NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

It's astonishing how quickly people have forgotten his season at Brighton.

The guy was superb. Absolutely relentless getting up and down the pitch on that left side, and so good in possession as his passing is great.

Defensively he struggled in a Chelsea side that was a complete mess. We are far better organised defensively and he'll have Joelinton supporting him on that side too.

Think getting either of Tierney or Cucurella on an initial loan would be incredible business.

Played well for Brighton as a wing back though, so that needs taking in to consideration.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we went for a short-term solution in getting a left-back  this window and then go all in on a future superstar centre-back in the summer.

Antonio Silva at Benfica comes to mind; would be super pricey, but we’ve shown that we can “overpay” for the right profile.

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Played well for Brighton as a wing back though, so that needs taking in to consideration.

And playing for Brighton brings far less pressure than playing for a much bigger club. Something that Chelsea and Liverpool may likely to consider during this auction for Caicedo.

11 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Can neither Burn or Bosman play as the right sided centre back?  I never recall this being such an issue in the past in terms of a centre back playing right or left.  If they could then we'd have the cover and could go for the left back.

10 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if we went for a short-term solution in getting a left-back  this window and then go all in on a future superstar centre-back in the summer.

Antonio Silva at Benfica comes to mind; would be super pricey, but we’ve shown that we can “overpay” for the right profile.

We can ‘overpay’ only so many times before falling foul of FFP though, and it seems like we’re near the end of our limit this window? 

8 minutes ago, Manxst said:

We can ‘overpay’ only so many times before falling foul of FFP though, and it seems like we’re near the end of our limit this window? 

Rice going for 100mill, Caicedo, when he goes will go for more, Hojland was 70mill etc. Is everyone overpaying ?

I also think they may now be betting on the rules being relaxed by UEFA and PL given how Saudi Arabia are taking a lot of top talent out of Europe. Wiil take time, but another few Summers like the past one and it will be harder and harder for the PL and CL to sell themselves as the competitions where all the best players in the world play. 

All well and good getting the money in Saudi like but imagine it’ll hit home when they draw Melbourne City in the Asian Champions League and they’re trekking to the other side of the planet on a weekly basis :lol: 

1 minute ago, Alberto2005 said:

The question is, if Schar is injured does Lascelles play ahead of Burn at CB?

If he does then that's quite concerning, I think I'd prefer a backup RCB in that case.

Probably, otherwise we'd be two of our first choice defenders out or out of position.

37 minutes ago, Geordie Boyo said:

Very strange if it is centrebacks we’re looking at rather than a left-back. We’ll definitely be weak in that area if it’s not sorted with only a centre back coming in. See what happens this week with the rumours and paper talk. 

I think we'll be looking at both (one permanent, one loan possibly with option or obligation to buy).

I wouldn't be at all surprised with Tierney or Cucurella on loan.

I'd take quality CB cover over Marc Cucurella tbh. Guy's a "Steady Eddie", he's got 3 assists in 2 seasons, probably won't let you down but won't be putting it on a plate that often. That Miggy goal in pre-season is fresh in the mind too, what the hell was he doing [emoji38]

1 minute ago, Alberto2005 said:

The question is, if Schar is injured does Lascelles play ahead of Burn at CB?

If he does then that's quite concerning, I think I'd prefer a backup RCB in that case.

The thing is though, we play with a very high centre back line to help our press, and ideally if you play with that high of a line your full backs need to be quick to cover. Look how many team’s concentrate on our left side because of how slow BDB is, in an ideal world we would get both a left back and a right centre back but to me the way we play a left back is more important. 

I think we will try to get a pacey and strong left back in, and move Targett out late in the window. 

Theo is the dream but unless we can be creative as Eddie suggests we need to be, loan with obligation next year, that remains a dream.

Targett left Villa for us because he wanted to play, so not the craziest idea to imagine he will want to be playing more reguarly.

8 minutes ago, vicente_14 said:

I think we will try to get a pacey and strong left back in, and move Targett out late in the window. 

Theo is the dream but unless we can be creative as Eddie suggests we need to be, loan with obligation next year, that remains a dream.

Targett left Villa for us because he wanted to play, so not the craziest idea to imagine he will want to be playing more reguarly.

More than doubled his wage moving to us I believe, probably not just playing time as a factor. So not quite so easy to move on I guess.