NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

With the emergence of Miley I’d be happy to take a pass on Phillips on loan, especially if it meant having to purchase him permanently in the summer.

If we’ve got any spare cash in January it’s a forward player we need and Viktor Gyokeres would be the perfect fit for us.

2 minutes ago, nufc4eva said:

I do think we need someone to sit more in that 3 as often when we lose the ball high up there's huge gaps in midfield so having someone a bit deeper might help recover ball/defend when teams hit us on counter

Should be all over Manu Kone for that role, he’d bring a completely different option to what we’ve currently got.

10 hours ago, nufc4eva said:

I do think we need someone to sit more in that 3 as often when we lose the ball high up there's huge gaps in midfield so having someone a bit deeper might help recover ball/defend when teams hit us on counter

Definitely agree and I think someone could come in for that role but whether it’s Jan or summer is the question (though they may see Tonali as an option for that next season). We really do need another striking option urgently too. Feels like we could do with someone in the final 3rd to give us a bit of a lift, RW or striker if we could get them. I still wouldn’t be surprised if someone comes in in midfield too though. Botmans fitness will probably influence January heavily too. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

11 hours ago, clintdempsey said:

Gyokeres would be good. Full of running, great presser and a nose for a goal. Plus - another Swede, what’s not to like? Him and Roony Bardaghji and I’d be a happy camper. 

Time to buy him would've been in the summer. Easily cost £50m now 

5 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Expensive. 

Gyokores should have been a target in the summer makes the Barnes deal all the more baffling to me. Barnes isn’t known for pressing, or his all round play and we didn’t need a left winger as a priority.

Gyokeres would have been a great buy at the price Sporting paid, I’m hoping this new Dutch super scout has real clout in targets going forward as the summer apart from Tino was poor to say the least.

The Feyenord loanee seemed good business and is progressing nicely.

A few more of these would be great.

In January if we have barnes, willock, anderson back I would go all out for a striker, wouldn't make that much sense for a midfielder (unless Phillips really can be a loan deal with option to buy or not buy).

A right winger and cemtre back could also be useful

8 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Gyokores should have been a target in the summer makes the Barnes deal all the more baffling to me. Barnes isn’t known for pressing, or his all round play and we didn’t need a left winger as a priority.

Gyokeres would have been a great buy at the price Sporting paid, I’m hoping this new Dutch super scout has real clout in targets going forward as the summer apart from Tino was poor to say the least.

We made three big singings in the summer - two have hardly played and the third already looks class.

As for "we didn't need a left winger", I think we really could have done with a (fit) left winger over the past couple of months...

17 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I don’t have an issue with the Barnes deal, he’s been really unlucky with this injury, I think he’ll do really well and Gordon can shift over to the right at times. Gordon needs cover too. We absolutely need a new RW next summer though. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

18 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I don’t have an issue with the Barnes deal, he’s been really unlucky with this injury, I think he’ll do really well and Gordon can shift over to the right at times. Gordon needs cover too. We absolutely need a new RW next summer though. 

I agree Gordon could do a job on right, however everything I’ve seen so far suggests Howe likes inverted wingers which makes me doubt this was his plan.

I've been back and forth over what I'd want and what I think would benefit us the most.

I can't accept that we need a centre midfielder, we've actually coped quite well in midfield considering injuries, discovered a star in Miley and are likely to have bloated midfield when players return. A loan, perhaps but it certainly isn't a priority IMO.

Centre back I'm 50/50, of course long term we need another top quality centre back, the same with CM but Lascelles has done really well, Botman is returning, hopefully Schar is OK and the form of Livramento means that Burn is also an option back there. So again, I'm not saying I'd turn my nose up but...

IMO, an attacking RW is what I think is the most important. Both Murphy and Miggy have their charm but also have their limitations. We need a door opener in that position. Someone in the mould of Kudus (not him, just an example), someone who gets the fans off their feet a bit. Sometimes you need Miggy and his pressing abilities to get hold of a game but sometimes, once possession is yours, you need someone who has a bit of power, pace, trickery, confidence on the ball.

I think a big signing like this would lift the place a touch and ignite our top 4/6 push. We rely too much on the same characters to get us through games, namely Trippier and Bruno.

11 minutes ago, STM said:

I've been back and forth over what I'd want and what I think would benefit us the most.

I can't accept that we need a centre midfielder, we've actually coped quite well in midfield considering injuries, discovered a star in Miley and are likely to have bloated midfield when players return. A loan, perhaps but it certainly isn't a priority IMO.

Centre back I'm 50/50, of course long term we need another top quality centre back, the same with CM but Lascelles has done really well, Botman is returning, hopefully Schar is OK and the form of Livramento means that Burn is also an option back there. So again, I'm not saying I'd turn my nose up but...

IMO, an attacking RW is what I think is the most important. Both Murphy and Miggy have their charm but also have their limitations. We need a door opener in that position. Someone in the mould of Kudus (not him, just an example), someone who gets the fans off their feet a bit. Sometimes you need Miggy and his pressing abilities to get hold of a game but sometimes, once possession is yours, you need someone who has a bit of power, pace, trickery, confidence on the ball.

I think a big signing like this would lift the place a touch and ignite our top 4/6 push. We rely too much on the same characters to get us through games, namely Trippier and Bruno.

Spot on. We defo need a match winner on the right, someone to nab a goal in a tight game or create an opening. Plus if you’ve got someone out there who can create it opens up space for the strikers. Let’s be honest it’s rare that Miggy ever does that so teams can plan fairly effectively to deal with him and Murphy for that matter. Yes Miggy is very effective in certain situations, presses and defends well but he isn’t that clinical and isn’t going to scare defences. Agree on the other option to Bruno factor too.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

9 minutes ago, STM said:

100%, think we need to dump some of that adidas money for someone immediate-impact

Can Chiesa play on the right?