NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 hours ago, Jack27 said:

Kelly both starting and coming on from the bench is impressive too. Sign him up 

Good to have options after selling Miggy and almiron 

2 hours ago, Jack27 said:

Kelly both starting and coming on from the bench is impressive too. Sign him up 

Would mean he gets injured twice, taking the injury of another player, who would only pick up the customary one.

Edited by Joelinton7

4 hours ago, Ikon said:

I don’t think I want Kelly at all. I guess it depends on what kind of room we have when it comes to spending. Would prefer to not sign too much “dead wood” . Prefer to get top quality or very young players with massive potential. But yeah, ffp…

Why is Kelly dead wood? Crikey [emoji38]

Why are players from smaller clubs always looked down upon this way man?

Anyway, let's see if he comes in, then we'll see what he does. I think there will be some backtracking yet again.

It's the same way both Gordon and Barnes were vastly underestimated on here when we signed both, but we've seen a very different reality.

When Liverpool were signing the likes of Robertson and Henderson that ended up being such significant pieces for them in their first team, same thing.

4 hours ago, Fezzle said:

Good to have options after selling Miggy and almiron 

This is the sort of hatred i can get behind. Miggy’s bounds know no limits.

6 hours ago, KaKa said:

Anyway, let's see if he comes in, then we'll see what he does. I think there will be some backtracking yet again.

It's the same way both Gordon and Barnes were vastly underestimated on here when we signed both, but we've seen a very different reality.

When Liverpool were signing the likes of Robertson and Henderson that ended up being such significant pieces for them in their first team, same thing.

Spot on

Just now, buzza said:

Kelly has pace, is only 25 and with eddie's guidance will become the next kyle walker!!!

AND FOR FREE

And if not there is always the potential to flip him for a few million to keep the accountants happy!

I know people keep mentioning Minteh, but isn't he away on loan because of work permit issues? Would they have been resolved if he returned to us next season?

14 hours ago, Sweee said:

Gibbs-White and Kelly. Although i want a elite CB. But that can wait until next summer imo. 

Start of season lineup

Barnes - Isak - Gordon

Gibbs-White - Guimaraes - Joelinton

Burn - Kelly - Schär - Trippier

Pope

Kelly, Livramento, Miley, Longstaff, Tonali and Almiron as important subs

Sweeet Jesus.

Love the edit note, mind. Based.

have spoken about Murillo before but he’s the absolute ideal profile for our LB/CB hybrid role imo. Great on the ball and rapid once up to speed too.

I love Chiesa, as I've said many times, he was my ideal signing when the takeover happened, but if we're looking for players that can handle the toll that Howe's system has on players, he's the last player I'd be going for now unfortunately. His injury record is about as bad as it gets. 

I’m not sure just bringing in Kelly will be enough defensive wise, it’s likely Botman and Lascelles will miss a good portion of next season. Plus it’ll likely be Lascelles last season at the club? Schar isn’t getting any younger either. In a strange kind of way we are pretty well stocked in midfield and attack (injury’s aside). Obviously we’ll need a very good option up front to cover for Isak and maybe an Almiron upgrade depending if both he and Wilson leaves the club. Based on that I can see 4-5 coming in and a similar number going out.

2 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

I’m not sure just bringing in Kelly will be enough defensive wise, it’s likely Botman and Lascelles will miss a good portion of next season. Plus it’ll likely be Lascelles last season at the club? Schar isn’t getting any younger either. In a strange kind of way we are pretty well stocked in midfield and attack (injury’s aside). Obviously we’ll need a very good option up front to cover for Isak and maybe an Almiron upgrade depending if both he and Wilson leaves the club. Based on that I can see 4-5 coming in and a similar number going out.

Ideally I think I'd look to buy a CB who can fill in for Botman right now and then replace Schar later. Not against a cheaper option as well but I think we need a really good CB signing soon. 

22 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Ideally I think I'd look to buy a CB who can fill in for Botman right now and then replace Schar later. Not against a cheaper option as well but I think we need a really good CB signing soon. 

Would be an excellent chance to integrate him into the team with a view of partnering Botman long term. 

Tosin and Kelly on frees is such a no brainer. 

You play Schar left centre back whilst botman is out with tosin to the right. Kelly can play left back in certain games and Tino/Hall can come in for others. Burn as back up. 

you’d have 9 defenders (trippier, krafth, tino, Schar, tosin, Kelly, burn, hall, targett) because we probably won’t be able to shift Targett. Maybe he goes out on loan when Botman comes back. 

Then next summer you can look at bringing in replacements for Schar and Trippier. 

39 minutes ago, Conjo said:

image.thumb.png.20206c5e3ed6dc64e42cd060682e865f.png

image.thumb.png.faeaa3b554636c3254915b8af53b1990.png

yeah......no :lol:

It's a crying shame like. Hope he can get his career back on track because he was so exciting in the Euros, loved everything about his style. 

11 hours ago, KaKa said:

Aye. Andy Cole and Les Ferdinand were wank. And don’t get me started on that plank we signed from Vancouver. 

19 hours ago, STM said:

My thoughts are that so far we haven't really done "stop gap" type signings, by that I mean signing players specifically because they are deemed a good deal or a bargain. Therefore my instinct is that we won't go near Kelly or Tosin, unless we had already seen them as potential signings, which is possible.

Could that be because those players have not been worth it since takeover? Only been two summer windows so far, and giving the bloated squad and capacity to spend, we could target the big signings. 

But long term, you can’t have 20 players in a squad that all cost minimum £30m+. Just not viable unless you are established as a proper big dog. We will need to replace the proper crap/worthless squad players with better squad players. Ideally, every signing you make is to improve the XI so squad improves that way, but realistically that’s not going to be possible so need to maximise value elsewhere.

Tosin in particular would be good free transfer when we want/need two CBs this summer because of the injuries. Issue with him and Kelly is the wages. If some club is willing to give them £100k+, then we will go elsewhere because we can’t be giving those contracts out unless they’re a certified banger. Think that’s what’s put us off following up soft interest in players in previous summers on a free.

We have done stop gap signings in Targett and Wood.

Wood was fine in the end because we almost got our money back.

Targett has been a poor signing permanently. I remember at the time it was said he wasn't our first choice for left back that summer, but we were struggling to make transfer progress so we got it done to move on. In hindsight you can now see why Howe wasn't convinced - and unfortunately with the injuries he's looking a bit of a dead weight for the fee we paid.

I can see similar concerns over Kelly/Tosin. Neither are ever going to be worldbeaters, and the free transfers may lumber us with slightly inflated wages for players of their level. Injury concerns probably add to that. However they would add solid depth at the back to prioritise spend in forward areas. 

21 hours ago, Sweee said:

Gibbs-White and Kelly. Although i want a elite CB. But that can wait until next summer imo. 

Start of season lineup

Barnes - Isak - Gordon

Gibbs-White - Guimaraes - Joelinton

Burn - Kelly - Schär - Trippier

Pope

Kelly, Livramento, Miley, Longstaff, Tonali and Almiron as important subs

if we go into next season with Burn starting at LB, god help us.

49 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

We have done stop gap signings in Targett and Wood.

Wood was fine in the end because we almost got our money back.

Targett has been a poor signing permanently. I remember at the time it was said he wasn't our first choice for left back that summer, but we were struggling to make transfer progress so we got it done to move on. In hindsight you can now see why Howe wasn't convinced - and unfortunately with the injuries he's looking a bit of a dead weight for the fee we paid.

I can see similar concerns over Kelly/Tosin. Neither are ever going to be worldbeaters, and the free transfers may lumber us with slightly inflated wages for players of their level. Injury concerns probably add to that. However they would add solid depth at the back to prioritise spend in forward areas. 

Its interesting how players are viewed really. Kelly and Tosin are 25 and 26 and haven't really been tested at a higher level yet on the European stage, so how do we know they will never be world beaters, and in actuality what does that even mean?

I've seen a lot of people on here talk about wanting Tomori, but when he was leaving Chelsea, I'm sure if we had gone for him, some would have said we shouldn't be buying cast offs from Chelsea. I saw those kind of comments when we were linked with their other centre back Chalobah over the summer.

When Akanji joins Man City for £15 million from Dortmund at the age of 27, no one raved about it or considered him any kind of world beater. It wasn't the typical monster fee they've spent on some of their other centre backs, but he's been as good as all of the others, and was a big part of their treble last season. When Liverpool signed Matip on a free I remember us being linked at the time as well, was he a world beater then? He ended up performing at a pretty high level alongside Van Dijk.

I've seen Kelly linked with Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle, Juventus and AC Milan. Tosin has been linked with Spurs, Man Utd and  Newcastle.

Both of these guys are going to be taking a step up next season and it's going to be very interesting watching their progress, because I think they are better than just squad filler ability wise.