I’d say that’s reasonable at a stretch:

Wilson - £15m

Miggy - £15m

Longstaff - £12m

Murphy - £10m

Fraser - £2m

Dubs - £2m

Gets you to £56m

Can't tell if you really personally overvalue Murphy or undervalue Longstaff because despite what alot of Newcastle fans will say he's worth far more than that. Can't see the club letting him leave at all and if they did then it's £20M minimum in the summer especially after his goal output this season.

18 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I disagree about our midfield. Yea, we are stacked in numbers but not quality. We play three in midfield so we need more in there imo. One injury/suspension, never mind a bad one and we will look quite fragile there, especially in depth and quality. If the midfield doesn’t work or have enough quality then attack and the defence will suffer. I think some of us rate our midfielders a little bit too much, especially the ones outsides of Bruno, Joellinton and Tonali. 

We need at least 2 top quality midfielders on the pitch at all times and as good as Willock is, he's not top level (although he has the ingredients) and is also injury prone. 

Anderson and Miley aren't at the level yet to actively support out push to the level we want to be at.

29 minutes ago, gbandit said:

No chance Pope would be happy to be  number two unless he’s permanently crocked 

Maybe not, but he will have to deal with it if it happens. I think we will sign Mamardashvili. Sounds more like when and not if. Unless some other major clubs moves in. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Don’t think anyone is arguing we couldn’t do with more quality at CM, but it’s not a priority over other positions this window.

Maybe not, but i do think we will sign one, and that it’s not impossible to get done despite having other areas to solve too. 

29 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Can't tell if you really personally overvalue Murphy or undervalue Longstaff because despite what alot of Newcastle fans will say he's worth far more than that. Can't see the club letting him leave at all and if they did then it's £20M minimum in the summer especially after his goal output this season.

Murphy’s output is reasonable, certainly for a newly promoted team.

Since 2020/21 he’s played 114 times for us. 9 goals and 9 assists. Plenty of PL experience, good character to have around. Also UCL experience now (3 games).

In the last 5 years Longstaff has played 135 PL games with 9 goals and 9 assists.

There will certainly be links and enquiries for CMs until the end of June when Bruno’s release clause closes - be negligent for the club not to have a shortlist of CM targets in the event Bruno’s clause is triggered.

The media will pick up on these so I think there’ll be rumours floating around.

I agree the squad is a top level midfielder short, so if a ‘perfect’ target became available I can see the club moving on it opportunistically 

58 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I disagree about our midfield. Yea, we are stacked in numbers but not quality. We play three in midfield so we need more in there imo. One injury/suspension, never mind a bad one and we will look quite fragile there, especially in depth and quality. If the midfield doesn’t work or have enough quality then attack and the defence will suffer. I think some of us rate our midfielders a little bit too much, especially the ones outsides of Bruno, Joellinton and Tonali. 

I agree I don't like the blend but I don't see how we buy in midfield unless Bruno is sold.

Bruno

Tonali

Joelinton (new contract)

Longstaff - if we could get a decent fee, I would sell him, I don't see a decent fee coming though

Willock - would be selling at the lower end of his value

Anderson - selling at low end of potential value

Miley

IMO you can't add a first-teamer to this really unless you sell Longstaff, Willock or Anderson and I don't think we get good fees for any of them.

If we loan someone out we could get in a loan like Spurs did Bentacur or Arsenal did Odegaard. But those are hard to come by and tend to be January type signings.

50 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Would Pope be alright with being number 2? He's a fantastic goalkeeper and would definitely fall into the too good to be a number 2 category. 

Agreed.

Also a GK is a luxury transfer IMO. From what we know about our FFP position, we can't afford those anyway. We are looking at free signings at CB/LB for a reason. The money pool will be limited unless we sell v. well.

18 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Don’t think anyone is arguing we couldn’t do with more quality at CM, but it’s not a priority over other positions this window.

I disagree it's not a priority. Most of our defensive work is done in that midfield area and we saw how combination of tired legs and poor ball retention impacted us this season.

It's arguably the most impactful area of the pitch and so strengthening that area has to be one of our top priorities.

6 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

I disagree it's not a priority. Most of our defensive work is done in that midfield area and we saw how combination of tired legs and poor ball retention impacted us this season.

It's arguably the most impactful area of the pitch and so strengthening that area has to be one of our top priorities.

I will stick with Eddie Howes opinion as to whats a priority cheers

I think some people are living on cuckoo land with their transfer expectations.

Unless there's a raft of commercial activity, a change in PSR rules for next season, a mega-sale, a clear-out that includes active first-teamers - we'll not have more than 2 decent money transfers.

I reckon there will be a bit of some of the above. Some commercial deals, and some first-teamers leaving but nothing crazy. If we sign a new first-team GK - IMO we sell Nick Pope to help fund it. A new CM would require a midfield sale. 

27 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Is it a higher priority than a RW? Or a striker assuming Wilson goes ? 

We are well stocked in CM IMO, if Rodri or Rice becomes available maybe, but other areas are priority

18 minutes ago, STM said:

I think it's as likely someone like Willock is sold late on and we replace him, than Bruno goes.

And even Willock - he's well positioned to be #4 midfielder in terms of wages. Tonali, Bruno & Tonali will all be on serious wages. A level-up Willock replacement is likely to cost a lot and be on twice the wages.

If we could do our own Willock to Odegaard move that would be a no-brainer. But that doesn't seem likely. I guess if we are convinced we've found the next Paqueta or Bruno cool but that's a high-bar.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

I think some people are living on cuckoo land with their transfer expectations.

Unless there's a raft of commercial activity, a change in PSR rules for next season, a mega-sale, a clear-out that includes active first-teamers - we'll not have more than 2 decent money transfers.

I reckon there will be a bit of some of the above. Some commercial deals, and some first-teamers leaving but nothing crazy. If we sign a new first-team GK - IMO we sell Nick Pope to help fund it. A new CM would require a midfield sale. 

Yep. A free or two, a versatile winger in the 40-50m price bracket, Hall and a couple of Harrison-style starlets for the academy and that’s our lot, I imagine.

CBs aside (assuming the two free transfers come in) RW and striker surely has to be priority. Yes there’s other areas we could improve but a genuine back up for Isak who can stay fit and a proper RW are vital. 

22 minutes ago, STM said:

I think it's as likely someone like Willock is sold late on and we replace him, than Bruno goes.

Who is buying someone with an injury record like his tho?  

Like buying a car that never leaves the garage

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

CBs aside (assuming the two free transfers come in) RW and striker surely has to be priority. Yes there’s other areas we could improve but a genuine back up for Isak who can stay fit and a proper RW are vital. 

Howes comments yesterday suggest he wants Wilson here as replacing him will fuck up our budget elsewhere

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Howes comments yesterday suggest he wants Wilson here as replacing him will fuck up our budget elsewhere

The only way that works is if they bring in another young striker to rotate in or RW who can play striker but Gordon has shown that’s not really filling the strikers role properly. But it’s a risky strategy given Wilson has proved he just cannot stay fit and that puts immense pressure on Isak. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

4 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

The only way that works is if they bring in another young striker to rotate in or RW who can play striker but Gordon has shown that’s not really filling the strikers role properly. But it’s a risky strategy given Wilson has proved he just cannot stay fit and that puts immense pressure on Isak. 

Obviously if we find a cheap young backup it would help, point being the manager seems to greatly disagree with most on here

Just now, Fezzle said:

Obviously if we find a cheap young backup it would help, point being the manager seems to greatly disagree with most on here

I guess we’ll all know pretty soon, going to be a very interesting summer.

Apologies if this is linked to yesterday's article.

A scout from the English team was against Rayo. Aaron Ramsdale is his great competitor for the 'Magpies' goal.

Giorgi Mamardashvili's display last Sunday against Rayo Vallecano, which literally left referees and rivals freaking out, was witnessed by Newcastle United . A scout from the British team went to Mestalla to continue monitoring the Georgian , something they have done more times this campaign, even when Valencia CF was playing as a visitor, as they also went to El Sadar to watch the match.

As Relevo reported, there are many clubs that have expressed interest in Mamardashvili, although the only one that has spoken with him personally and has taken a real step to incorporate him has been Newcastle . The English team is clear that they are going to sign a 'top' goalkeeper this summer and in their casting of finalists is the name of Mamardashvili. Although he has competition.

Arsenal's goalkeeper, Aaron Ramsdale, is currently Giorgi's main rival for the Magpies' goal. The Gunner's goalkeeper has asked to come off as a substitute and, if Mamardashvili is the club's bet, coach Eddie Howe's is Ramsdale . Howe had Ramsdale under him at Bournemouth , he was the coach who opted for him and, now, his paths can come together again.

The starting price set will be transcendental, since it can tip the balance on one side or the other. For Giorgi, Valencia expects no less than 35 million, while in England they point out that Arsenal expects not to lose money if they sell Ramsdale (they paid 30 million) , so they are at similar figures. There are two extra factors to take into account: Valencia is in no rush to sell this summer (although they are obliged to do so), and Giorgi only wants to go to a place with little competition... And in Newcastle, even though he would be a starter , there's Nick Pope .

It is not the first time that a Newcastle scout has been to Mestalla, as during this campaign they have come regularly. The English team showed interest in Javi Guerra at the beginning of the season and, in fact, they were also at Mestalla in the match against Alavés a couple of weeks ago. In that match, Mamardashvili did not play, so his presence in the stadium transcended Giorgi himself.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Apologies if this is linked to yesterday's article.

A scout from the English team was against Rayo. Aaron Ramsdale is his great competitor for the 'Magpies' goal.

Giorgi Mamardashvili's display last Sunday against Rayo Vallecano, which literally left referees and rivals freaking out, was witnessed by Newcastle United . A scout from the British team went to Mestalla to continue monitoring the Georgian , something they have done more times this campaign, even when Valencia CF was playing as a visitor, as they also went to El Sadar to watch the match.

As Relevo reported, there are many clubs that have expressed interest in Mamardashvili, although the only one that has spoken with him personally and has taken a real step to incorporate him has been Newcastle . The English team is clear that they are going to sign a 'top' goalkeeper this summer and in their casting of finalists is the name of Mamardashvili. Although he has competition.

Arsenal's goalkeeper, Aaron Ramsdale, is currently Giorgi's main rival for the Magpies' goal. The Gunner's goalkeeper has asked to come off as a substitute and, if Mamardashvili is the club's bet, coach Eddie Howe's is Ramsdale . Howe had Ramsdale under him at Bournemouth , he was the coach who opted for him and, now, his paths can come together again.

The starting price set will be transcendental, since it can tip the balance on one side or the other. For Giorgi, Valencia expects no less than 35 million, while in England they point out that Arsenal expects not to lose money if they sell Ramsdale (they paid 30 million) , so they are at similar figures. There are two extra factors to take into account: Valencia is in no rush to sell this summer (although they are obliged to do so), and Giorgi only wants to go to a place with little competition... And in Newcastle, even though he would be a starter , there's Nick Pope .

It is not the first time that a Newcastle scout has been to Mestalla, as during this campaign they have come regularly. The English team showed interest in Javi Guerra at the beginning of the season and, in fact, they were also at Mestalla in the match against Alavés a couple of weeks ago. In that match, Mamardashvili did not play, so his presence in the stadium transcended Giorgi himself.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952wafirxulag99hbnq44d