NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, worthy said:

The man has said that he has difficulties concentrating for 45 minutes, let alone 90. Not a great thing to say as a goalie :lol:

I completely missed that. If that’s accurate then yes, best avoided. Although, being pedantic, does a goalie need to concentrate for a full 90?

6 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I completely missed that. If that’s accurate then yes, best avoided. Although, being pedantic, does a goalie need to concentrate for a full 90?

Well I think it’s more so that you need to be able to be on it, let’s say they only get 2 shots and that’s it, and the goalie is turned off cause he hasn’t been doing anything for 89 minutes and just let them go. I guess technically no, but yes :lol: 

Don’t get the Ramsdale link, if we are genuinely interested. 

Debatable whether or not he’s even an upgrade on Pope. He would cost a lot. Has plenty of howlers. He’s not a sweeper keeper. He came across as a complete clown in that chat with Ian Wright. He wouldn’t come here to possibly be second choice again.

Hard pass. 

As much as I think where crying out for a keeper, I can’t see us spending 30-40 million on one this summer. Think the Valencia keeper is the way to go, but have a feeling it’ll be an ageing experienced keeper on the cheap to cover Pope.

Think where looking at 2 CB’s and a hybrid right sided forward who can also lead the line, along with a few youngsters that might be our lot.

Edited by Whitley mag

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

As much as I think where crying out for a keeper, I can’t see us spending 30-40 million on one this summer. Think the Valencia keeper is the way to go, but have a feeling it’ll be an ageing experienced keeper on the cheap to cover Pope.

Think where looking at 2 CB’s and a hybrid right sided forward who can also lead the line, along with a few youngsters that might be our lot.

We seem to sign long term targets if they are available more than what we may need. That may change this summer mind.

I've never really rated him that highly but would anyone take Meslier from Leeds to be our keeper should they not get promoted?

Much better with his feet than Pope and considerably younger

Just now, joeyt said:

I've never really rated him that highly but would anyone take Meslier from Leeds to be our keeper should they not get promoted?

As backup to Pope, right?

Just now, nemtizz said:

As backup to Pope, right?

I don't think he'd come as backup but it's been mentioned we may be looking at a number 1 who is better at passing and younger than Pope like the lad at Valencia

I wouldn’t take Meslier no. Not seen him this season at all but I thought he got very lucky in the PL at times, making him look better than he was 

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Don’t get the Ramsdale link, if we are genuinely interested. 

Debatable whether or not he’s even an upgrade on Pope. He would cost a lot. Has plenty of howlers. He’s not a sweeper keeper. He came across as a complete clown in that chat with Ian Wright. He wouldn’t come here to possibly be second choice again.

Hard pass. 

He's definitely a sweeper keeper and would be an upgrade with the ball at his feet and in distribution from the back.

Then there's the link with Howe who had him at Bournemouth, which probably plays into the links.

He's still young for a goalie and is certainly talented, but for me he's a bit eccentric and has a goofy side to him I don't really like at all when it comes to the position. I want a very boring no nonsense type at goal keeper everytime please.

I'd take Ramsdale over Meslier like. Not much in it between them and Pope and I'd rather stick with what we've got if Pope comes back well from injury.

Mike Maignon please [emoji38]

28 minutes ago, KaKa said:

He's definitely a sweeper keeper and would be an upgrade with the ball at his feet and in distribution from the back.

Then there's the link with Howe who had him at Bournemouth, which probably plays into the links.

He's still young for a goalie and is certainly talented, but for me he's a bit eccentric and has a goofy side to him I don't really like at all when it comes to the position. I want a very boring no nonsense type at goal keeper everytime please.

Not saying I massively studied him for Arsenal. But don’t remember him coming really high in the same way the likes of Pope and Martinez do for example. His FBref says otherwise and all. 

57 minutes ago, joeyt said:

He looked terrible in the prem, I thought. Very young for a keeper and in a struggling team, mind. Not seen him much this season. 

Pope has been our most damaging injury in terms of how negatively it has impacted our system, management will have a better idea than us on how he is recovering and the long term chances of re occurrence.

While it would be nice to have a keeper who is better with their feet, Pope plays the SK role so consistently well that it makes upgrading the position probably not enough of a priority that we’d make that move this summer or next. With the double ACL at CB it will have shifted our original summer priorities, not that I think a new number 1 would have been near the top of that list anyway. Then again, a lot of our business is us acting on the opportunity of potential value so never say never if the right deal becomes available.

But like I was saying, it’s gotta come down to confidence in a full recovery and minimal chances of him going down with that again.. shoulder injuries like that can be a brutal for a keepers longevity.

Edited by Nine

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

One of the weakest keepers I’ve ever seen. Crisp packet hands. Is this an April fool’s?

13 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Not saying I massively studied him for Arsenal. But don’t remember him coming really high in the same way the likes of Pope and Martinez do for example. His FBref says otherwise and all. 

https://themastermindsite.com/2023/05/09/top-20-sweeper-keepers-2022-23/

Any team that presses high up the pitch pretty much needs to have a sweeper keeper at the back.

The article above had Ramsdale at 13 last year among keepers from all top leagues. 

Just to further emphasize how much of this element we have missed from Pope, he was ranked at number one out of them all.

Edited by KaKa

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

https://themastermindsite.com/2023/05/09/top-20-sweeper-keepers-2022-23/

Any team that presses high up the pitch pretty much needs to have a sweeper keeper at the back.

The article above had Ramsdale at 13 last year among keepers from all top leagues. 

Just to further emphasize how much of this element we have missed from Pope, he was ranked at number one out of them all.

I was reading this article yesterday, it shows how good Pope was last year.

As mentioned before Muric could be an option and likely to be cheap and understand he will be initial understudy until he beats out Pope.

Some of the other GK on the list I didn't recognise but they are over 30 

7 hours ago, Theregulars said:

“did I lock the door when I left the house? I wonder what my dog is doing right now. Maybe I left the stove on….oh shit here comes Haaland!”