NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

12 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Selling Bruno would be like when we sold Cabaye and used Colback as his replacement.

It would be worse, at least we could win a game without Cabaye, we’re incapable of winning without Bruno 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

That’s the thing, unless you believe we can do a Brighton-style recruitment of loads or cheap but class lads. 

They also spent over £20M on their academy and first team training facilities to develop their own talent and they have some very promising players coming through... 

4 minutes ago, Dan Gleebals said:

They also spent over £20M on their academy and first team training facilities to develop their own talent and they have some very promising players coming through... 

Last u21 team standing in the EFL Trophy after they won and Wist Ham got ko’d by Wycombe. They beat a near full strength Reading team last night to go into the quarter finals.

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

Selling Bruno would be like when we sold Cabaye and used Colback as his replacement.

53 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

It would be worse, at least we could win a game without Cabaye, we’re incapable of winning without Bruno 

Except it wouldn’t be anything like it at all

We’re going to sell players at some stage lads.  Just don’t give Eddie hassle on the SJP steps when we do ;) 

This is the problem with selling these bunch of lads. They are all great and sooner or later my heart will be broken. If Bruno or Isak/Botman gets sold I'll be absolutely devastated.

We as fans just have to accept that under our current circumstances it’s highly likely at some point we do trade our most valuable assets, it’s how it has to be.

Bruno is the flag carrier for this team. The embodiment of the post-Ashley club. We should be doing everything we possibly can to keep hold of him. I’d let anyone go before him, including Isak, as I think his attitude and determination would be harder to replace.

I love Bruno, like he's one of my favourite players of all time. But if he left in the Summer we'd have another 100m to spend on top of what the budget was already. And have a fully fit and up to speed Tonali ready to go. 

I'd only handle Bruno going if he got his dream move to Real Madrid or Barca. I'd be heartbroken seeing him against us for Man City or whoever. It's not just his quality, like Novocastrian says he's the embodiment of post-Ashley - his big lovely smile and our new hope go hand in hand.

6 hours ago, Nucasol said:

Given Lee Charnley’s remit was bean counting this is one area where we may have actually spent money. Then again, Sports Direct had the firmest hand on the tiller so it was likely some £25k a year analyst’s spreadsheet, formulas and vlookups pinning the whole thing together. Waiting for the first FFP EUCA fuck up to work it’s way into the paper.

I've seen several FTSE 250 company's  finances and budgets glued together by manual spreadsheets and vlookups.

They just upload the resulting spreadsheet into some flashy web based portal for the front end reports and the CEO and investors assume everything in finance is high tech and cutting edge. 

43 minutes ago, Nine said:

We as fans just have to accept that under our current circumstances it’s highly likely at some point we do trade our most valuable assets, it’s how it has to be.

It's ridiculous that we are allegedly the richest club in the world and we have to sell players we don't want to in order to fund investment to reflect our our actual buying power. I can't think of any other industry where you have to perform such financial gymnastics just to keep less wealthy competitors happy.

3 minutes ago, jack j said:

5 transfer windows into the new ownership and most the discussion is on who we need to sell so we can buy

Fuck ffp

I do feel like we're getting close to a tipping point of it being ammended. Us being the richest club in the world yet unable to spend has really shone a spotlight, but there are others as well. Villa, West Ham etc all with owners happy to spend, but unable to. It's becoming clearer and clearer that a big part of it is actually in place to protect established clubs. 

I think a good way to enforce it would be to clubs to break FFP, but with the proviso that whatever amount they break it by, the same amount must be placed into a holding trust for a designated period of time, say 10 years. The money in said trust gets released back to the club if it changes hands. Meaning owners can prove they're happy to offer some assurance that they're either not going to leave a club high and dry, or if they do they have been made to put aside money themselves to help with the running of the club after they leave. 

FFP only makes sense when it is stopping unsustainable investment in the team, i.e., speculating with the club's viability as a club that has traditions simply to get short-term success. Its not about "fairness", such as a salary cap or something that would actually level the playing field between all 20 participants in the Premier League.

FFP does not say Liverpool and Manchester United aren't allowed to continue profiting from historic success. If anything FFP ensures those clubs will be able to pay higher wages than anyone else. It enshrines unfairness.

It is what it is.

Nobody wants us to sell Bruno. His technical ability and control in the midfield would be sorely missed.

However he has a release clause, one that is high enough that only the top clubs could afford. There’s very little we can do to prevent him leaving if one of those clubs chooses to trigger his clause. It’s just the reality of football. 

The key will be how funds are reinvested into the squad.

16 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I do feel like we're getting close to a tipping point of it being ammended. Us being the richest club in the world yet unable to spend has really shone a spotlight, but there are others as well. Villa, West Ham etc all with owners happy to spend, but unable to. It's becoming clearer and clearer that a big part of it is actually in place to protect established clubs. 

I think a good way to enforce it would be to clubs to break FFP, but with the proviso that whatever amount they break it by, the same amount must be placed into a holding trust for a designated period of time, say 10 years. The money in said trust gets released back to the club if it changes hands. Meaning owners can prove they're happy to offer some assurance that they're either not going to leave a club high and dry, or if they do they have been made to put aside money themselves to help with the running of the club after they leave. 

Is this true? They should both have decent wriggle room to invest considering their sale of academy assets.

It's Arsenal, Chelsea, Wolves & Man U that are close to the wall iirc. And only Man City in the division can fuel the transfer market. Spurs & Liverpool might have FFP headroom but their owners won't push the boat out on transfer fees.

It's Saudi and promoted clubs fuelling the transfer market.

7 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

It is what it is.

Nobody wants us to sell Bruno. His technical ability and control in the midfield would be sorely missed.

However he has a release clause, one that is high enough that only the top clubs could afford. There’s very little we can do to prevent him leaving if one of those clubs chooses to trigger his clause. It’s just the reality of football. 

The key will be how funds are reinvested into the squad.

Be gutted when/if this ever happens, but the cloob we are now would reinvest, not trouser the proceeds! Different gravy. Ultimately he’s our poster boy and I would love to see the team built around him and win things here until he retires :smitten:

You'd think the Saudi's are either going to start putting some pressure on and making some ultimatums, or get sick and sell.

Totally holding them back ridiculously.

8 minutes ago, Karjala said:

You'd think the Saudi's are either going to start putting some pressure on and making some ultimatums, or get sick and sell.

They knew exactly what they signed up for, so should be option 1 if any! 

8 minutes ago, Karjala said:

They knew this when they bought us. We ae in year 2 of a 10 year plan.

18 minutes ago, McCormick said:

50 odd at least, you’d imagine.

Doesn't seem worth it. By the summer his book value will still have a balance of 24m euros + his years wages. That unlocks one or two first-team signings at the Gordon fee level and wages.

He needs to sell for close to 70m for it to be worth it IMO. And maybe a further year into his contract to get his book value down.