NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

10 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Watching tonight I fail to see what someone like Onana would really add, where crying out for quality on the ball.

We need players who can receive between the lines. Players like Palmer or Sterling. Gordon and Almiron are not that, neither is Murphy or Barnes. We have no one who drifts to those pockets behind opposition midfield, perhaps Willock a bit.

11 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Watching tonight I fail to see what someone like Onana would really add, where crying out for quality on the ball.

Totally agree, need quality rather than physical units.

5 minutes ago, duo said:

We are crying out for a DM - we've no one to protect the back 4.

We don’t need an out and out DM, we need consistently fit and available options in midfield in general. 

We’ve been no where near our peak pressing ability for months due to limited availability in midfield.

Edited by Nine

12 minutes ago, Nine said:

We don’t need an out and out DM, we need consistently fit and available options in midfield in general. 

We’ve been no where near our peak pressing ability for months due to limited availability in midfield.

We've always needed a DM 

1 minute ago, duo said:

We've always needed a DM 

Like last season? When we had the joint best defensive record in the league?

Edited by Nine

3 minutes ago, Nine said:

Like last season? When we had the joint best defensive record in the league?

No, but teams have figured out dropping players in the spaces in between our midfield and defence this season. Now that doesn't mean you need a DM every game, but in certain games you will, and on top of that the opposition has to figure out what way we'll play. We're a bit too obvious at the moment, there are too many gaps for teams to exploit.

Edited by Bimpy474

12 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

No, but teams have figured out dropping players in the spaces in between our midfield and defence this season. Now that doesn't mean you need a DM every game, but in certain games you will, and on top of that the opposition has to figure out what way we'll play. We're a bit too obvious at the moment, there are too many gaps for teams to exploit.

Teams tried exploiting the gap between defence and midfield last season to, the difference is we sit a lot deeper without Pope and the midfield options lack the physicality to cover the passing lanes and press the ball as well as they did last season. It’s literally down to the availability of players, we arnt hard to figure out tactically and never have been under Howe but we blew teams away with our physicality regardless. A DM under our current circumstances could be helpful yes, but with a fully fit and functioning midfield Howe will always play Bruno at 6.

1 hour ago, Miggys First Goal said:

So what do we need in the summer?

3-4 better players. Kept thinking CM wasn’t an area we should target. But someone on the right with some creativity and perhaps another midfielder other than Bruno who is comfortable on the ball, is required. 

I still think RW, CF cover and a LB/CB (depends on the Hall situation) are priority. 

8 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

someone on the right with some creativity and perhaps another midfielder other than Bruno who is comfortable on the ball, is required.

Tonali fits both those requirements. 

2 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Tonali fits both those requirements. 

I hope he does and he settles in time. As whilst he looked very good against Villa and I think one of the CL games. He didn’t look assured in possession most of the time. People wanted Longstaff back in ahead of him FFS :lol: 

Certainly has the pedigree. So let’s hope no more bans and he gets a clear run at it next season. 

Also, I meant right wing/forward for the first part. Not RCM. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

10 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

3-4 better players. Kept thinking CM wasn’t an area we should target. But someone on the right with some creativity and perhaps another midfielder other than Bruno who is comfortable on the ball, is required. 

I still think RW, CF cover and a LB/CB (depends on the Hall situation) are priority. 

Yeah - I have been saying we are a top midfielder short for a while and that’s even with Joe and Tonali sidelined

We need a LB and CB with pace and power - too soft

13 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Three of the front six tonight were Longstaff, Murphy and Almiron. We're still very much a work in progress.

Not to mention being limited to subbing-on three products from an academy that's barely functioned for decades.

Straw clutching but it was one of the few pleasing things about tonight: finishing the game with a midfield comprised entirely of academy players. 

It serves also to indicate just how much we continue to be battered by injuries and absences, like. 

We do keep scoring when Joe White is on the field of play though... 🤔

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Not to mention being limited to subbing-on three products from an academy that's barely functioned for decades.

Straw clutching but it was one of the few pleasing things about tonight: finishing the game with a midfield comprised entirely of academy players. 

It serves also to indicate just how much we continue to be battered by injuries and absences, like. 

We do keep scoring when Joe White is on the field of play though... 🤔

Can Joe White not take Longstaffs home grown place next season?

Said it before but we need to be ruthless in the summer transfer window. I’d sell Almiron and Longstaff, amd get in a RW, CB and CM straight away. Probably have to sell another player to get in an extra CF.

We need pace and technical players. 

pope, Livramento, Schar, Bruno, Tonali, isak and Gordon sure starters. Willock and JL next I line. The rest are on the hot seat. 

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Three of the front six tonight were Longstaff, Murphy and Almiron. We're still very much a work in progress.

Getting £40m for those three combined in the summer would be a start, but it won't happen

5 hours ago, Beth said:

Getting £40m for those three combined in the summer would be a start, but it won't happen

Not if we want to challenge on multiple fronts it won't. I'd wager Almiron will go though.

If he could stay fit Smith Rowe would be a great link between midfield and striker.

Really think to get the best out of Isak we need someone closer to him. Whether that's a number 10 or another striker