NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

13 hours ago, The Prophet said:

We need players who are better with the ball at their feet, but they don't necessarily need to be playmakers.

Where are you drawing the line?

I think we need another player that can make line-breaking passes & create. I don't want another type like Werner. We've got 4 players that can score off scraps and good finishes when everyone is fit. Gordon, Barnes, Isak, Wilson. What does Werner bring that those lads don't?

IMO we need someone in the Cole Palmer, Maddison, Dom Szob mould. A passer and a creator. Maybe we get 2 players for those 2 things. A Neves type (passer) and a Neto type (a creator) but the all in one is best.

13 hours ago, STM said:

1. RW/Versatile forward player. For me whoever this is needs to be elite and ready to go. Even as good as Gordon has been, I want someone with experience, pedigree and quality. I also want someone who doesn't need Trippier to hold their hand from RB.

2. CB. Find another Botman. Easier said than done. This would allow us to rotate between Schar, Botman and a new CB, with Lascelles there as a more than useful back up.

3. DM. I know some want a "proper DM" who goes around smashing opposition players up but not for me. We just need someone who can take the weight off Bruno and can offer us the option of moving Bruno forward. This is what we are missing in our CL games. I don't want us to lose anything with regards to our ball retention because we've signed a bruiser. Palhinha, Neves or Caqueret, if we want a younger option. In this scenario, we might have to think about giving both Miley and Anderson loan moves.

We really need that. Lascelles has been top. But a side that is serious about playing European football regularly needs 3 first-choice CBs. You can't afford a dip in quality at CB due to 1 injury. We have that. Lascelles is good money at 4th.

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Where are you drawing the line?

I think we need another player that can make line-breaking passes & create. I don't want another type like Werner. We've got 4 players that can score off scraps and good finishes when everyone is fit. Gordon, Barnes, Isak, Wilson. What does Werner bring that those lads don't?

IMO we need someone in the Cole Palmer, Maddison, Dom Szob mould. A passer and a creator. Maybe we get 2 players for those 2 things. A Neves type (passer) and a Neto type (a creator) but the all in one is best.

We really need that. Lascelles has been top. But a side that is serious about playing European football regularly needs 3 first-choice CBs. You can't afford a dip in quality at CB due to 1 injury. We have that. Lascelles is good money at 4th.

Our creativity problems are overstated. Our xG this season remains consistently high, but I'd argue this season we've been more clinical. If you look at the games we struggled against low blocks last season, a lot of them were a case of fluffing the finish or making the wrong decision as opposed to creating the opening.

I do agree we need players who have more quality with the ball at their feet though. Longstaff, Joelinton, Almiron and even Gordon are very useful players who've contributed immensely over the last two years, but they're all limited in possession. That's up to four of our first choice front six and it often shows in the chaotic nature of our attack. We need to be able to exert more control in that regard.

10 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Our creativity problems are overstated. Our xG this season remains consistently high, but I'd argue this season we've been more clinical. If you look at the games we struggled against low blocks last season, a lot of them were a case of fluffing the finish or making the wrong decision as opposed to creating the opening.

I do agree we need players who have more quality with the ball at their feet though. Longstaff, Joelinton, Almiron and even Gordon are very useful players who've contributed immensely over the last two years, but they're all limited in possession. That's up to four of our first choice front six and it often shows in the chaotic nature of our attack. We need to be able to exert more control in that regard.

I agree with this fully. We can blow teams away. Literally - blow the hinges and collapse the whole building with our power. When it works, we can run up the numbers both in Xg and actual goals because we have finishers now too.

That takes a lot of effort, physically and mentally. Those lads that you mention - have been great for us - but it's a lot of hard-running to win matches. Without Bruno & Isak our play lacks the craftsmanship of a typical top side.

Interestingly, I think Gordon has reversed some of his previous trends. From memory, he was a pretty shy dribbler when at Everton other than obvious transitions and wasn't very successful at it - now, I believe he's right up there for volume and efficiency.

Edit: I do think he's been a bit one dimensional with his dribbling over the last few games though. Turning inside almost always. 

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

Completely agree, he doesn’t beat a man down the line with trickery but he beats his man by cutting inside with his pace and close control. He’s clearly never going to be an elite dribbler and the signs aren’t there that he’s going to beat his man down the line and fizz crosses in but I do think we’ll see a lot of him cutting inside and getting shots off or cutting it across the 20 yard box to a free man 

21 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Wouldn't say Gordon is limited in possession mind, his technique is excellent. 

image.thumb.png.a79ac48f7610d0b2435cd0926402fe50.png

This is based on this season in the PL.

He's a very safe passer but not a creative or progressive passer. Doesn't make a lot of passes in general.

He's perhaps improved as a dribbler but for a PL winger, he's bang average at it. That's fine, we knew that.

He seems to be sniffing chances out and taking them. He should continue his very good goalscoring form.

12 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Completely agree, he doesn’t beat a man down the line with trickery but he beats his man by cutting inside with his pace and close control. He’s clearly never going to be an elite dribbler and the signs aren’t there that he’s going to beat his man down the line and fizz crosses in but I do think we’ll see a lot of him cutting inside and getting shots off or cutting it across the 20 yard box to a free man 

This is it. A little problem we have is we want to continue to pass the ball to someone else and eventually (a) Tripps or Bruno can find a cute ball to someone in space that can do damage or (b) Joelinton/Willock/Isak can glide/brutalise past someone to get into a dangerous position.

I'd like to see Gordon go on the outside a bit more and cross it with his left. He has that ability.

17 hours ago, STM said:

2. CB. Find another Botman. Easier said than done. This would allow us to rotate between Schar, Botman and a new CB, with Lascelles there as a more than useful back up.

A name that has been mentioned a while ago that has come up again recently is Botman's former teammate at Lille Tiago Djalo. Same age as Botman is, but a speedier more athletic player, and so complements Botman nicely. Contract is up in June of next year and we are being rumoured to move for him in January.

Just now, KaKa said:

A name that has been mentioned a while ago that has come up again recently is Botman's former teammate at Lille Tiago Djalo. Same age as Botman is, but a speedier more athletic player, and so complements Botman nicely. Contract is up in June of next year and we are being rumoured to move for him in January.

Currently injured as well 😂

Imperative we get the #6 role on Jan 1. Hopefully we we hear the deal has been agreed in principle in December and that it will go thru Jan 1. if we’re having this much of an issue with injuries we’re going to need someone to sit and protect the back line and let the 8s, wingers and CF do the pushing up. 

4 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Wouldn't say Gordon is limited in possession mind, his technique is excellent. 

Yeah but I agree on the other three. Joelinton, Longstaff and Almiron are good when we have our purples on the pitch, but without them they can't win matches on their own steam.

Just to save someone else counting them, but we play Liverpool at Anfield on Jan 1 and that's the eleventh (!!) game from now, Nov 16th. That's a lot of making do with who we have available.

After that, we have an FA Cup tie and Man City home for which Kalvin Phillips would be banned anyway.