NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

And yet I'm not sure either of them take us to the level we want to be

Well Ramsdale was in a title race with Arsenal the season before, so there's that. Pope led a largely unfancied side into the top 4 unexpectedly as a part of the best defence in the league.

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

And yet I'm not sure either of them take us to the level we want to be

Just now, KaKa said:

Well Ramsdale was in a title race with Arsenal the season before, so there's that. Pope led a largely unfancied side into the top 4 unexpectedly as a part of the best defence in the league.

I can't keep up with people on here like. 

Apart from what KaKa says, I'm sure I've seen people on here, not unreasonably, suggest we could have 10 more points under our belts if Pope hadn't been injured. Ergo vying for a CL spot again. What level do we want to be at? 

3 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I can't keep up with people on here like. 

Apart from what KaKa says, I'm sure I've seen people on here, not unreasonably, suggest we could have 10 more points under our belts if Pope hadn't been injured. Ergo vying for a CL spot again. What level do we want to be at? 

I thought the goal was to win trophies

So I'm guessing we bring in Ramsdale for £15 million, sell Pope for about the same amount, and then use the amortisation to bring in a genuine top class first choice goalkeeper?

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

I thought the goal was to win trophies

Pope got us to a cup final though.

If he played in it we likely have a much better chance of winning it.

2 minutes ago, Gottlob said:

So I'm guessing we bring in Ramsdale for £15 million, sell Pope for about the same amount, and then use the amortisation to bring in a genuine top class first choice goalkeeper?

Pope isn't going anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Gottlob said:

I'm not sure why Ramsdale would come to be second choice

Bit surprised we're after any keeper this summer tbh. One that would expect to be first choice, anyway. Dubravka needs replacing but I don't think Pope does; he's a fantastic goalie. 

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Bit surprised we're after any keeper this summer tbh. One that would expect to be first choice, anyway. Dubravka needs replacing but I don't think Pope does; he's a fantastic goalie. 

Perhaps the medical staff ( :yao:) are worried about his shoulder?

I dont see Ramsdale as an upgrade on Pope by much, if at all apart from having better feet. Pope is better at other stuff and also seems stronger mentally. Feels like a sideway step and a bit of a waste of money imo. 

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I dont see Ramsdale as an upgrade on Pope by much, if at all apart from having better feet. Pope is better at other stuff and also seems stronger mentally. Feels like a sideway step and a bit of a waste of money imo. 

We're never getting that calibre of keeper at 26 years old for £15 million from anywhere else.

If this means having two goal keepers of this level to choose from it's pretty much a no brainer.

No more Dubravka. No more Karius.

Posted (edited)

Why is Romano acting ITK when he's directly quoting the player [emoji38]

Acting like he told Ramsdale himself what is going to happen.

TBF he rarely gets it wrong, apart from Pedro to us typically which would have been an incredible signing imo.

Edited by Scotty66

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

We're never getting that calibre of keeper at 26 years old for £15 million from anywhere else.

If this means having two goal keepers of this level to choose from it's pretty much a no brainer.

No more Dubravka. No more Karius.

Well, considering how many other areas we have I would much much rather spend that money on other positions unless we improve on Pope. Or pay a bit more if we MUST sign one now. I’m not against getting a better keeper in for say 30m or so, but I’m against spending 15-20m on someone who doesn’t really improve our 1st team. 

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Well, considering how many other areas we have I would much much rather spend that money on other positions unless we improve on Pope. Or pay a bit more if we MUST sign one now. I’m not against getting a better keeper in for say 30m or so, but I’m against spending 15-20m on someone who doesn’t really improve our 1st team. 

I doubt £15 million is going to affect our other business. It is a fair price for a top quality back up keeper, especially with our first choice coming off a big injury.

Spending £30 million on another keeper is far more likely to affect our other business though. No need for that if we can avoid it, which we can with this deal.

Pope and Ramsdale is a great pairing for the next couple of seasons. Once Pope's contract runs out in 2026, then we can look at where Ramsdale is and possibly look at bringing in an even better keeper then if other areas of the squad are in good shape.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I doubt £15 million is going to affect our other business. It is a fair price for a top quality back up keeper, especially with our first choice coming off a big injury.

Spending £30 million on another keeper is far more likely to affect our other business though. No need for that if we can avoid it, which we can with this deal.

Pope and Ramsdale is a great pairing for the next couple of seasons. Once Pope's contract runs out in 2026, then we can look at where Ramsdale is and possibly look at bringing in an even better keeper then if other areas of the squad are in good shape.

Of course even 15m “only” would also affect our other business, don’t be silly. I don’t mind spending money on a keeper but if we do it then let’s make sure that player really improves us too. Quality over quantity imo. 

Edited by Ikon

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Of course even 15m “only” would also affect our other business, don’t be silly. I don’t mind spending money on a keeper but if we do it then let’s make sure that player really improves us too. Quality over quantity imo. 

If the rumours of a 5 year contract are true then it’s only £3m per year (plus wages). Would only have a small impact IMO

44 minutes ago, Gottlob said:

So we are selling Pope for £5m more than what we paid for him despite his injury issues and being two years older?

1 minute ago, NWMag said:

If the rumours of a 5 year contract are true then it’s only £3m per year (plus wages). Would only have a small impact IMO

It’s not quite this simple. It doesn’t sound like a lot but it adds up on other running deals. It’s 3m less we can use on other deals per year. 

42 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah. Can’t see us spending £15m-£20m or more on a first choice keeper. Unless Pope’s shoulder is that much of a worry and we’re looking to move him on. No way we keep Pope if we spend that on another keeper.