NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

26 minutes ago, Beth said:

Come on though, realitically what would we get for the players you mention. Wilson, almost 32 and always misses half a season through injury. Almiron, about to turn 30 and hardly a world beater. Longstaff, nice local lad but limited. You're looking at about £50m combined if you're lucky.

I think you’re massively underselling the fees they could fetch, but then you’re also conflating the fees brought in with the amount it would free up in FFP terms too.

£50m profit, potentially allows us to buy 3 or more £50m rated players on 5 year contracts as long as we're confident of being able to increase our commercial revenue.

Just now, Ikon said:

The wording often used makes me think “surely clubs have scouted their targets enough earlier”

Huge difference between scounts regularly watching players and the head of recruitment making a trip to watch now though

I don't think we'll sign anyone now and I'm kind of in three minds about whether I'm okay with that. 

On one hand, there's no danger of being anything lower than upper mid-table imo, getting a short term player in now could be detrimental to who we're able to sign in the summer, and it'll take a player a while to get up to speed anyway

vs

With Joelinton now being injured the opportunity to really push for Europe is threatened, so we need someone in

vs

Is it really that important that we get into Europe in some form next season and might we be better off being able to go fully balls to the wall in the league and domestic cups next season?

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Fezzle said:

Huge difference between scounts regularly watching players and the head of recruitment making a trip to watch now though

Aye, i was just saying what these tweets make it sound like, even though it’s obviously more to it than just that. 

23 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

We really need to win a few games, don’t we?! For the sanity of this place more than anything :lol: 

Obviously transfer window timing, but so much of this is because there‘s a bit of a break now. And I’m talking about me, whose team has done all right and bought somebody. If I supported you lot I’d have been in here posting more words than HTT.

Edited by leffe186

5 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Aye, i was just saying what these tweets make it sound like, even though it’s obviously more to it than just that. 

Thing is Douglas is basing it entirely on the SSN thing with Vickory, he no doubt hasnt a clue what we did

6 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Obviously transfer window timing, but so much of this is because there‘s a bit of a break now. And I’m talking about me, whose team has done all right and bought somebody. If I supported you lot I’d have been in here posting more words than HTT.

Oh yeah, it is always difficult during an international break or a week off for whatever reason.  But I think the negativity surrounding the club with the results, FFP, injuries etc.  It has sent people into a frenzy :lol:  

If this stuff about Phillips trying to get his loan fee down is true you really have to laugh at City. Full of money, cheated their way to bend the FFP rules, spent ludicrous money on players in the last decade to buy their trophies, but they are crying over a couple of million for a player who doesn't even get any game time for them. I can only assume he will go at some point late in the window for a lot less than the £6m fee being mentioned at the minute. 

34 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

I think you’re massively underselling the fees they could fetch, but then you’re also conflating the fees brought in with the amount it would free up in FFP terms too.

£50m profit, potentially allows us to buy 3 or more £50m rated players on 5 year contracts as long as we're confident of being able to increase our commercial revenue.

Really? I'd say 15 each for Wilson and Almiron and 20 for Longstaff is realistic based on age/ability and injury records. Your second point is valid.

10 minutes ago, toontownman said:

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1747589836352217233?s=20

Probably giggs'd this and it's already been posted. Having Miley more expensive than Gordon is certainly an interesting choice though. 

GD-uwORXIAAwwvZ.jpeg.thumb.jpg.82f4cbb37b5290fd57a5461e2418742f.jpg

Get in there Joe Willock 👏 

Reminds me how much we miss his dynamism. He definitely makes us better, hence why he's so high up the list.

Joe Willock is a massive talent but he’s injured so much.. there hasn’t been a season where he’s not coming back from something. It will eventually take its toll on his ability.

We’ve got a few sick notes in the squad at the moment.. from our longer term players that is. Wilson has his issues and Longstaff seems to be “unlucky” as well.

How many can a squad this small afford to carry? 

1 hour ago, Beth said:

Come on though, realitically what would we get for the players you mention. Wilson, almost 32 and always misses half a season through injury. Almiron, about to turn 30 and hardly a world beater. Longstaff, nice local lad but limited. You're looking at about £50m combined if you're lucky.

£50m combined would be enough at this stage of our trajectory.

£20 ASM got us Barnes Livramento.

I'd happily sell Willock, Miley and Almiron for £120m. It'd do us wonders getting around FFP, we'd actually really kick on with that. It would be a shame to lose Willock and Miley but Willocks injury problems are a massive concern and Miley is still unproven. There's no chance we get anything like those figures though.

Edited by Decky