NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

4 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

January seems to be for opportunistic signings. Everton needed to sell Gordon so we got the deal done, same with Bruno as Lyon were willing sellers.  Hopefully we have a target or two in a similar situation where we can get a deal done.  If we do 1 signing maximum 

Wouldn’t take maximim back under any circumstances- he’s scored about 3 in the Saudi league 

35 minutes ago, Mike said:

Being in sixth despite being shorthanded. Think we'll attempt to ride our luck after some of the injured players return.

Not a fan of it at all, but thats what I think will happen.

Agree here tbh. I think the ffp shadow and the fact we're now, a. only in two competitions and, b. Ahead of schedule in the dev plan and only likely to make EL or ECL make it more likely.

Will be surprised if we bring in more than one body

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Being in sixth despite being shorthanded. Think we'll attempt to ride our luck after some of the injured players return.

Not a fan of it at all, but thats what I think will happen.

I think that's what we did in the summer. We went with the opportunity of youth with Livramento and Hall, then jumped on Tonali and Barnes because the opportunity was there.

While you couldn't predict what's happened we have definitely been gambling a bit on Howe keeping players over acheiving and worst case scenario like it's approaching now is short term pain for long term FFP gain.

Still we have shown we won't panic and will hold course for the long term. I just think we are at a risky point where nearly half the squad have been out with the other half fatigued. We aren't gambling with top four now, we are gambling with top 8 and odds are the injury situation isn't going to turn around with the amount of gametime players have played and the intensity we play with. 

We need at least a couple more.

34 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I think that's what we did in the summer. We went with the opportunity of youth with Livramento and Hall, then jumped on Tonali and Barnes because the opportunity was there.

While you couldn't predict what's happened we have definitely been gambling a bit on Howe keeping players over acheiving and worst case scenario like it's approaching now is short term pain for long term FFP gain.

Still we have shown we won't panic and will hold course for the long term. I just think we are at a risky point where nearly half the squad have been out with the other half fatigued. We aren't gambling with top four now, we are gambling with top 8 and odds are the injury situation isn't going to turn around with the amount of gametime players have played and the intensity we play with. 

We need at least a couple more.

We have 3 games in January though and at then end of Jan could have 6/7 players back- so unless we buy 2 first team quality players that can start games from 1st Jan it might not make that much of a difference

Even after Jan we can have 19 games max ( if we made it to the final of the cup ) that’s easily navigationable with the squad we have 

23 minutes ago, tgarve said:

We have 3 games in January though and at then end of Jan could have 6/7 players back- so unless we buy 2 first team quality players that can start games from 1st Jan it might not make that much of a difference

Even after Jan we can have 19 games max ( if we made it to the final of the cup ) that’s easily navigationable with the squad we have 

I wouldn’t bank on 6-7 players being back by the end of January knowing our luck this season.

I certainly think we could do with a midfielder despite Miley’s rise but don’t think it’s a priority.

Our forward attacking options are poor compared to top 4 rivals, the fact where down to possibly just Almiron and Ritchie this weekend and had to flog Gordon all season.

We desperately need some added fire power on the right side of the attack and creativity.

It doesn’t even have to be 60 million player this window, someone like this lad would just give us another option where we don’t need to rely on fucking Matt Ritchie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjNi8EyLBCw

I'm hopeful of a signing or two but wouldn't be at all surprised if there's none. So far it feels like all our signings are carefully considered and not reactionary. We were in a similar situation last season when we let Shelvey go yet we powered through. The fact as well that none of the absentees are season ending* and the workload will significantly decrease after the New Year makes me think they may not consider it worth it. Personally if Phillips is available and willing on a strictly loan basis I'd do it primsrily as insurance cover for Bruno. Any sort of extended absence for him is unbearable to think of and Phillips fits the mould better than our current players to alleviate that.

Edited by jackflap

Kalvin Phillips looking for a team that plays him. after sitting on the bench 99.9% of City games last 1.5 year he will want some guaranteed game time.

City probably wants a permanent sale or at least a mandatory buy option in the summer.

dont think we will touch him for these reasons.

6 hours ago, BShearer said:

Kalvin Phillips looking for a team that plays him. after sitting on the bench 99.9% of City games last 1.5 year he will want some guaranteed game time.

City probably wants a permanent sale or at least a mandatory buy option in the summer.

dont think we will touch him for these reasons.

Fingers crossed don’t think he’s the answer and worries me we’d even be considering him.

Signings like this are a massive change of course, big club reject on massive wages. Hope we stick to our hungry young player model of Bruno, Botman, Gordon and Isak types.

20 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Rumours are City won’t sanction a loan without an obligation to buy. Hopefully that rules us out.

Yeah I think this will probably end any chance of this. I think he’d be very useful second half of the season and could be a great signing but it’s still unclear how good he’ll be with fitness and lack of games. So having to sign him in the summer after a loan period given we have Tonali (and probably have other targets in mind too) probably signals the end of this. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Rightly or wrongly Miley’s emergence might help avoid the need to splurge on an expensive midfielder, obligation to buy or not. I’m with @Mike on this, I can see us making do for the rest of the season with the less strenuous game load. God forbid we lose on the 6th, it would leave us with some two week periods free of games.

21 minutes ago, ToonAbroad said:

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1738121349611024890 < Fog on the Tyne?

Only sharing because I vaguely recall there were some rumours we were interested at the back end of last season.

Not sure an elderly mad man from Naples is familiar with fog on the tyne lol. Imagine that's a hint at a London club. 

I'm the opposite. I've seen half a dozen pre and post match pressers where Howe has said something along the lines of "we didn't have any attacking options to bring on from the bench".

He's not normally brazen with comments, its clearly something of a frustration. Yes I think we will have to take into account returning absentees but I'd be shocked if we didn't try and sign an attacking player.

I also think the constant injuries with Wilson and Isak may come to a head. We can't keep hoping that one day both players are going to be available on a consistent basis. We need a plan B and Gordon isn't it.

Isak is a weird one. 

Previously not injury prone at all, then suffers a long term injury on arrival. 

This season he seems to keep reaggravating the same injury. 

Hard to tell if he's injury prone, his body isn't built for our high intensity football, or he's just been a bit unfortunate. 

10 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Isak is a weird one. 

Previously not injury prone at all, then suffers a long term injury on arrival. 

This season he seems to keep reaggravating the same injury. 

Hard to tell if he's injury prone, his body isn't built for our high intensity football, or he's just been a bit unfortunate. 

He’s not been helped in a way by having Wilson as the other option (not a dig on Wilson ability). By that I mean we can’t really rotate him effectively. 

Edited by SUPERTOON

The style of football we play, on and off the ball, is going to lead to more injuries unfortunately. High intensity/high pressure when we don't have possession. I wince every time I see Wilson/Isak chasing after the ball, expecting them to pull up :lol: