a league like the Premier League or LaLiga) will likely get it again the year after, as they have better odds in getting further in the tournament.

Just now, 54 said:

This extra spot thing seems slightly flawed, surely whoever gets that extra spot (Especially if its a league like the Premier League or LaLiga) will likely get it again the year after, as they have better odds in getting further in the tournament.

Aye but the team who get the final European spot could be weak as fuck, and bring the average down.