NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think a fit Wilson is a better centre forward than Solanke tbh, but we definitely can’t go on with two injury prone CFs

Im not denying that Wilson was excellent last season and for us in seasons gone by but now I think the injuries are becoming far more common and he takes so much longer to get back to sharpness after them. 

I'll put it this way, I'd be far more pleased seeing Solanke go to the Euros as back up with England in the summer than I would Wilson. Not only because he can stay for but because I think he has moved onto another stage in his career this season and offers more all around than Wilson does.

The price tag for him is another discussion, because he's certainly not worth the £60M touted about in some places.

So glad we avoided Phillips.

Cost West Ham 2 goals and been sent off in 3 games :lol:

So far away from being match fit, be good enough for England though I'm sure.

37 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Solanke is having as good a season this campaign as Wilson ever has imo, maybe even better. Fantastic output and a grafter as well. Biggest worry with him is that it's an outlier.

Solanke's far more mobile than Wilson these days, but Wilson is a proven finisher. Not sure Solanke is yet.

24 minutes ago, TRon said:

Solanke's far more mobile than Wilson these days, but Wilson is a proven finisher. Not sure Solanke is yet.

On course to score more goals than Wilson ever has in the PL to be fair. He’s a better player. 

43 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

On course to score more goals than Wilson ever has in the PL to be fair. He’s a better player. 

He looks a better all round player for sure. But is he a one season wonder? Wilson whatever else his failings, you know for a fact if he's fit for the majority of a season he scores goals, every season.

I really like the look of Solanke. He's got similar attributes to Toney and I think there's room for improvement.

In terms of price. What's he going to set is back? 50m? While some might turn their noses up, that's standard fare for a good PL striker.

Ultimately, I believe in the TEAM but the team can't function if some of its players are made of paper.

1 minute ago, STM said:

I really like the look of Solanke. He's got similar attributes to Toney and I think there's room for improvement.

In terms of price. What's he going to set is back? 50m? While some might turn their noses up, that's standard fare for a good PL striker.

Ultimately, I believe in the TEAM but the team can't function if some of its players are made of paper.

60 million was the price quoted in January. 

2 minutes ago, STM said:

Solanke is a good player - sadly the Snglish tax means he is out of reach

FWIW I think we will go abroad 

J David 

Sesko

Gimenez

Zirkee

Gudmundsson

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

60 million was the price quoted in January. 

Hard pass at 60m. Not because he’s bad or anything it’s just way too much money for a guy who’s already 26 and has no experience playing at European level. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Hard pass at 60m. Not because he’s bad or anything it’s just way too much money for a guy who’s already 26 and has no experience playing at European level. 

Agree, from the bits I’ve seen, Sesko would be perfect. Probably similar price as well although I think he will have better offers.

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

While I see what Howe is trying to do, I still like the idea of a defensive midfielder, even if just to bring on late on or to change shape. 

Ideally someone who can retain and pass the ball - a lot of our issues with the back 5 stem from us losing the ball 

3 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Ideally someone who can retain and pass the ball - a lot of our issues with the back 5 stem from us losing the ball 

A lot of it comes from not closing off the passing channels which we were so good at last season. That's Willock and Joelinton out and Longstaff having to play on the left for  bit and having to try and nurse forwards through the game.

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

While I see what Howe is trying to do, I still like the idea of a defensive midfielder, even if just to bring on late on or to change shape. 

Agree, don’t think we sign a midfielder though unless we sell one.

We need a fairly decent overhaul in the summer because its clear as day now that our squad is really weak. There is obvious deadwood like Fraser who need to be moved on but we probably need to shift some players who are around the first team too. Wilson and Almiron are the two obvious candidates at the minute, Joelinton as well if he doesn't sign a new deal. 

With our budget and the added value from players sales we should be looking to get about 3 first-teamers and a few fringe players for rotation who are better than what we have now. We obviously need a RW, LB, CB, a new striker if Wilson goes and at least 2 new central midfielders depending who who leaves the club in that position, so there's a lot of work to get done. 

5 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I'd give no more than a cameo to both. 

No more than 5-10 mins for either. 

Happy to lose as them 2 back and fit will impact our season massively.  I'd like them to come back slow but stay fit.

They won't though, they might not start against Arsenal but you can guarantee they will have a lot of minutes quickly 

On 19/02/2024 at 01:51, Decky said:

We need a fairly decent overhaul in the summer because its clear as day now that our squad is really weak. There is obvious deadwood like Fraser who need to be moved on but we probably need to shift some players who are around the first team too. Wilson and Almiron are the two obvious candidates at the minute, Joelinton as well if he doesn't sign a new deal. 

With our budget and the added value from players sales we should be looking to get about 3 first-teamers and a few fringe players for rotation who are better than what we have now. We obviously need a RW, LB, CB, a new striker if Wilson goes and at least 2 new central midfielders depending who who leaves the club in that position, so there's a lot of work to get done. 

How many left backs do we need?  :) 

41 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

How many left backs do we need?  :) 

Can only assume we’re backing out of the Hall deal. If we’re not it’s truly bizarre why he isn’t being given time on the field. Targett isn’t really good enough. He’s decent like but if we have a new lb I don’t see the value in having both him and Burn at the club. Burn being able to cover at centre back as well puts him above Targett. Tino is filling a hole there when we see him, ideally next season he’d be rotating with Trippier. 

@rebelrouser was gonna reply to you too but this covers both replies.

Edited by Decky