NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

20 hours ago, KaKa said:

Just had another look at Nico Williams fbref for a reminder and the defensive numbers check out. Makes a ton of sense. Very well suited to our pressing game, which Moussa Diaby's defensive numbers didn't line up with.

STOP.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I’d still be surprised if he went tbh, we would immediately be short at the back again.

I think we can get by without him BUT we need a good fee for him and preferably a Centre half in after him imo. 

Fulham would have got Targett if they had agreed to a loan with an obligation to buy. Can only assume they weren't convinced on him as a long term buy and just wanted the loan deal for a year.

With Hall being so young, and Howe often ensuring new players are up to speed before integrating them into the team, I think it'd be a risk to move Target on just now.

Post injury, he hadn't seemed the same player but often these things take time and matches, which is difficult if you can't get into the team.

I can actually see the argument for him going out on loan from our perspective if it's games he needs. Also, he did leave Villa because he wanted game-time, so depends if he's happy here.

Personally, I think he's a good defensive player who has been a bit unlucky to have lost his place through injury. Maybe a loan till Jan to give him games including a recall option if Burn picks up an injury.

And if Hall is first team ready and working out by then, then maybe Jan is the time for Target to go. Shame, but longer term you maybe wouldn't expect him to be here either way.

Don’t think there’s any chance we sell Targett. In no situation does Trippier play at LB and Livramento seems to be set on the right side as well.. it’ll be Burn and Targett/Hall on that side season.

On 25/08/2023 at 16:01, Yorkie said:

That's an interesting one. Obviously we need a better option than him if we're going to establish ourselves as real trophy hunters, and I do feel a bit nervous about the amount of game time he's probably going to get this season. However, he's obviously a crucial part of the dressing room and there'd be something incredibly nice to see him line up in a Champions League game for us. He deserves that moment for his absolutely brilliant service to the club. 

Seems a plausible link given their recruitment style and current CBs. Picked up Daniel Amartey on a free from Leicester this summer and appears to have gone straight in the team. 

Is he a crucial part of the dressing room though? He's club captain but it's always Tripps welcoming the new players to the club.  I'm not saying he's not an influence but crucial?  Way more to gain with him leaving than staying imo.

We would need Murphy or Miggy to go to facilitate a RW. Saw unsubstantiated rumours Luton were interested in Murphy a few days ago. Lascelles is an interesting one imo. Clearly valued by EH for his leadership behind the scenes but won't play much unless there are injuries and his contract is running out. This or January would be the last chance to get a decent fee. Could Forest be tempted once again?

With regards to our transfer business, I feel Hall and Livramento were very opportunistic signings. Like our recruitment team have them shortlisted as top young talents, but were unlikely to move for them unless specific circumstances transpired.

In both cases circumstances came to pass that enabled us to sign them - Chelsea’s FFP issues and Southampton’s relegation.

The cost to this is in the immediate-term is presumably we decided against signing a player on equivalent expenditure like Diaby (as an example), who could have provided a definitive lift in quality to the starting line-up.

I have full faith that both players will be a real asset to the club in the long-term, but they’re still nevertheless young lads who have relatively few top-flight appearances between them. These signings aren’t going to really solve our creativity issues either.

2 hours ago, et tu brute said:

I've said all summer we need more creativity in midfield to move to the next level. Can't see it happening now though and looking at today and last week, it may come back to haunt us. 

It showed in some games last season when teams parked the bus.

Would love another option on the RW.

Miggy gets too much grief on here but our options for the left are so much better than what we have on the right, another left footed RW would be a massive addition IMO.

Hasn't been much indication that it's a priority for us though, seems it'll be a CB if we make any more moves.

We're going for a CB if anyone I think. Losing Botman today was a reminder of how vital he is (first goal aside lol). 

Edit: Just watched a highlight reel of him and christ on a bike if he doesn't feel like someone describing Saint-Maximin with a dash less flair. 

Edited by Viana

2 minutes ago, Shak said:

Miggy gets too much grief on here but our options for the left are so much better than what we have on the right, another left footed RW would be a massive addition IMO.

Hasn't been much indication that it's a priority for us though, seems it'll be a CB if we make any more moves.

Tbh, it'd even be nice to try something different there with the current options. 

Was canny surprised Murphy didn't come on.

1 hour ago, Shak said:

Chiesa. And we’re storming for the title. 

Edited by Kanji