NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Just now, Jack27 said:

Newcastle United will step up their search for a new goalkeeper, with Valencia’s Giorgi Mamardashvili a leading target.

The club have repeatedly watched the 23-year-old Georgian and the manager, Eddie Howe, is a big fan of the 6ft 6in goalkeeper.

Newcastle are keen to recruit a new goalkeeper in the summer who can challenge their first-choice No1, Nick Pope, 32.

They are aware of the spending limitations put on them by the Premier League’s Profitability and Sustainability Rules (PSR) and know that Mamardashvili’s price is likely to be about £35million.

He has impressed throughout this season for Rubén Baraja’s side, and has missed only one of Valencia’s La Liga games.

Newcastle also hope to finalise the signing of Bournemouth’s Lloyd Kelly this week. The 25-year-old

this is all that will load for me lol

Hope it happens. Valencia fans are proper gutted about him looking likely to leave. He has been very very good for them. I like that he has that bit of leadership in him as well. I read that A. Madrid want him too but they would have to get rid of Oblak first. 

Just now, Ikon said:

Hope it happens. Valencia fans are proper gutted about him looking likely to leave. He has been very very good for them. I like that he has that bit of leadership in him as well. I read that A. Madrid want him too but they would have to get rid of Oblak first. 

Is Ramsdale “ the smokescreen” ? [emoji38]

Just now, PauloGeordio said:

Is Ramsdale “ the smokescreen” ? [emoji38]

I very much hope so. Could also just be a lazy link to get clicks. Either way, I don’t want him, even for 20m or whatever. They can keep him or get money from elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I very much hope so. Could also just be a lazy link to get clicks. Either way, I don’t want him, even for 20m or whatever. They can keep him or get money from elsewhere. 

I’d be more excited by the Valencia  “unpronounceable” :lol:

Just think of the profit from shirt lettering going from Pope to Mamardashvili. I mean yeah, there's not going to be that many buying 'keeper tops, but still, enough to offset much of the fee probably.

I like the idea of strengthening the spine. Get a top class RW and strengthen the spine the best we can and it’s looking very good for next season. My gut feeling is that Eddie will be looking to sign a CM of some kind. I’d be surprised if we don’t despite being “stacked” in there. Getting another midfielder of some sorts doesn’t have to break the bank either to improve us over a whole season. Cannot underestimate the importance of a consistently strong quality central midfield to function properly overall over a season. 

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

I like the idea of strengthening the spine. Get a top class RW and strengthen the spine the best we can and it’s looking very good for next season. My gut feeling is that Eddie will be looking to sign a CM of some kind. I’d be surprised if we don’t despite being “stacked” in there. Getting another midfielder of some sorts doesn’t have to break the bank either to improve us over a whole season. Cannot underestimate the importance of a consistently strong quality central midfield to function properly overall over a season. 

This 1000% (re the CM bit in particular) - we may be stacked but there’s a clear gap between the top 3 and the others - a fully fit Willock is good but the profile of midfielder we need is a ball playing type - we get one in and this team is looking far better 

Mamar-dash-vili

easier to say and remember when it's broken down. :milner:

I've good vibes about this link. I don't mind Ramsdale but this is a level above. 

Posted (edited)

When it all washes out, I'd rather have a great shot stopper that is okay with their feet rather than an okay shot stopper who is great with their feet. Ten times out of ten.

Edited by cubaricho

Just now, cubaricho said:

When it all washes out, I'd rather have a great shot stopper that is okay with their feet rather than an okay shot stopper who is great with their feet. Ten times out of ten.

A keeper who barely saves owt but who can ping a lovely ball is kind of like that old Brendan Rodgers "but we won the passing" meme.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Pilko said:

A keeper who barely saves owt but who can ping a lovely ball is kind of like that old Brendan Rodgers "but we won the passing" meme.

Agreed.

I think with that kind of keeper you end up with an Onana or a Pickford, and a negative goal difference.

Edited by cubaricho

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ikon said:

Agree with all of that. Joelinton and Tonali being out has affected this across the season obviously but even with them we haven't really been able to impose control in away games which mainly comes from midfield. Managing games by keeping the ball for periods when not losing for example. Thinking of Brighton, Milan, West Ham mainly the ones springing to mind. Even though its harsh including it, Man City as well. They had played in the Super Cup in Greece the midweek prior to us playing them on Saturday and whilst we had 41% possession, a lot for a team away there, we did absolutely nothing with it. Didn't create a single clear chance in 90 minutes if I remember. If we want to become a real top side, that has to improve. Its been huge part of Arteta's improvement of Arsenal in the last couple seasons.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

I know we're not going to come out and say we're replacing our current #1, but I do find it interesting how we're framing the GK search as competition. I assumed we'd either do:

A) Buy a younger, clear backup with a similar style to Pope (or even better with feet)

B) Buy an outright replacement 

But an option C seems to at least be on the table.

3 hours ago, BermyToon said:

I was a keen follower of Armstrong's development, but he doesn't seem cut for the Premier League.

Agreed, he’s 2nd choice at best for a poor team at this level. As a 3rd striker who checks the “homegrown” box was my thinking. 

Guessing the Play-Off Final could be a big moment as to whether we get a fee for Fraser and get him off the books completely, or end up having to loan him out again and pay a chunk of his wages until his contract expires? Could be worth £8-10m to us in fees and not having to pay his wages if Southampton go up.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Dokko said:

Rather have a keeper who can make saves over passing the ball. We've 10 other players who can pass, but only one person who can make a save.

I know it's not that simple, but being a good keeper is more important than being a good footballer. If you're both, then you are elite. 

Only problem, as we move forward and want to compete at the top, your goalkeeper HAS to be able to play football. The goalkeeper is an extra outfield player so you can move one of the defenders into the middle, have three spread across the back with the goalkeeper as the 4th. It’s then more passing angles to move opposition around, retain possession and bypass the press.

We’ve seen it far too often this season, our back line is a flat 4, where ball gets shifted to one side or other and clipped down the line, possession lost, or that’s not on so goes back to goalkeeper who then punts it long, possession lost. 

Edited by Sibierski

52 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Guessing the Play-Off Final could be a big moment as to whether we get a fee for Fraser and get him off the books completely, or end up having to loan him out again and pay a chunk of his wages until his contract expires? Could be worth £8-10m to us in fees and not having to pay his wages if Southampton go up.

Do we have any clues if any sort of mandatory transfer is included in the loan?