NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

When do these new financial rules come into effect and does anyone have a ballpark figure on how much we can spend in the summer with current or prospective regulations?

We need a RW, a back up striker, a DM, a LB and a 10. That obviously depends on how we want to set up as the DM / 10 may not be what Howe is after but we are massively struggling in transitions ourselves and coping with other team’s transitions 

Newcastle’s scouts have been told that a striker is one of their priorities for the summer transfer window, but the level of that signing depends on incomings and outgoings elsewhere in the team.

The expectation is that Callum Wilson will move on before next season, and that would likely see the need for a centre-forward and versatile frontman.

One player that scouts are keeping tabs on is Rafa Mujica, of Portuguese top-flight club FC Arouca. He is the division’s third-top scorer with 16 goals and, after a nomadic career taking in Barcelona B and Leeds, he has impressed this season.

The Spaniard, 25, is one of many names being considered, but he falls into the versatile category - he can also play on the wing - and would be a cheaper option if the bulk of the budget is needed for other areas.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13202179/NEWCASTLE-NOTEBOOK-Overcrowding-Hillsborough-season-officially-classed-near-miss-Toon-consider-pre-season-return-United-States-certain-Rafa-Magpies-radar.html

Edited by joeyt

On 12/03/2024 at 19:36, gbandit said:

When do these new financial rules come into effect and does anyone have a ballpark figure on how much we can spend in the summer with current or prospective regulations?

We need a RW, a back up striker, a DM, a LB and a 10. That obviously depends on how we want to set up as the DM / 10 may not be what Howe is after but we are massively struggling in transitions ourselves and coping with other team’s transitions 

Income for next season - allowing for finishing top half - will likely be around  £300m

£300m x 70% = £210m budget for wages and transfers

Current wage bill = c.£90m

£210m - £90m = £120m

Likely transfer amortisation on books = c.£90m

£120m - £90m = £30m

So around £30m, which allowing for amortisation might be £100m+ (plus incomings)

That’s not allowing for Hall’s £30m fee mind

I’d also be very surprised if we went for a LB, given we’ve got five players on our books atm who can play there.  RW, CB and a back up CF would be priorities for me

Edited by TheBrownBottle

On 12/03/2024 at 08:36, gbandit said:

No, we only need a RW, ST and CB. Howe does not play with a dedicated DM, and if he decided to I'd imagine Tonali would be a suitable choice. Likewise his system does not have a no 10 role either. As for LB, we are stowed off with them, they just all happen to be mediocre or injured. Tino is more than capable of filling in there whilst we vainly hope Targett or Hall will come good.

2 hours ago, Beth said:

No, we only need a RW, ST and CB. Howe does not play with a dedicated DM, and if he decided to I'd imagine Tonali would be a suitable choice. Likewise his system does not have a no 10 role either. As for LB, we are stowed off with them, they just all happen to be mediocre or injured. Tino is more than capable of filling in there whilst we vainly hope Targett or Hall will come good.

His system at Bournemouth wasn't what he uses here so why does anyone we bring in just have to be an upgrade but on a like for like manner ?

Last summer's transfer window was a total fuck up. Four players brought in (3 of them squad players) and less than 25% of games played between the four of them. We must concentrate on genuine first team players moving forward as ultimately that will also improve the squad (I said this last year also). The dead wood out of contract have to be dropped to free up wages and some of the players moved on (Almiron, Longstaff, Wilson). Big summer coming up in my opinion.

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Income for next season - allowing for finishing top half - will likely be around  £300m

£300m x 70% = £210m budget for wages and transfers

Current wage bill = c.£90m

£210m - £90m = £120m

Likely transfer amortisation on books = c.£90m

£120m - £90m = £30m

So around £30m, which allowing for amortisation might be £100m+ (plus incomings)

That’s not allowing for Hall’s £30m fee mind

I’d also be very surprised if we went for a LB, given we’ve got five players on our books atm who can play there.  RW, CB and a back up CF would be priorities for me

You can take £5-7m off for Hall for starters. Three new players on £75k/week is another £10-12m. That leaves £10-15m on amortised transfer fees which assuming we go to the maximum of 5 years is £50-75m on fees.

It's really difficult to predict though because an extra £5m either way on turnover can skew it by multiples of five!

Got to imagine Ritchie, Dummett, Hendrick, Lewis, Hayden, Fraser and one or two others will disappear off that wage bill like.

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

Last summer's transfer window was a total fuck up. Four players brought in (3 of them squad players) and less than 25% of games played between the four of them. We must concentrate on genuine first team players moving forward as ultimately that will also improve the squad (I said this last year also). The dead wood out of contract have to be dropped to free up wages and some of the players moved on (Almiron, Longstaff, Wilson). Big summer coming up in my opinion.

It's been a short-term disaster, but largely due to bad luck (Hall aside, perhaps).

I'm still confident (barring an extended ban for Tonali) that most if not all of the signings will come good in the medium to long term.

Edited by The Prophet

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's been a short-term disaster, but largely due to bad luck (Hall aside, perhaps).

I'm still confident (barring an extended ban for Tonali), that most if not all of the signings will come good in the medium to long term.

The Tonali situation has been a disaster because he was clearly bought with the champions league games in mind given his experience. I think he’ll come good. The club probably didn’t do enough to provide immediate impact players but the Barnes situation has been really really unfortunate with his toe injury. His goals would’ve made a huge difference (discussion aside over whether a RW upgrade might’ve been more appropriate). 

Howe is saying there won’t be a total overhaul due to PSR, but you’d have to think there’s going to have to be a fairly major transformation clearing out deadwood and securing a few key positions in the summer. 

We need a RW and a creative CM, possibly a DM aswell.

Whoever we go for, I just hope physicality and stamina aren't the defining factors in the decision.

16 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

The Tonali situation has been a disaster because he was clearly bought with the champions league games in mind given his experience. I think he’ll come good. The club probably didn’t do enough to provide immediate impact players but the Barnes situation has been really really unfortunate with his toe injury. His goals would’ve made a huge difference (discussion aside over whether a RW upgrade might’ve been more appropriate). 

Howe is saying there won’t be a total overhaul due to PSR, but you’d have to think there’s going to have to be a fairly major transformation clearing out deadwood and securing a few key positions in the summer. 

I think we'll bring the usual three to four, which providing they're in the required positions would be fine.

23 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Whose contracts are up this summer?

Dummett, Ritchie and Hendrick are up this summer. Also Karius and Gilliespie.

Next year - Dubravka, Trippier, Schar, Lascelles, Joelinton, Wilson, Krafth, Burn, Fraser, Lewis.

Hayden has two more years.

6 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

Dummett, Ritchie and Hendrick are up this summer. Also Karius and Gilliespie.

Next year - Dubravka, Trippier, Schar, Lascelles, Joelinton, Wilson, Krafth, Burn, Fraser, Lewis.

Hayden has two more years.

It's clear evidence, if needed that the biggest obstacle to "swift" progression hasn't been Eddie Howe's alleged limitations, the owners "procrastination" or, even, the cartel. 

It's fucking Ashley. 

People going on about binning Eddie and getting an "elite" manager when, by their own estimations, we haven't got an elite squad. A squad full of "deadwood" no less. 

Tonali, Barnes and Tino were great signings, just went south fast 😂

Hall, granted, is a funny one but I accept what Howe presented. 

Howe's wanted a fluid midfield 3, the calls for a dedicated DM probably fall on deaf ears.

Maybe he'll change his mind for next season mind.

2 hours ago, et tu brute said:

We signed a Champions League-level centre-midfielder, a goal-scoring winger and one of the brightest young defensive talents in the league. How is that a total fuck up unless we knew Tonali and Barnes weren't going to play?

If we are restricted again in the summer due to FFP as seems likely, I really hope we focus on what we need and not what’s available. I’m all for us being opportunistic regarding long term targets, however I don’t think we can afford to do that this summer at say the expense of a top RW.

At this point I’d be fucking over the moon with Diomande, Mamardashvili, Ederson, Gibbs-White and a young striker.

We’d be a left back short but surely they’ll have shown Hall how to defend by next season.

Edited by Whitley mag

3 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

At this point I’d be fucking over the moon with Diomande, Mamardashvili, Ederson, Gibbs-White and a young striker.

We’d be a left back short but surely they’ll have shown Hall how to defend by next season.

I think you're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think we're bringing in all of those but not losing someone valuable to the first team.

12 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I think you're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think we're bringing in all of those but not losing someone valuable to the first team.

Unlikely I agree unless Joelinton doesn’t sign a new contract. Still think we’ll get a few off the wage bill this summer if where ruthless.

Edited by Whitley mag

1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

Unlikely I agree unless Joelinton doesn’t sign a new contract. Still think we’ll get a few off the wage bill this summer if where ruthless.

Christ, he has to sign that contract otherwise we're struggling massively.

We'll hopefully see the back of one or two but I'd be hoping for less quantity more quality than the 5 you mentioned there.

Not a NUFC rumour, but keep seeing the videos of Toney twerking for a move on a sky sports interview 

Other than Arsenal (who I could see not wanting him due to Havertz having a lot of his qualities), who else would be after him? 

If he only has a year left, wonder if we would be tempted if a low fee, even though he doesn't fit our usual buying criteria (age, no dick heads etc)