NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

40 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'll be astonished if anything happens before deadline day. Trippier was a total outlier - a rare situation that fell uniquely in our favour - and Wood was the dictionary definition of a panic buy. We won't have a January window like that again. 

It's looking really unlikely isn't it. Loans without an option to buy aren't very attractive and loans with options to buy are difficult to arrange for players we actually want to keep.

Is it even possible to find funds within the confines of FFP even if we wanted to bring a transfer forward from the summer? There don't seem to be any rumours about us selling players, so I think it's going to be tumbleweeds throughout January.

Going into the second half of the season with this threadbare squad, no new additions and Almiron playing every game doesn't scream European football though.

Edited by Holmesy

Said it before, but assuming we don't have a wild injury crisis again in the second half of the season I think we have the squad for top 7, maybe even scrape into the top 6. Once Barnes is back Almiron won't be playing every game. 

I'd be all over Saudi league players on loan with how the bellend six are going about trying to stop is progressing on all fields!

Benzema and Mahrez please and you lot are paying 99% of their wages, cheers!

Edited by Paully

2 minutes ago, Paully said:

I'd be all over Saudi leaguer players on loan with how the bellend six are going about trying to stop is progressing on all fields!

I think we would be, but it will be convincing certain players to give up unreal luxury lifestyles they're currently enjoying, to come and spend six months in a hotel without their families, and in shite freezing cold dull UK.

2 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

I think we would be, but it will be convincing certain players to give up unreal luxury lifestyles they're currently enjoying, to come and spend six months in a hotel without their families, and in shite freezing cold dull UK.

There’s also the tax implications - some of our more learned accountants might be able to provide a steer but I read somewhere that they could end up paying a painful amount in tax if they come back within 2 years. Think it was when Henderson went over.

There’s also the issue (that everyone seems to totally ignore) of why would a Saudi team just ‘let’ us have one of their star players?

If the theory is that they do what they’re told by PIF, then why are they spending this obscene amount of money to try and make their league up there with the major European leagues, if they’re just prepared to make it play second fiddle to us?

There are one or two that have been mentioned, that went over there and aren't getting a game - doesn't bode well really. One was a mid-20s Portuguese right winger if i remember correctly?

4 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

There are one or two that have been mentioned, that went over there and aren't getting a game - doesn't bode well really. One was a mid-20s Portuguese right winger if i remember correctly?

Jota? The guy who went over from Celtic. Tore up the SPL, not that thats saying much. 

31 minutes ago, Paully said:

I'd be all over Saudi league players on loan with how the bellend six are going about trying to stop is progressing on all fields!

I was against it but fuck it may as well make it work for us 

24 minutes ago, SteV said:

There’s also the issue (that everyone seems to totally ignore) of why would a Saudi team just ‘let’ us have one of their star players?

If the theory is that they do what they’re told by PIF, then why are they spending this obscene amount of money to try and make their league up there with the major European leagues, if they’re just prepared to make it play second fiddle to us?

22 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The whole thing is bollocks. 

Both of these.

I must admit I thought we may have had a player ready to come in soon as the window opened. We've had ample time with all our injury problems to sort a few loans out. 

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Fear. (?)

26 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Would only apply (to the exact scenario of the link) to English players. 

Foreign players wouldn't have been UK domiciled in the first place so different rules would apply for when they are triggering tax liabilities for their time in Saudi. They'd have to fall in line with their own countries tax regimes.

(caveat I'm an accountant and understand enough about UK tax rules but pretty much zero on other countries!)

Of course any income earned whilst playing in the premier league is taxable in the UK

38 minutes ago, andycap said:

I must admit I thought we may have had a player ready to come in soon as the window opened. We've had ample time with all our injury problems to sort a few loans out. 

Loans would have seemed the obvious short term solution, but I guess there might be a feeling most of our injured players will be back by the time we could get someone in so it would be a waste of money and disruption to the squad.

I don't really buy it though, we are short of a midfielder and a keeper for most of the remaining season, and you could argue we need a striker and wide man as well given Barnes doesn't look that close to returning.

2 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Willock, Barnes, Anderson, & Wilson should all be back by the end of the transfer window, or in other words they're all unavavailable for another 2 league games at most. Likely having some impact on what we do. 

Of those only Anderson is the one I would trust not to break down again.

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

Of those only Anderson is the one I would trust not to break down again.

I disagree - a stress fracture can reoccur - seen it happen to countess cricketers 

2 minutes ago, Mikky said:

I disagree - a stress fracture can reoccur - seen it happen to countess cricketers 

Was about to make potentially sexist comment, but reeled myself in! … … “Man’s game!” (Shit). 

6 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Was about to make potentially sexist comment, but reeled myself in! … … “Man’s game!” (Shit). 

It’s quite a bad injury - need to get the rehab spot on 

13 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Happens to fast bowlers though mainly right? Due to the bowling action? Not the type of area of the body that should be particularly at risk in football, no?

It's very short sighted by the club if they think we can get away with no more injuries. We get three back end of January but could take three to four games to get upto speed. I'd get in three loans with no option to pad the squad and give the three coming back time to recover properly. 

Edited by andycap