NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

5 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

[emoji38] Fuck it, that’s me done for the night.

Fans bitching on because we aren’t signing superstars left right and centre man. Fucking loonies.

2 superstars in one transfer window (Tonali + a top winger) for a club owned by Saudis that buy everything they want is lunacy? 

C'mon, don't be so modest.

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I can’t think of any logical objections for £35m really, except he’s not as exciting as someone more exciting. 

Yeah, the fee is alright even if I’m not that excited about the player.

14 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

He's easily as exciting as Diaby. Think the only pushback I would have on this deal is that it only really makes sense if ASM is leaving or if Howe is planning on using ASM centrally.

Stats lie sometimes. Where are the big clubs looking for this "bargain"? The same can be applied to players like Jonathan David and Milinkovic-Savic. No top clubs looking to sign them, but they have good stats for a long time, so something is wrong there, same with Barnes.

Edited by cranna

1 minute ago, cranna said:

Stats lie sometimes. Where are the big clubs looking for this "bargain"? The same can be applied to players like Jonathan David and Milinkovic-Savic. No top clubs looking to sign them, but they have good stats for a long time, so something is wrong there, same with Barnes.

Couldn’t you apply that logic to anyone we’ve signed? 

2 minutes ago, cranna said:

Aye, you're definitely right. Forget all this bullshit 'scouting' and 'data'. We need to start basing all our transfer decisions on 'who else is in for them' because that's definitely a sane approach.

I think it’s a decent point regarding a highly productive player whose club just got relegated. Everyone knows he’s available but think he’s been mostly linked to West Ham before us.

26 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Barnes, Maximin, Gordon and Almiron for the two wide roles, Murphy as back up. Could probably even sell him if someone fancied giving us our £12m back for him. As much as people talk about Almiron not matching his goal tally I think there's less chance of Murphy repeating his performances and we have better than him. 

I think you’re wrong there. Murphy’s goals this season felt more like in line with the team and squad as a whole, not just something pulled out of his ass each time like Miggy’s felt. 

He needs to be looked at as more of a wide forward than a winger. His goal scoring record over the past 3 seasons is similar to Rashford who is rated as one of the top players in the league. Rashford doesnt offer much else other than speed and finishing. 

2 hours ago, hakka said:

Stop pissing on my childhood hero memories :lol:

I know he never hit same heights before 97, but he still produced many world class moments for us. I never really stopped thinking he was world class until after Robson was sacked era. Still love things like the Inter hat-trick in Champions League.

?

Yeah, sorry mate :)

He was up there with the Ronaldos, Batitstutas and Weahs of the world prior to that injury.  Sadly not afterwards.  He was still international class, mind. 

Also, I know I was pissed at the San Siro that night - but I must have been sozzled to have missed Shearer’s third ;) 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Just on the Shearer / Chiesa injury comparison, it’s worth remembering that when Shearer came back after half a season in 97/98 he looked miles off the pace for the rest of that campaign.  He scored only two league goals - against teams that would end up relegated.  He started scoring regularly again the following year though - and did more or less until he retired (despite more surgery in 2001).  Chiesa being less sharp than previous might not mean that he can’t still do the business

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Couldn’t you apply that logic to anyone we’ve signed? 

We still got time to return Pope? No one else was in for £10m so I presume last season was an illusion and he's actually shite. 

5 hours ago, kocunar said:

Yes I've seen him, there are 5 more talented left wingers in Croatian League that you could get for few million.

You should have told Southampton that before they spunked money on Orsic. 

Barnes at that price would be a great pick up, and a very astute one considering his strengths and our relative lack of goals from out wide (Miggy’s once in a lifetime run aside).

So if we get these two wingers, fingers crossed, then what's left?.

A starting left back, a centre half to rival / upgrade Schar and a young understudy striker to learn of Wilson before becoming his replacement next year?

I still have faith that while miggy was definitely over performing he can get his shooting boots back. When he came back from injury he was starting to look threatening again as season ended. 

13 minutes ago, MagMal said:

A starting left back, a centre half to rival / upgrade Schar

Depending on the budget remaining, if it’s tight, then someone like Tosin Adarabioyo on a free as back up,  would be sensible business. Quick, strong and aerially very good. LB is either Tierney or someone out of the blue. 

36 minutes ago, MagMal said:

So if we get these two wingers, fingers crossed, then what's left?.

A starting left back, a centre half to rival / upgrade Schar and a young understudy striker to learn of Wilson before becoming his replacement next year?

I think Barnes is the wide forward for the summer and Maxi stays put. Howe will want a joker in the pack and some unpredictability off the bench at least.

26 minutes ago, Toon88 said:

Depending on the budget remaining, if it’s tight, then someone like Tosin Adarabioyo on a free as back up,  would be sensible business. Quick, strong and aerially very good. LB is either Tierney or someone out of the blue. 

He’s not on a free though, he has one year left.