NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

21 minutes ago, Manxst said:

“Newcastle are looking at centre-backs and have explored fees and availability for the likes of Jean-Clair Todibo (Nice), Edmond Tapsoba (Leverkusen), Odilon Kossounou (Leverkusen), Perr Schuurs (Torino), Joachim Andersen (Crystal Palace), Armel Bella-Kotchap (Southampton) and Antonio Silva (Benfica).” (Craig Hope)

Great thanks. Seems pretty clear they’ve identified the area as a concern with injuries. 

4 hours ago, Manxst said:

“Newcastle are looking at centre-backs and have explored fees and availability for the likes of Jean-Clair Todibo (Nice), Edmond Tapsoba (Leverkusen), Odilon Kossounou (Leverkusen), Perr Schuurs (Torino), Joachim Andersen (Crystal Palace), Armel Bella-Kotchap (Southampton) and Antonio Silva (Benfica).” (Craig Hope)

Very good list. 

1 minute ago, Guybrush said:

That makes sense. Our left back options are non existent.

Non existent options is pushing it- we’ve got Burn, Targett and also Trippier if required (and possibly Livramento?). They can be upgraded, sure.

Ashworth: What tends to happen is pre-season finishes and clubs hold a slightly higher number of players. Players then tend to be released from there and then you have the domino effect when the season starts and it accelerates.

Tierney seems like the most obvious going off the above. No doubt Arsenal would be reluctant to do business with a PL rival but if Tierney rejects moves elsewhere I could see it happening but sounds like one that will go down to the wire if it does.

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

Non existent options is pushing it- we’ve got Burn, Targett and also Trippier if required (and possibly Livramento?). They can be upgraded, sure.

Hyperbole is the language of our times [emoji38]

See your point - but it would be nice to have a natural LB in the same league as Trippier.

Just now, Guybrush said:

Hyperbole is the language of our times [emoji38]

See your point - but it would be nice to have a natural LB in the same league as Trippier.

Yeah, of course. But it’s also be nice to have a RW in the same league as the other forwards, etc etc. LB will no doubt be upgraded at some point (next year if not this, I’m sure) but we had the best defence in the league last year with Burn playing the majority of games. 

A quality LB improves the team more whereas a serviceable RCB does more to improve the squad.

It's strange as I don't recall us being linked with any LB's all summer. Perhaps Tierney on a loan signing is all but agreed and Arsenal just want to hold off until the end of the window in case a long term injury occurs to their other options or to have extra cover until Zinchenko returns.

Just now, OoOGazOoO said:

I took Eddie's comments around being "Creative" with the next/final transfer of the Summer, meaning that it could be someone a bit left field, who maybe is a little bit under the radar.

Wonder if we'd do a loan with obligation to buy like Arsenal have with Raya. 

1 minute ago, OoOGazOoO said:

I took Eddie's comments around being "Creative" with the next/final transfer of the Summer, meaning that it could be someone a bit left field, who maybe is a little bit under the radar.

I think what he was saying was that we would have to be creative about financing - either with a loan with option to buy, or spreading the payments.

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I can’t see them loaning him to us at all unless we have an obligation to buy at the end. 

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Looks like Sociedad are in pole position to get him.

They're looking at a loan move too, their record signing is 20m Euros so can't see them paying more or less double that for Tierney. If he doesn't want to leave the PL I think Arsenal might do business to get him off the books.

3 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I think what he was saying was that we would have to be creative about financing - either with a loan with option to buy, or spreading the payments.

Oh aye yeh you're probably right there pal.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Have we done one of those since the new owners took charge?