NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Dont think we'll bother with Ekitike. He'd take a while to get up to speed given that he's not played a minute of football since August. Nowhere near the PSG team. 

Wonder why we couldnt have him training with us from now with a transfer/loan arranged to go through in January. Guess its legally too complicated but it would suit all parties. 

9 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

We already have the forward who’ll take us to the next level. Unfortunately we isolate him from the midfield, waste his body having him chase lost causes and / or have Almiron to his right which doesn’t click for multiple reasons. 

The next signing for the midfield / out wide needs to done primarily with the goal of preserving and getting the best out of Isak. 

Isak is pretty involved in our overall play as well as having strong output where it matters. There are odd games where he's low on touches as is the case for any striker, but, by and large, Isak is either strong or well above average for touches (general and/or in the penalty area), passes, dribbles etc compared to other strikers. If you look at Haaland or Wilson, they're properly isolated in that they're barely involved in anything other than touches in the box. Even someone like Watkins who is perceived to be strongly involved in multiple parts of the game doesn't attempt as many passes or dribbles as Isak does in an average match.

As for 'wasting his body' - pressing is a prominent part of the modern game even for elite players; the conditioning and sports science now gives little excuse. Looking at his numbers this season though, Isak is way down on what he does defensively compared to last year - he's bottom tier for all of it. He's not been anywhere near as hardworking or effective this season compared to last based on the eye test and I reckon his sprints/distance covered will be way down from 22/23.

1 hour ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Isak is pretty involved in our overall play as well as having strong output where it matters. There are odd games where he's low on touches as is the case for any striker, but, by and large, Isak is either strong or well above average for touches (general and/or in the penalty area), passes, dribbles etc compared to other strikers. If you look at Haaland or Wilson, they're properly isolated in that they're barely involved in anything other than touches in the box. Even someone like Watkins who is perceived to be strongly involved in multiple parts of the game doesn't attempt as many passes or dribbles as Isak does in an average match.

As for 'wasting his body' - pressing is a prominent part of the modern game even for elite players; the conditioning and sports science now gives little excuse. Looking at his numbers this season though, Isak is way down on what he does defensively compared to last year - he's bottom tier for all of it. He's not been anywhere near as hardworking or effective this season compared to last based on the eye test and I reckon his sprints/distance covered will be way down from 22/23.

He’s looked fooked most of the time I’ve seen him play! 

40 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Essentially we need a new Maddison, or a new Rodri (in my opinion). Bringing either of that type of player in solves our problems. Or clone Bruno.

I’ll be controversial here and say we need 2 midfielders - Caqueret and Y Fofana for me 

Loan Miley 

Loan Anderson

Recall Minteh for 24/25

Willock moves up the pitch 

Buy a young 9 - Marcus Leonardo? 

Buy a CB

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's always the same, familiar PL players like Anderson, Barnes or Gordon are always deemed as underwhelming, but the riskier foreign asset is almost always preferred, regardless of ability.

Anderson isn’t in the same league as them currently tbf.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Comparing Isak to Haaland or Wilson is fools gold. 

In terms of style - he’s more similar to Jesus. He wants to drop deep and play. But it doesn’t look like he has the physical capacity (atm) to play his more involved game and press. Neither does Jesus.  

I'm not comparing them as players; I'm saying they're strikers who you could easily class as 'isolated' or 'uninvolved' by design so they're interesting numbers to look at. Isak is naturally involved in plenty of our play so saying he's isolated is, imo, incorrect. Whether we get the ball to him in optimum positions to score is a different story.

Mbeumo is quality IMO. He's not quite the profile I'd go for, but easily good enough for top 7. His age blew my mind as well, he must have signed for Brentford as a teenager as I swear he was tearing up the Champo years ago.

He's tied down long term though and Brentford aren't daft. Would be big money rather than a bargain fee.

Edited by ponsaelius