NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

This is pure speculation but I reckon we've got around 80m to play with, meaning we started the window with somewhere in the region of 140m (feels about right to me), with these positions prioritised:

CM (Tonali 60m)

RW/LW/ Flexible attacker (Barnes 35/40m)

LB (Tierney 30m?)

CB ( Andersen 40m?)

Had Szlob or Diaby been available for 50m, we would have pushed the boat out. Signing Barnes would leave 40m for two positions. Perhaps a LB and a CB might be one step too far in this window but we might be able to get one position nailed down.

Alternatively we could sell ASM to raise funds, or Lascelles will go and replenish us somewhat but I certainly feel like this is where we are at.

This window was always about strength in depth. If we end the window with 4 quality additions, we've done really well.

If we’re looking for a cheap, attacking but defensively solid, LB this window, I keep thinking about Gerardo Arteaga who plays for Gent and also is the starting LB for Mexico. 

He could be a really astute signing. 

1 minute ago, astraguy said:

Badly need to sort the defence out with Europe this season 

Badly need to sort the defence out? We’ve just come off a season where we conceded the fewest goals in the whole league (joint with the league winners, and a margin of 10 less goals than the next best team).

8 minutes ago, astraguy said:

Badly need to sort the defence out with Europe this season 

I actually agree with this think there we’re signs towards end of the season that teams were targeting Burn. 

If we want to play a high line against top teams you also need pace, think back to Liverpool at home and thought Rashford roasted us a few times at Wembley to name just 2 occasions.

I presume he means that our defence is stretched thin. Removing the chaff:

LB: Burn, Targett

LCB: Botman, Burn

RCB: Schar, Lascelles

RB: Trippier, Krafth

For me, Lascelles sticks out like a sore thumb. I can just about deal with Krafth or Targett playing, provided that our other defenders are available but when you start taking out 2 players, it becomes a bit chronic back there.

Let's imagine we had the luxury it signing 3 new defenders:

LB: Tierney, Targett

RCB: Schar, Andersen

RB: Trippier, Livramento 

Now your talking. ;)

Never underestimate the impact a quality full back can have on a team.

The 2 most stand out examples in our recent history are John Beresford and Trippier, completely transformed the team.

Now if you added one of the Milan left backs to our team, I think we’d have a completely new dimension to our play next season.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

I presume he means that our defence is stretched thin. Removing the chaff:

LB: Burn, Targett

RCB: Schar, Lascelles

RB: Trippier, Krafth

For me, Lascelles sticks out like a sore thumb. I can just about deal with Krafth or Targett playing, provided that our other defenders are available but when you start taking out 2 players, it becomes a bit chronic back there.

Let's imagine we had the luxury it signing 3 new defenders:

LB: Tierney, Targett

RCB: Schar, Andersen

RB: Trippier, Livramento 

Now your talking. ;)

You mean play Dummett in midfield? 😏

Just now, gbandit said:

Apart from Tierney, which has gone cold, who else have we been solidly linked with at LB?

Nobody. Which is odd. You'd almost think we weren't looking at left backs. Yet we were linked with Livramento.

Sometimes I wonder if the players we'd like, just aren't available. 

I mean, there's nothing you can do if the quality you want just isn't out there.

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Apart from Tierney, which has gone cold, who else have we been solidly linked with at LB?

Nope, although I think the Tierney link will resurface now that Arsenal are looking to sell players.

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Maehle & Federico Dimarco

Edited by Toon88

I’m sure there must be a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes to do with a LB. It’s the clearest position to upgrade given we have barely any tactical options there. We either have Burn who’s solid defensively but terrible at carrying the ball and completely unsuited to making deep runs. Or, Targett who’s good defensively and will make overlapping runs and put in good crosses but again can’t carry the ball. I’d be genuinely amazed if we aren’t looking at players who can both bring the ball forward comfortably and also make deep overlapping runs 

29 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Badly need to sort the defence out? We’ve just come off a season where we conceded the fewest goals in the whole league (joint with the league winners, and a margin of 10 less goals than the next best team).

Schar/botman etc can't be playing every Wednesday and Sunday all season

Just now, astraguy said:

Schar/botman etc can't be playing every Wednesday and Sunday all season

Agreed that we need some quality cover for injuries and suspensions, but “badly need to sort the defence out” was maybe worded incorrectly? 

3 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Agreed that we need some quality cover for injuries and suspensions, but “badly need to sort the defence out” was maybe worded incorrectly? 

No if either of them get injured we are fucked, we had the joint best defence yes but look at man city's cover to ours 

If the Barnes reporting is true I'll be very interested to see if that's the only winger we bring in.

Reports were that we wanted a versatile forward and he's really not that.

My gut says it's gonna be ASM out and Barnes in, straight swap of out and out LW players that opens up some wiggle room this season in terms of FFP.

However, we really don't know. Still holding out hope for Chiesa at RW.

2 minutes ago, astraguy said:

No if either of them get injured we are fucked, we had the joint best defence yes but look at man city's cover to ours 

I think that having “cover” isn’t the same as “badly need to sort the defence out”. But I understand your point. 

1 minute ago, Shak said:

If the Barnes reporting is true I'll be very interested to see if that's the only winger we bring in.

Reports were that we wanted a versatile forward and he's really not that.

My gut says it's gonna be ASM out and Barnes in, straight swap of out and out LW players that opens up some wiggle room this season in terms of FFP.

However, we really don't know. Still holding out hope for Chiesa at RW.

I’d say we’d get more back from Saudi than we spend on Barnes. Might allow some flex on an incoming RCB, LB or RW.

There’s a degree of pragmatism with our business, in no small part due to FFP but also because we’re way ahead of expectations on the field.

I get the impression we’d much rather do the deal that works for us - even if it’s not necessarily one of the ‘problem’ positions - than buy someone we’re not convinced about to plug a gap.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t get a CB or a LB this window, just because there might not be a deal to be done that makes sense. We’ll just have to wait and see.