NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Whenever I’ve seen him he’s looked like a high ceiling player. Touch, agility, pace, strikes the ball cleanly, hard worker.  Ghana’s best player at the World Cup and looked a real threat whenever I’ve seen him in the CL. Tactically flexible too.  Like his goal against Liverpool was a banger. 

When I think of a ‘painfully average’ player I think of Weghorst. Kudus at the least is capable of some magic. I don’t watch him week in week out to know his game in depth or his consistency. But he’s a talent for sure imo. 

Fair enough. Whenever I’ve seen him he hasn’t stood out; pacy wingers with poor decision-making, end product and a lack of footballing brain are ten a penny these days. He wouldn’t represent a significant upgrade on Almiron for me.

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Manquillo was the one I thought we may get a fee for. 

Saudi man. £6m.  Get him in. 

We'd probably get that for Krafth if we do get Livrimento in. Krafth is only 28-29 I believe, so still should fetch some sort of fee.

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

Fair enough. Whenever I’ve seen him he hasn’t stood out; pacy wingers with poor decision-making, end product and a lack of footballing brain are ten a penny these days. He wouldn’t represent a significant upgrade on Almiron for me.

I’m sure there’s a lot to work with there tbf; I’d just prefer someone with a bit more nous and intelligence to their game. We already have Almiron and Murphy who are similar in play-style to him.

He's nothing like Almiron and Murphy I don't think.

I'm not even sure he's a winger (although I don't doubt he could play there)? He's played centre mid/attacking midfield and as a centre forward in all of the games I've seen.

Definitely a bit unrefined, does some things well and some things badly, but loads of natural technical ability. Great dribbling and shot power.

Edited by ponsaelius

Kudus seems very left footed but spends a lot of his time on right side of attack from what I’ve seen. Howe seems to like inverted wide men, think he could do a canny job on right side, though always the risk that comes with players from Dutch league.

He’s a headless chicken type pacy winger with a high work rate. Kinda similar; but my point was he’s not got that nous/creativity/vision or whatever that we’re desperately lacking in the final third.

5 minutes ago, McCormick said:

He’s a headless chicken type pacy winger with a high work rate. Kinda similar; but my point was he’s not got that nous/creativity/vision or whatever that we’re desperately lacking in the final third.

He does look raw and your typical pacy wide man, not many have the qualities you mention, which is why Szob probably is the standout target to fill the wide right slot.

I've checked transfermarkt just to make sure I wasn't losing the plot, but he's only played on the wing 19 times out of 141 in his entire career. Admittedly the majority of those were for Ajax - but he's still predominantly played centre mid, attacking mid and this season as a CF (in all the games in the CL he played CF).

I agree he's a bit unrefined/chaotic and not sure he's what we're looking for, but I don't think he's anything like what you're describing. From what I saw he was a lot closer to the kind of roaming attacking midfielder/forward African countries used to produce like Okocha, Abedi Pele. Obviously nowhere near that level.

1 hour ago, Unbelievable said:

Kudus is nothing like those two in the games I’ve watched like :lol:

Nothing like them at all.  Kudus is kinky and can really strike a ball. 

Not to mention he’s played striker, CAM, CM (which I think could be his best position - 8/10 in a midfield 3) and RW.  While the others are pure wingers. 

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

I've checked transfermarkt just to make sure I wasn't losing the plot, but he's only played on the wing 19 times out of 141 in his entire career. Admittedly the majority of those were for Ajax - but he's still predominantly played centre mid, attacking mid and this season as a CF (in all the games in the CL he played CF).

I agree he's a bit unrefined/chaotic and not sure he's what we're looking for, but I don't think he's anything like what you're describing. From what I saw he was a lot closer to the kind of roaming attacking midfielder/forward African countries used to produce like Okocha, Abedi Pele. Obviously nowhere near that level.

Unrefined. Chaotic. Talented. Skilful.  Capable of a bit of magic aye.  

He’s not even particularly fast.  He’s just got great feet, balance and agility so he can drop a shoulder and shimmy past a few players. 

He’s clearly a talent. Not saying we should sign him but the description of him is incorrect. And if we did sign him I think he has the talent/ceiling to succeed. 

8 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Unrefined. Chaotic. Talented. Skilful.  Capable of a bit of magic aye.  

He’s not even particularly fast.  He’s just got great feet, balance and agility so he can drop a shoulder and shimmy past a few players. 

He’s clearly a talent. Not saying we should sign him but the description of him is incorrect. And if we did sign him I think he has the talent/ceiling to succeed. 

Others seem to disagree so I’ll concede I’m probably wrong about how he plays :lol:. The times I’ve seen him he’s just looked like a fast, one footed winger that cuts in from the right. Still stand by what I said about him not having the creativity or class we need in that position though, although -as others have pointed out- he’s seemingly not an out and out winger.

14 hours ago, McCormick said:

I’m sure there’s a lot to work with there tbf; I’d just prefer someone with a bit more nous and intelligence to their game. We already have Almiron and Murphy who are similar in play-style to him.

This is the thing for me. We already have wide options both left and right if hard running, pace and a good ethic are the criteria. You could add Willock and Gordon to those two, probably Joelinton as well.

What we are really missing is someone who has that extra bit of nous and who can strike the ball well, to give you the goals and assists which will take us to the next level.