NUFC Transfer Rumours

It's worth bearing in mind Wood was never our third striker as people keep referring him as. He was our 2nd striker as backup to Wilson. We sold Wood and bought Isak unless I'm remembering this wrong. The third striker is Osula, although even that's not strictly accurate as he's fourth choice behind Gordon.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

It's worth bearing in mind Wood was never our third striker as people keep referring him as. He was our 2nd striker as backup to Wilson. We sold Wood and bought Isak unless I'm remembering this wrong. The third striker is Osula, although even that's not strictly accurate as he's fourth choice behind Gordon.

We signed Isak in August 2022, we sold Wood in January 2023.

Just now, Fak said:

We signed Isak in August 2022, we sold Wood in January 2023.

I know that, once we signed Isak we were never going to keep Wood as a third striker. Effectively Isak was bought as Wood's replacement even if it was done in reverse order.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I know that, once we signed Isak we were never going to keep Wood as a third striker. Effectively Isak was bought as Wood's replacement even if it was done in reverse order.

Ah I see what you mean.

TBF we were never going to keep Wood full stop regardless if he was first, second or third choice.

2 minutes ago, Fak said:

Ah I see what you mean.

TBF we were never going to keep Wood full stop regardless if he was first, second or third choice.

Wood was never the answer, he would not have stayed as a third striker, and tbh we can't afford to keep spending tens of millions on players in their 30's who we have to write off. We did it with Burn, Trippier and Wood, and it worked out because they saved us effectively. But with PSR, it was right to go for someone in the Osula mode, although how good he actually is is anyone's guess.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Wood was never the answer, he would not have stayed as a third striker, and tbh we can't afford to keep spending tens of millions on players in their 30's who we have to write off. We did it with Burn, Trippier and Wood, and it worked out because they saved us effectively. But with PSR, it was right to go for someone in the Osula mode, although how good he actually is is anyone's guess.

Yup.

Wood was a panic buy which iirc was triggered by our cup exit at home Cambridge. With Wilson injured we had ASM up top he flopped.

With no striker, ASM looking lost up front and some big games ahead I think we just went for it and met Wood's release clause at Burnley. If we had tried to sign anyone else no doubt we'd have wasted time haggling as clubs tried to fleece us over our Newcastle tax. 

1 hour ago, Harry 209 said:

is this Oscar Gloukh any good? Never heard of him myself.

is a cross between Barnes and Gordon - plays mostly on the left 

We need to strengthen the other side with at least 2 new signings, with 1 being able to play CF too - not naming any particular player (Bryan Mbuemo)

46 minutes ago, Harry 209 said:

yeah was on the BBC gossip page this morning

Yeah wouldn’t  take notice of what they write on there - said we were looking to pay £80m for Guehi last weekend 

Probs just a lazy Mitchell/Red Bull link 

5 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Mad way to treat a young player. 

It's the only way their model works. You can't have young players leave for free. Selling a large number of them is how they beat ffp. 

20 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

I dont get the piece from Douglas about Burns recent performances and us focus on a RW because of him. Botman and Kelly are his rivals, not the new CB.

Yeah Burn’s performance is irrelevant really. Botman will take his place and the new CB will eventually replace Schar. 

Of course the new CB might’ve played LCB temporarily, I thought that about Guehi. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah Burn’s performance is irrelevant really. Botman will take his place and the new CB will eventually replace Schar. 

Of course the new CB might’ve played LCB temporarily, I thought that about Guehi. 

Didn’t Guehi play LCB in the Euros? Felt like he was on that side of the pitch more often than not.

My assumption for the Guehi deal was for him to play left til Botman returned then move over but only after Botman has been eased back, dangerous to believe he'll be back firing at full speed immediately on return... VVD last year is proof of that 

The next transfer window has the ability to make or break our season, our last transfer window almost broke it, this window needs to fix it.

I know people like to get into the ins and outs about what position and who but ultimately I think the fans (and team) need a lift. For whatever reason our club seems to crave a star signing or two to keep the flame alight.

If we can pull an exciting attacking player out of the bag in January, I think we will go on a run at some point.