NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

20 minutes ago, STM said:

Solanke would be a superb signing IMO. He's grown into a real quality PL striker.

He's not Isak levels obvs, but he's probably not far off Wilson, with the advantage that he's a bit of a unit, which is something we don't have in that area.

As always with these things, it depends on the price. 

I'm ambivalent on this one. I like him as a player, but he's only started scoring goals this season. I'd be wary of buying him when he's hit form and then finding he can't sustain it season after season.

Think of a similar scenario if we'd put Miggy for sale after he scored 11 goals last season. That would have been the biggest fee we would have commanded for him based on one blinding season.

16 minutes ago, STM said:

We ain't getting shit for Wilson, given his injury record and the length on his contract.

Although, I'm OK with that since he's one of the few players from the MA years who's actually repaid his transfer fee.

We got 15 million for Wood who was the same age as Wilson now, and while his injury record is a lot better, you'd still bet your house on Wilson scoring more goals and winning you more games over a season.

4 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Players Union would take a salary cap to court imo and would win, just like football agents did when they tried to cap fees.

in the early 60’s they had a maximum wage in football, Len Whie went to court and won, maximum wage was scrapped.

You could couple it with revenue sharing, so that a percentage of any revenue past a certain threshold goes into a pot, which is shared among the non-threshold teams, with an obligation to spend that money on player salaries. That way you could make it so the total amount spent on salaries would be roughly the same. You'd basically just be shifting a portion that spending from the top clubs to other clubs.

Again, it's not particularly realistic but there are ways you could engineer this if you wanted it to work.

I’d be looking at a hungry young striker from Europe. ‘Best in class’ in their age group. This signing doesn’t engender much enthusiasm from me, not for the money talked about. Almost 100% bollocks anyway.

Never been that impressed by Solanke. He's been good this season and I dont know his underlying numbers, but thats not enough for us to splash out I dont think. Though potentially he could be a good fit. Central midfield and right wing are more pressing areas at the moment imo. 

Not a Solanke fan I have to admit. Doesn’t excel in any of the basics that I look for mainly. Pace, strength, skill, finishing instinct. Heading. None of those spring to mind with him. I’m guessing however he’d pass the EH/JT no dickheads policy but that aside I think we’d be best served spending our money elsewhere. Wouldn’t be surprised if agent driven and is pushing for new contract whilst in the middle of his best form for a long time. 

Anyone know much about his current contract situation?

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Not a Solanke fan I have to admit. Doesn’t excel in any of the basics that I look for mainly. Pace, strength, skill, finishing instinct. Heading. None of those spring to mind with him. I’m guessing however he’d pass the EH/JT no dickheads policy but that aside I think we’d be best served spending our money elsewhere. Wouldn’t be surprised if agent driven and is pushing for new contract whilst in the middle of his best form for a long time. 

Anyone know much about his current contract situation?

Just signed a new 4 year contract in September

Just now, jack j said:

Just signed a new 4 year contract in September

👍🏻 Not agent driven then. Hopefully no more than an enquiry to use as a barometer against a potential other signing.

I see Wolves being linked to Ekitike.

Based on ability alone I feel Solanke would be a good signing. He's a natural replacement for Wilson with a better injury record. The issue is the fee it would take to get him, given the premium you'd pay as he has Premier League experience as well as his importance to a relegation threatened team, would mean you would significantly overpay for him. Given (sigh) FFP we're not in a position to say feck it and go for an overpriced but surer bet, do that and we'd never catch up.

I may be suffering from 'shiny new toy syndrome' but I'd rather we went for Guirassy, especially given the widely reported low release clause. Not saying he's better but I think he'd be good enough and allow money to be spent elsewhere where it is needed, even on another striker in the summer. I love the guy but I feel Wilson's days with the team are numbered.

Edited by Geordie_once_removed

6 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

So we simultaneously can't afford a £7m loan fee for Phillips and are making enquiries for a starting PL striker with four years left on his contract. 

Not sure it’s that straightforward, if we view Philips as a short term signing then 7 million would seem excessive. Whereas paying a fee for a long term target in Solanke would be seen as a good investment. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

An enquiry is a bit of a non-story. We probably ask about tens of players.

Aye, but at least it’s better than talking about selling Bruno and FFP for a while.

10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Aye, but at least it’s better than talking about selling Bruno and FFP for a while.

Oh I wasn't commenting on the discussion, that's natural. Just the article in general.

Wouldn't suprise me if we're keeping tabs on a number of strikers with the summer in mind.

Edited by The Prophet

I don’t really understand what the plan would be for Solanke. We play one striker and we have the best in the league outside Haaland. Solanke will be about £50m and like… we really, really need a right winger :lol:.

Edwards is always breaking a completely inaccurate story before we actually sign someone else though, so fingers crossed.

Solanke was a punchline until about two months ago. Would feel a long way from the Bruno/Botman/Isak transfer approach that I assumed was going to be our model going forward.