NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

11 minutes ago, SteV said:

Won’t really make any difference to them if it’s not being backdated?

Obviously they still have the main issue that when any of these players they’ve put on 17 year contracts turn out to be shite, they’ll have a massive job on shifting them on.

Indeed, it makes zero difference to them. 

from what I read the spending they are doing isn’t meant to be a long term thing either, was meant to be an initial shot but given how it’s gotten them nowhere I wonder if that changes. 

The dodgy dealings from Abramovich day should see them in hot water anyways. 

Phillips I have only seen start twice this season, once away to us and once for England. Both times he looked miles off it physically. Obviously his fitness and sharpness could be improved but how long would it take and would we see the benefit of that before the season ends? 

Also he used to have bad injuries problems towards end of his time at Leeds. Feels highly likely that once he is playing week in week out, especially if he was being asked to play Howe's intense press, his body may let him down again.

Feels like there maybe would be better options out there for short term til the summer but wait and see. It's likely lazy made up journalism anyways.

Edited by alexf

1 hour ago, Smal said:

I've always been of the opinion that Bruno works really well as the "6" in our system (it's not really a 6) and that we don't need a defensive midfielder, but the more I think about it the more I think Phillips can do that role for us and allow Bruno to play as one of the outside centre mids/8s where and help give us a bit more technical security, control and maybe some extra creativity in there, all of which we really lack at times currently. 

Bruno's role is essentially to receive the ball from the centre halves when we have possession in the first phase and look to progress it or switch it. Out of possession he has to press high and run back as best he can once the press is beaten. We ask him to cover a lot of ground. Phillips is really well suited to the in possession role (though not as good at it as Bruno obvs), and arguably better suited to the out of possession part because he's more mobile than Bruno (when fit). Phillips, Bruno and one of Joelinton/Willock in midfield is a pretty good balance tbh and allows us to maintain our physical dominance. I like the idea of Phillips in there doing Bruno's current role, then having Bruno in midfield happy receiving the ball too. Those two picking out forward runs from Gordon/Miggy/Isak/Wilson/Joelinton/Willock, or switching it out to Trippier/Livramento sounds good to me. Longstaff and whichever of Willock/Joelinton isn't playing to come in as a sub/rotation too. Options! We need them!

The issue isn't that Phillips and Bruno are both "6's” rather that's the whole idea. Our midfield is fine as it is though a little short creatively. However resting Bruno simply isn't an option for us as we've seen when he's been out, but neither is asking him to play twice a week every week. That was the point of signing Tonali, a player that can theoretically play instead of and alongside Bruno.

11 minutes ago, FCB said:

https://x.com/DigBickBotman/status/1734593406729408824?s=20

Wouldn't have mentioned it but comments suggest he's been right before.

The signing makes perfect sense, has a point to prove and if anyone can get him back to top form Howe can. I think our lack of a 6 type player is one of the reasons we’ve struggle away from home with teams playing through us far too easily. 

21 minutes ago, jackflap said:

The issue isn't that Phillips and Bruno are both "6's” rather that's the whole idea. Our midfield is fine as it is though a little short creatively. However resting Bruno simply isn't an option for us as we've seen when he's been out, but neither is asking him to play twice a week every week. That was the point of signing Tonali, a player that can theoretically play instead of and alongside Bruno.

I don't agree our midfield is fine as it is. At home yes, but not away.

We were completely overrun and cut apart at Brighton, Wolves, Everton and Spurs. It started from about 30 seconds into the game on Sunday. Even Everton ran straight through it whenever they wanted  

3 hours ago, 500bhp said:

I don't agree our midfield is fine as it is. At home yes, but not away.

We were completely overrun and cut apart at Brighton, Wolves, Everton and Spurs. It started from about 30 seconds into the game on Sunday. Even Everton ran straight through it whenever they wanted  

Not sure it was Neville who said it on Sunday but I also think the problem was not being able to keep the ball for any length of time.

I hate 433 when we are under the cosh as it never seems to revert to 451 and block those gaps and keep some retention 

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

1 hour ago, jackflap said:

Tonali was/is seen as one of Howe's hybrid 8s, where we valued, above anything, his out-of-possession talent. I think he was the wrong ID personally, and he's not in any way a Bruno replacement. 

If phillips is brought in, would love to see him and Bruno in a double pivot, big Joe and Gordon down the wings with Wilson Uptop and Isak playing behind him in a 10 role.

Think it would be a great balance of steel, athleticism, flair, workrate and goal scoring.

I think it’s extremely difficult to find the Bruno replacement but I agree Tonali was probably their plan B. The reason I think we might go for Philips is it’s another option in midfield to do something different especially away from home even if it’s just providing the back four with extra cover. You could quite easily have Philips or another more defensive midfielder sitting and then Bruno plus one other providing the more creative, attacking side of things.